Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

kyb agx shocks and ground control coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyb agx shocks and ground control coilovers

Hey just lookin for peoples opinion on this setup of kyb agx shocks and ground control coilovers...I had this setup before my car was stolen and I'm recovering my car..I was thinking of buying the same setup because it seemed pretty good although this was my first car so I don't know what is good or not...if any one could put there two cents in it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: kyb agx shocks and ground control coilovers

Had this setup on my EJ8 and thought it was a good start up coilover combo. If you'd like to improve handling i'd go with the skunk2 slip over coilovers (civic or integra spring rates, your choice). The ride is harsher than the GC's but handling is improved by the higher spring rates. Keep in mind the agx's are a entry level adj shock, they aren't made to handle high spring rates and aren't made to be slammed. Im not one to say but i had my sk2 coilover/agx setup slammed, with 10k/8k spring rates. Best entry level setup i've ever had.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? Might as well go Koni/GC if your gonna start over.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do those ground control coilovers sit evenly on the kyb agx shocks? (like how it would sit on a koni?) Are those kyb agx design more for springs than coilovers..although I do see people have coilovers on kyb agx.

Any help from those who use kyb agx shocks.

Thanks,
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have this set up sitting in my room right now. I want to put them on my car, but I don't know how the GC sleeve is supposed to fit on the AGX; the split rubber tube is too wide, the supplied "large" O-rings are too big to fit between the shock and sleeve, and the supplied "small" O-ring is too small and allows freeplay.

What teh hell lol.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MugenEg
do those ground control coilovers sit evenly on the kyb agx shocks? (like how it would sit on a koni?) Are those kyb agx design more for springs than coilovers..although I do see people have coilovers on kyb agx.

Any help from those who use kyb agx shocks.

Thanks,
I've actually heard that some hondas just in general don't sit evenly..I had to adjust the left rear different from the right rear..but the front was fine
Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pcteck
I've actually heard that some hondas just in general don't sit evenly..I had to adjust the left rear different from the right rear..but the front was fine
MugenEG is talking about how the coilover sleeve fits on the shock. Not the overall stance of the car
Old 12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually like the AGX shocks.....it's just hard to recommend them when the koni sports are similar money and better. $450 shipped from TH on the sports or $376 shipped on the AGX via ebay

of course you use the standard GC kit on the AGX which is 40 bucks less so your total savings is 114
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by idrivesideways
i actually like the AGX shocks.....it's just hard to recommend them when the koni sports are similar money and better. $450 shipped from TH on the sports or $376 shipped on the AGX via ebay

of course you use the standard GC kit on the AGX which is 40 bucks less so your total savings is 114
I was on the fence about getting Koni Yellow's and I wound up getting the AGX's because I've heard alot of good stuff about them, and I couldn't find the Yellow's all that cheap. It was Xmas presents from my mom, so I didn't wanna kill her with the GC/Koni set up.

With that being said, do you know how the GC sleeve is supposed to fit on the AGX? I can't find a 100% sure way, so I can't put them on my car yet.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by awdgsx96
I was on the fence about getting Koni Yellow's and I wound up getting the AGX's because I've heard alot of good stuff about them, and I couldn't find the Yellow's all that cheap. It was Xmas presents from my mom, so I didn't wanna kill her with the GC/Koni set up.

With that being said, do you know how the GC sleeve is supposed to fit on the AGX? I can't find a 100% sure way, so I can't put them on my car yet.

well when i put the sleeves on the shocks it has a lot of play and i was worried about that..but i put them on anyways lol and when i dropped the car, the weight of the car made them have no play and they worked fine for me...i had them on my car for over a year before they were stolen
Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well when i put the sleeves on the shocks it has a lot of play and i was worried about that..but i put them on anyways lol and when i dropped the car, the weight of the car made them have no play and they worked fine for me...i had them on my car for over a year before they were stolen
don't worry about the play unless you general lee your car. the rate question is what i would be more focused on with the AGX. your tire choice, goals with handling and ride height effect this choice
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use the little O-rings at the least? I figured the weight would keep them in check, wasn't 100% sure.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this same setup and I love it. Handles great.

I don't know if this picture will help you out or not, but it's the only one I have of my GC's with KYB AGX. If you need a specific angle, let me know and I'll take it.

http://bluebomber.com/car/ej/DSC01543.JPG
Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bluebomber
I have this same setup and I love it. Handles great.

I don't know if this picture will help you out or not, but it's the only one I have of my GC's with KYB AGX. If you need a specific angle, let me know and I'll take it.

http://bluebomber.com/car/ej/DSC01543.JPG
Thanks, but I'm trying to see the sleeve on the shock. I'm just too concerned with it having freeplay. If I can't dig it up on here, I'll call GC.

Did you use the provided O-rings?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you use the little O-rings at the least? I figured the weight would keep them in check, wasn't 100% sure.

No I didn't use the o rings
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had the same setup for years on my EK - its been good .... but I agree, start fresh with GC + yellows
Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guys, since I didn't want to install the sleeves without them fitting properly, I called Ground Control and for $10 I got a washer kit with all different sizes.

Just a heads up if anyone else runs into this problem
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I'm bumping a really old thread, but I was hoping somebody could chime in about the installation of these two parts.

I have the shocks and are currently awaiting for the coilovers to come in (I got the GC's that were meant for non-Koni's).

I was searching around the net and the best thing that I came up with in terms of a detailed GC/KYB AGX install was a guy that installed this on his Miata.

But what he did was he removed the spring perches from the shocks so basically his install was almost like as if he were putting them on Koni's. And instead of the O-rings he used a cut up heater hose to cushion between the shock and the sleeve.

Granted this was a really old DIY that he made in 2001, but was the removal of the spring perches really necessary, or could I just leave them intact and just use the O-ring kit supplied with the GC's and slip them on and secure it with those onto the shock?

BTW this is going on a 93 civic DX coupe.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just install them. No need to remove perches. You're supposed to use the O-rings in ANY case or you will mushroom the sleeves.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How the hell do you guys dig up the old threads? And why? Make a new thread about the same thing so it's easier for us to navigate and you'll get your help a lot sooner and with less moaning from us older members.

Don't modify your shocks and coil-overs for any reason. That's very dangerous unless you really know what you're doing. Not a DIY type thing.

What is the advantage to be had?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh the beauty of the internet...

Damned if you dig up an old thread...

Damned if you start a new thread and don't use the search button.

The reason why the miata guy did it was because the GC's had a lip inside, kinda like how it would sit on the spring clip for the Koni's. But in order for them to seat properly, he had to knock off the spring perch because it was in the way.

But like I said earlier, his DIY was a long time ago so I'm guessing that the design of the sleeves might be a little different then they are now, but just wanted a little insight.

I don't have the GC's yet for me to play around with and I wanted to get a good idea on how these two parts would go together since I'm guessing that the coils won't have specific instructions.

I'm guessing had I made a new thread about this, I would've been told to use the search button as the topic of Ground Controls has been beaten to death?

That last question was rhetorical by the way. I know how H-T works.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would have told you to search. Mainly because there have been a few illustrated tutorials on GC installation since this was originally posted. In 11+ years there really hasn't been too much that has NOT been asked where these cars are concerned.

I would have told you that but I've been asked to turn over a new leaf.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by randomtask77
I'm guessing had I made a new thread about this, I would've been told to use the search button as the topic of Ground Controls has been beaten to death?

That last question was rhetorical by the way. I know how H-T works.
Not really, modifying functioning products isn't discussed often.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I would have told you to search. Mainly because there have been a few illustrated tutorials on GC installation since this was originally posted. In 11+ years there really hasn't been too much that has NOT been asked where these cars are concerned.

I would have told you that but I've been asked to turn over a new leaf.
LOL, I did search. That's how I came across this thread. I used this specific thread because I am putting GC's on KYB AGX's.

I don't really have a problem with how these sleeve type coilovers work, I was just wondering because I saw an alternate method of installation and was wondering if this option was better suited or just stick to how the sleeve normally goes onto the shock.

No worries though, I appreciate the insight and thank you for your reservation.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Modifying shocks/sleeves is typically considered to be very dangerous and unnecessary. Buy a kit that doesn't need modifying like koni/GC, progress, etc.

Koni SRT and ground control is arguably one of the cheapest/best setups money can buy for a casual tuner. At around $600 it's hard to beat. And the shocks and coil sleeve have a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: kyb agx shocks and ground control coilovers