Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
HondaCivic1993
New User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon2 Horn went off by itself when the car was parked

Hello everyone! (this is my first post)
The car is Honda Civic 1993, currently not sure about the specific model. The horn went off by itself when the car was parked. Could you tell me how can I fix this? In case the solution is not so simple, could you give some provisional resolutions like instructions on "how to disconnect the horn" to prevent that from happening again?

I found information that such thing can happen when the temperature drops. Still that doesn't help much.
HondaCivic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Pothole987
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Horn went off by itself when the car was parked

does it have an airbag? it may have collapsed keeping the circuit live ( making horn go off)

if it bugs you alot just unplug the horn and keep an air operated blow horn for a just incase incident.
Pothole987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
kozanatos
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCivic1993 View Post
Hello everyone! (this is my first post)
The car is Honda Civic 1993, currently not sure about the specific model. The horn went off by itself when the car was parked. Could you tell me how can I fix this? In case the solution is not so simple, could you give some provisional resolutions like instructions on "how to disconnect the horn" to prevent that from happening again?

I found information that such thing can happen when the temperature drops. Still that doesn't help much.
For now just unplug the fuse I guess...
kozanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Simkin314
Honda-Tech Member
1993 Honda Del Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pothole987 View Post
if it bugs you alot just unplug the horn ...
Plug located very close to the actual horn(s). Horns are located behind the front bumper cover likely near your radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
For now just unplug the fuse I guess...
Fuse-box located under the hood. Individual fuse positions are identified on fuse-box cover.

I agree with either one of these responses (especially the fuse one unless it controls a variety of accessories on the same circuit). You probably should start tracing out the wires looking for a potential shorts along the way. Also, make sure to check the horn buttons themselves. You may also need to figure out if there is a security system installed in some manner or another (because it could be a botched install).

Things don't magically turn on and off without incident. If a short occurred, something must have bumped the wire (i.e. a blast of wind may have hit the car jarring it enough) but something must have happened to cause the incident.
Simkin314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
HondaCivic1993
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Thank you all. I'll look into these solutions.

Actually, I already tried to remove the fuse, but on the chart I didn't see one for the horn. It should be named just "horn", right? No special names or symbols for that (forgive my ignorance, but I am a female and English is my second language, i.e. am not good in auto-terminology)

As far as what cause it to go off: When I parked it, nothing was wrong with it. A few hours later the temperature dropped significantly. Could that be the cause? Also, a neighbor told me that sometimes the horn goes off early in the morning ~5 o clock, when the temperature usually drops.

Also, the light on my dashboard can't turn on when it's cold outside.
Could these two issues be connected?

PS. I'm pretty sure there is no alarm system.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Simkin314
Honda-Tech Member
1993 Honda Del Sol

Quote:
Actually, I already tried to remove the fuse...
Sometimes, there are more things ran with the horn power circuitry (because it is commonplace to switch negative ground for car electronics). Therefore, you may (still not sure) not have a fuse that is dedicated solely to the horn.

Quote:
Also, a neighbor told me that sometimes the horn goes off early in the morning ~5 o clock, when the temperature usually drops...Also, the light on my dashboard can't turn on when it's cold outside.
Could these two issues be connected?
Yes, the issues could very well be connected. It seems to me that there is definitely an electrical problem that needs to be tracked down. The horn fuse may be labeled "STOP, HORN". If this is correct for you, then that fuse circuit is important (it is required for your brake lights), therefore you may not be able to pull it out if you want to drive the vehicle.

This will not fix the problem, but unplug the horn so as not to annoy your neighbors (see below for a generic picture of the horn(s) to unplug).

Name:  2009-09-17_134358_horn.gif
Views: 3840
Size:  6.3 KB
Simkin314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
HondaCivic1993
New User
Garage is empty, add now

@ Simkin314, thank you!

submit to reddit

Tags
1992, 2000, 2003, 2007, blast, car, civic, cold, drops, fuse, gmc, honda, horn, odyssey, off, tempature, working