Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Steering rack adjustment - Best thing I ever did.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack adjustment - Best thing I ever did.

Around 60 MPH on the highway, my steering would slowly get looser it felt like, also seemed to feel alott more dangerous the faster i got going, to the point to where I avoided highways because it felt like I was gonna die from it. So i ordered the $25 tool from honda to adjust the steering rack, figured it couldnt hurt to try and maybe i'd use the tool again in the future. So i got the tool today, loosened the 40mm locknut, and tightened the guide screw, it was about 1/2 turn out, factory specs say tighten all the way, then back it out 1/4 a turn. So i did that, and went for a drive. Immediatly i noticed it was alot stiffer feeling, kind of like i installed a brand new manual rack, but easier to turn when stopped. So i got on the highway and to my happy surprise, no looseness what so ever. There was no one on the highway so i decided to go a little faster (only like 95) just to see how it responded with higher speeds, still stiff as a board at that speed. Normally at 95 i would feel like i was on the verge of death. I also had alot of vibration in the steering wheel before this, most all of the vibration at high speed went away as well.

So basically, if you have loose steering at high speeds, adjust your steering rack before anything. A simple 1/4 of a turn of the guide screw can make the biggest difference. I only posted this for people looking for answers to read this before they waste money on other parts before atleast trying this. This did it for me, anyway. Good luck

For quick reference, the part # for the tool to adjust the rack is
07916-SA50001 WRENCH (40MM)

$25 on Hondaautomotiveparts.com Acura doesnt stock it from what I could see anyway.

Happy steering?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack adjustment - Best thing I ever did.

could you also tighten the steering more? as in make it stiffer? so instead of backing out the screw 1/4 turn maybe 1/8? any down side to this?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by i2ice
could you also tighten the steering more? as in make it stiffer? so instead of backing out the screw 1/4 turn maybe 1/8? any down side to this?
I would imagine that that would be really hard to turn. It feels like I have no P/S while im driving now, which is perfect IMO. But still turns much easier than no P/S while not moving
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Can you post a picture of where you adjusted?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting, i have the same problem thought it would be my tie rods that is going out, but i have to give this a try. Thanks for the info
Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, i am going to have to give this a shot, at higher speeds my steering does feel a little wobbly.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to try this out too...here's the procedure from a manual:

1. Loosen the rack guide screw locknut with the special tool, then loosen the rack guide screw.

2. Tighten the rack guide screw until it compresses the spring and seats against the rack guide, then loosen it.

3. Retighten the rack guide screw to 3.9 Nm (2.9 ft. lbs.) , then back it off to specified angle. Specified Return Angle: 20°Max

4. Tighten the locknut while holding the rack guide screw.

5. Check for tight or loose steering through the complete turning travel.

6. Perform following inspections:

o Steering operation.
o Power assist with car parked.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does this tool work for all year integras? i got a 99, will it work? i definately have to try this out. thinking of replacing my tie rods because of my loose steering wheel. but going to try this out first. any pictures of how you did it? im a visual learner =P. thanks

edit: i just checked the hondaparts site and damm its 40 bucks shipped. haha do you think they have this at like an autozone? because they rent out tools for free.

Last edited by b20acura; 05-20-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: add question
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wanna send me the tool?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the location of this guide screw??? any picture?!?!?!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I have the same problem. I've stopped taking freeways because my steering has gotten loose at high speeds. I'll try this before replacing my tie rods.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furiousbob
Wow I have the same problem. I've stopped taking freeways because my steering has gotten loose at high speeds. I'll try this before replacing my tie rods.
That was my exact problem, deffinetly give this a try, i was pretty skeptic it would do anything.

The 40mm locknut should be for every honda steering rack, for the most part anyway. I know all integra's its gonna be the 40mm though.

Originally Posted by b20acura
does this tool work for all year integras? i got a 99, will it work? i definately have to try this out. thinking of replacing my tie rods because of my loose steering wheel. but going to try this out first. any pictures of how you did it? im a visual learner =P. thanks

edit: i just checked the hondaparts site and damm its 40 bucks shipped. haha do you think they have this at like an autozone? because they rent out tools for free.

Ahh I ordered it with other parts so the shipping wasnt as noticable. Autozone wont have it im pretty sure and adjustable wrenches wont fit into the area you need to get into

Here is a picture of the Honda wrench I took

Name:  IMG_2666.jpg
Views: 26070
Size:  83.7 KB

When you pull the bottom valve body cover (3 10mm bolts) itll expose 3 P/S hardlines going to the valve, and right above where the lines run to the valve you'll see a big 40mm locknut, with a 14mm bolt in the center of it. Basically you loosen the 40mm, tighten the 14mm while holding the 40mm and turn the 14mm all the way in tight, then back it out about 1/8th of a turnish. Then tighten the 40mm while your holding the 14, if that all makes sense. when I went to tighten the 14mm, it took about 1 full turn to get all the way tight, so it was about 7/8's of a turn to loose, which made the biggest difference.

Last edited by itslogz; 05-21-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any way you could snap a picture of where the guide is? I'm a relatively inexperienced mechanic, if that.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by Mojo-Jojo; 05-21-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I found this on ebay, think it'll work?

Search for item # 330325597752 on ebay.

It's only 11 dollars shipped, and you're allowed to make an offer!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that seem like a good idea to try
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent idea!!! def want to try this... BUMP bump... NICE post
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by erikiksaz1
Hey I found this on ebay, think it'll work?

Search for item # 330325597752 on ebay.

It's only 11 dollars shipped, and you're allowed to make an offer!
That looks like it would work, but the sids of it are really wide. When you get down under there and look, you really only have about 3 inches side to side to loosen or tighten. Thats why the honda wrench has alot of places inside the head of the wrench for it to fit on the nut to ensure to get on it you dont need to have the wrench turned sideways or something like that. The way the honda wrench is designed it makes sure you can stick it straight between the p/s lines and it fit right on the head of the locknut without having to turn the wrench to the right or left for it to fit on it, if you understand what i'm saying.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itslogz
That looks like it would work, but the sids of it are really wide. When you get down under there and look, you really only have about 3 inches side to side to loosen or tighten. Thats why the honda wrench has alot of places inside the head of the wrench for it to fit on the nut to ensure to get on it you dont need to have the wrench turned sideways or something like that. The way the honda wrench is designed it makes sure you can stick it straight between the p/s lines and it fit right on the head of the locknut without having to turn the wrench to the right or left for it to fit on it, if you understand what i'm saying.
i definitely need to try this. i have steering wheel shaek above 70 and gets worse as i go faster and it seems like my car is floating because its not stable.

Im unclear where this adjusting nut is, do you get under your dash or under your car? from the picture looks like your car.

now does doing this put extra stress on the power steering system?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
i definitely need to try this. i have steering wheel shaek above 70 and gets worse as i go faster and it seems like my car is floating because its not stable.

Im unclear where this adjusting nut is, do you get under your dash or under your car? from the picture looks like your car.

now does doing this put extra stress on the power steering system?
No extra stress that I know of, its jjst adjusting the rack back to factory specs so i dont see how it could.

If you look at your driver side front wheel, lower your head down to looking under the car, and look at where the inner tie rod goes to the rack, right behind the inner tie rod you'll see a cover covering up the bottom of the steering rack. Remove that cover, then youll see the big *** nut with the 14mm nut in the middle.

Im gonna take a pic of it tonight for reference.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No extra stress that I know of, its jjst adjusting the rack back to factory specs so i dont see how it could.

If you look at your driver side front wheel, lower your head down to looking under the car, and look at where the inner tie rod goes to the rack, right behind the inner tie rod you'll see a cover covering up the bottom of the steering rack. Remove that cover, then youll see the big *** nut with the 14mm nut in the middle.

Im gonna take a pic of it tonight for reference.
sweet....right on.

i might just bring it to acura to check it for me. hopefully they will do it for free since it is just a matter if tightening a nut

think this all started after i took my teg for snowboarding, i had to use snow chains and that rocked the car like crazy especially the steering wheel.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
sweet....right on.

i might just bring it to acura to check it for me. hopefully they will do it for free since it is just a matter if tightening a nut
I heard someone took there car to acura/honda and they had no clue what a steering rack adjustment was. Im sure if they do know they'll want like $40 to do it.

Uploading pics in a little bit of pics of where the adjustment bolt is.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup. I checked with a friend of mine that is an Integra enthusiast and mechanic, and he said that the screw is meant to be tightened over time as pieces in the steering slowly wear. It's totally normal.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM

^ Makes sense.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey OP, could you please measure how thick your authentic wrench is?

I don't have the funds to be spending money on random wrenches, but I can shore call up bike shops to get some measurements.

Quick Reply: Steering rack adjustment - Best thing I ever did.