Notices

Rally jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally jack stands

I thought you guys may get a kick out of these.

Rally, pin-style jack stands that I finally got around to building for the car. Unlike most rally jack stands, ours are adjustable height.

Allows us to get the car up pretty high in the shop, and also is quicker & safer when servicing on uneven surfaces like those we find at our service areas.

For safety reasons I don't recommend building your own jack stands unless you know what you're doing.

Complete Gallery

Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally jack stands

if u push on the car from the side doesnt it fall off those?

those look freaky as ****
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats stable? Love the idea... but looks like it could be a bit wobbly. Or am I dead wrong?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Unless those posts are being inserted into some pretty precise bushings to prevent tilting, I wouldn't trust those to be supportive in the side-to-side direction at all. Even with bushings it's still sketchy. It wouldn't take much tilting before those posts fail and the whole thing collapses. Just add some braces in the other direction and I'd say you're good .
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like its commonly used on all of the WRC cars, some even use "round tubing"

Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

difference between the rally 1s and his are the rally ones have a 3point bottom instead of a flat 2 point bottom. the 3 point seems to be much more stable than the flat plane.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only the Subaru ones have the 3rd point...most teams use the same style as Kris'....although, some of those welds look a little iffy, Kris
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those are pretty cool! Looks like the dowel/tube going into the side of the car is acting as the 3rd leg. It would have to break before the car fell to one side.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it the pins go into your cage inside the car? I would love to see more civic rally pics. We do that at work too.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At first glance they may look unsafe, but if you think of the concept of how they work, I'm sure its pretty hard to knock a car off of them because there acting upon each other.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by shortyz21
if u push on the car from the side doesnt it fall off those?
Well the 5" long, 3/4" pins are inserted into a 3/4" ID DOM 'sockets'. There is no possibility of the car falling off.

The only thing that can happen is if somehow the car gets shoved, the jackstands twist and the metal deforms. Basically like a normal jackstand failure. The nice thing about these is that they handle uneven ground better and have a larger footprint than normal ones.

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
I take it the pins go into your cage inside the car? I would love to see more civic rally pics. We do that at work too.
On most rally cars, the sockets just go into slightly reinforced sills. In our case, we ended up tying into the roll cage on both the front and rear sockets. I dug up a couple of photos to illustrate... Will get a couple better photos this weekend.

We've got tons of Honda/Acura rally car build photos:
Civic Rally Car Build Photos

Integra Rally Car Build Photos

Originally Posted by Evs-One
Only the Subaru ones have the 3rd point...most teams use the same style as Kris'....although, some of those welds look a little iffy, Kris
The welds are actually pretty solid. Good penetration. Plus everything is in shear.

I'm considering putting a bump-out leg kinda like the Subaru one actually. WRC guys get to surface on pavement--we often are on grass, mud or dirt. Having the extra surface area may be good. Plus can put a magnetized tray for lugnuts, etc.

There was a bit of wobble side-to-side, but it seemed to be isolated in the adjuster socket--perhaps that is why none of the big teams use an adjustable height unit! If I can't solve that problem I'll just weld it up solid (with a bolt through, in double-shear) and be done with it.

This may surprise you guys, but the top US and WRC rally teams build the entire cars on jackstands like these--they often don't use lifts. I suspect they do this because they want to make sure everything can be easily serviced in the field.

Here is a cool video of a Peugeot 307 being built:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9N3cd_w_0
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evs-One
although, some of those welds look a little iffy, Kris
I think I spotted the one weld that you probably think is particularly iffy. Pretty funny what happened on that one.

So was using a Miller auto-darkening helmet, which is awesome. I'm welding up one of the stands and I'm like "god damn this thing isn't dark enough", so I adjust the darkness up, and still having problems. You know the solar panel on the front of the masks? That is just the sensor--they still need batteries! Batteries died out on me, had to go buy some CR batteries at the drug store to finish the project.

Net result is that I got a little off the 'ideal racing line' on one of 'em.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do a lot of service on dirt you may want to add removable base plates to spread the load and prevent a stand from sinking.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MIdsm
If you do a lot of service on dirt you may want to add removable base plates to spread the load and prevent a stand from sinking.
We typically use wood plates under the jackstands, but we have considered making clip on ones for these.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
At first glance they may look unsafe, but if you think of the concept of how they work, I'm sure its pretty hard to knock a car off of them because there acting upon each other.
i agree, when i first saw it, kinda scary, but after looking at the rally pics and such, its almost like your car is a big table, and its pretty hard to flip over a 3,000lb table.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a pretty cool idea ive never seen before
Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to put the small parts/lugnut tray on em like in the second pic. Pretty cool though. outta curiousity, how much do they cost retail?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is a good site with rally car tech pictures Rotten - hoods open , exhausts etc? they seem really hard to find lol. The Rad fan set up on that green car is sweet. Thanks for posting
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally I would make them 3 point, you can never be too safe

and about that video, its funny how 1 guy puts the engine in and then 3 others come along to put on stickers hahaha