Notices

headed towards the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 AM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headed in the right direction

i want to get you guys opinions about my set up. hopefully im headed in the right direction, i still consider myself a noob so please correct me when im wrong. my goals for my 93 si are about 200hp to the wheels and 200 foot pounds of torque. i dont know much about electronics and wiring so if its not plug and play im not messing with it. its currently throwing CELs about a MAF sensor/missing link but a friend of mine will chip an ecu for me so i wont have to use the greddy blue box anymore. if i've left anything out please let me know. i pretty much want to be done with this and make it as reliable as i can so i can give to my younger brother for school. im honestly getting to old for this.

current set up
d16z6 with about 200k!!
everythings stock unless stated otherwise
greddy td04h-15g turbo and greddy manifold, internal wg ~ changed to spoolin performance log mani and tial 38mm external wg
greddy down pipe ~ changed to 2.5 kteller dp
greddy fuel management(not sure if this is blue box or not)
greddy ic
running on basemap with 5-6 psi, untuned im assuming.
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
dsm 450cc injectors
chipped ecu to replace greddy fuel management altogether, letting my friend handle this bc i know jack about tuning
2.5 inch exhaust piping with vibrant muffler
ARP head studs
cometic head gasket from go-autoworks

i could use your opinions on anything!!

Last edited by tnk; 04-15-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:22 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 AM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tnk)

boo
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: headed towards the right direction

last bump b4 i kill this thread
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a pretty good base, im not sure of that little turbo and engine can get you to your goal but it will be fun to drive.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:47 AM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

thanks boostedcivicsir
Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Greddy SOHC kit is good for 240whp, and is an excellent entry level or daily driver type setup. Hell, I'm a little past entry level but I'd sport one on my DD if I ran across one for a good price. I like them.

Everything you listed looks good, but you do not need either fuel pump or ARP headstuds. If you haven't bought those yet, don't bother.

Two caveats:

- Upgrade the wiring to your fuel pump, both power and ground. 10-14 gauge wiring, run the ground to the block; the OE solution using the factory unibody as a ground path is horrible. I use a spare headlight (or Bosch) relay to switch the new *fused* power wire, and use the stock pump wiring to trigger the relay. Do this and the stock pump should provide at or a little over 300 whp. You should be able to hear a difference in the pump when you cycle the ignition key + the pump primes, instead of gurgling it will hum crisply.

- Get the car ready for tuning, and tuned, ASAP. The basemap thing works out poorly for most people, despite the handful that talk loudly on the internet about their engine not coming apart.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

thanks Joseph Davis for the expertise. i'll have to look more into the fuel pump wire upgrade.

i actually met a guy where i live that said he was from ashville, he drives a blue maserati. i doubt u know him but u never know.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old dude with the canes? I forget his name but he makes the bar scene pretty often. He's the only Maserati owner I know (or of) but I figure someone in Biltmore Forest has to have an old Bi-Turbo forgotten in their five car garage.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks fine, my friends D setup was close 2 that.. Tune it and youll get better gas mileage than factory(if u dont beat on it everywhere)
Old 02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the subject of mpg, I got an extra 7 mph highway utilizing a wideband closedloop that targeted 17.2:1 AFR. Other's mileage may vary, some cars won't pull themselves when that lean + the beater has a bit more CR and quench than the average Honda, but there *are* gains to be made.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joseph Davis
Old dude with the canes? I forget his name but he makes the bar scene pretty often. He's the only Maserati owner I know (or of) but I figure someone in Biltmore Forest has to have an old Bi-Turbo forgotten in their five car garage.
lol he mentioned the scene there was pretty good, to bad its not the same guy tho.
Originally Posted by streetracer6rpt
looks fine, my friends D setup was close 2 that.. Tune it and youll get better gas mileage than factory(if u dont beat on it everywhere)
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis
On the subject of mpg, I got an extra 7 mph highway utilizing a wideband closedloop that targeted 17.2:1 AFR. Other's mileage may vary, some cars won't pull themselves when that lean + the beater has a bit more CR and quench than the average Honda, but there *are* gains to be made.
the gas mileage im getting now is pretty decent. i dont ever rag on it ever and can get 300 miles with 1/4 tank left. i dont ever let it get lower then that. i cant imagine after a tune. last summer i wanted to see how much i could get on a full tank and got to 425 miles and finally filled up bc i was to chicken to let it run anymore miles.

well i have my walbro fuel pump already just not installed. i think i will go ahead with the ARP head studs, the $100 is extra insurance and peace of mind.

Last edited by tnk; 02-15-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'de be better off sending that $ 100.00 to me than buying the ARP studs, nothing will happen to your head at your power levels, it's a waste of money, stick with OEM head bolts. Got good news for you though, that "oval" exhaust that you mention in your first post will add + 120 hp, it's very JDM these days ... quit being a n00b and start researching this Sh*t.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

im not expert when it comes to FI but for my level of experience, i think i've done my fair share of research. u can only research so much until u have to start asking questions. dont get me wrong but i dont want to come of *** a dick, but wasted money is mine that doesnt effect u so whats the big deal? its only a bill. and as far as the oval exhaust, whats ur deal?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 AM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

i thought i'd never find this thread again

bump for changes in my set up

opinions please!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Did you do the headgasket yet? I was told to go with OEM by my FI buddies. I used cometic my first time - blew it in one week, then went back to oem and it's been fine. Of course I used copperspray on the cometic which is a big no no. Anyways just a thought.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never had the head off my z6, it ran 13.2 at 107mph with stock head bolts and a stock fuel pump.

this was on a little te04h turbo at about 15psi.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20EF
Did you do the headgasket yet? I was told to go with OEM by my FI buddies. I used cometic my first time - blew it in one week, then went back to oem and it's been fine. Of course I used copperspray on the cometic which is a big no no. Anyways just a thought.
havent done the hg yet but its paid for so i might as well use it.
Originally Posted by welfarepc
i have never had the head off my z6, it ran 13.2 at 107mph with stock head bolts and a stock fuel pump.

this was on a little te04h turbo at about 15psi.
13.2 wow thats impressive, im aiming for high 13s since im a crappy driver, i think its bc i granny shift