Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Brake Rotors from China - the truth

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotors from China - the truth

Ever wonder who is actually making your brake rotors. If you think any brand is actually not from China, have a read here:

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/701_731/pub4009.pdf

It seems many players you know are simply "re-finishers" of imported rotors, and don't actually produce anything in the sense of the word as understood in the anti-dumping investigation. See names like Stoptech, Performance Friction, Willwood, Coleman and others, and learn for yourself who does what. Things are changing rapidly.

Some quotes from the June 2008 document:

“No effect - will continue to buy from our current suppliers as there is no longer any U.S. production.”

“The Major players in the US Aftermarket Brake Industry in 1997 were Raybestos, Bendix, Wagner, and EIS. Since that time most of these companies are merely a shell of what they once were. EIS was bought out by Federal Mogul who owns the Wagner Brand, who is currently in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Raybestos has been bought and sold several times. They are currently owned and operated by an investment capital group.

Further, they are now a purchasing and marketing company, and they no longer are a primary manufacturer. Bendix owned by Honeywell has been in and out of financial difficulty for many years. The Automotive Aftermarket Portion of which is for sale. What caused all this upheaval? It has been my observation that much of these closings, consolidations, and sales were caused by these major US manufacturers failure to adapt quickly or at all to changes in the market and the world economy.”

“Many companies began importing Chinese Brake Rotors as a companion product to their Manufacturer Branded premium product. This dual line switch began on only the fast moving part numbers to help the Jobber or WD increase their margins. Even the Premium US Manufacturers offered short lines of economy priced product produced in China or alternative countries to help their full line suppliers offer alower cost higher margin product.”
“Initially China had its share of quality and delivery problems which kept the growth of Chinese Rotors slow for many years, most of the early to mid 1990s. Once Chinese Manufacturers were able to upgrade their machining equipment and processes, the Chinese product improved greatly and the consistency of quality improved, as well as logistics.”
“These improvements along with Technology, a favorable exchange rate and a growing Chinese Economy, made it possible for smaller US companies to work with Chinese Manufacturers to develop a full range of Brake Rotors. Some companies coupled the purchase of Chinese Rotors with the global development of other brake categories like Brake Pads, Hydraulic Cylinders, Brake Shoes, etc to develop full brake systems programs. "

etc.

Last edited by descartesfool; 12-14-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Updated link to pdf from USITC
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Rotors from China - the truth

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Ever wonder who is actually making your brake rotors. If you think any brand is actually not from China, have a read here:
Yep, I knew this several years ago.

China's quality standards blow due to inconsistant raw materials they use. They purchase raw materials on a need bases only. One batch of rotors maybe great, the next maybe made from an old Russian tank. Their consistancy sucks.

And yes, I've had good sets of the China stuff and others I've warpped in only a couple laps. - Old debate.

On the other hand, the Australians care about quality and consistancy. http://www.dba.com.au/2006/default.aspDBA

DBA's are more expansive but you get what you pay for.

Another note, ever wonder who is actually making your brake PADS? Most are just repackaged.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't everything from China?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by JohnW

China's quality standards blow due to inconsistant raw materials they use. They purchase raw materials on a need bases only. One batch of rotors maybe great, the next maybe made from an old Russian tank. Their consistancy sucks.

And yes, I've had good sets of the China stuff and others I've warpped in only a couple laps. - Old debate.

On the other hand, the Australians care about quality and consistancy. http://www.dba.com.au/2006/default.aspDBA

Another note, ever wonder who is actually making your brake PADS? Most are just repackaged.
This may be true but it is more a reflection on the U.S. companies and the Chinese suppliers they have chosen to partner with. There are plenty of Chinese companies that produce parts as good as or better than any U.S. or European company, it's just a matter of taking the time to find them and building a partnership with them.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got no name rotors on the racecar and they lasted all season (8 race weekends, street driving, bunch of autocrosses). the rear rotors are oem honda with probably 70k on them at this point

i think there are some things that you can buy the chinese version and some things you should spring for the good stuff. i haven't had any 'cheap' rotors explode or anything like that. so i'm ok with using them. will i use knock off brand wheel berrings and hubs? heck no.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JW -- I got a 404 error trying the DBA link ...

P.S. How's your new brake caliper setup working out? Ed
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the world started in china ! in a sweat shop !
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lo-Buck EF
...i think there are some things that you can buy the Chinese version and some things you should spring for the good stuff....
But there is virtually no such thing as the "good stuff" when it comes to brake rotors. Almost every rotor you can buy is made in China as proven in that document. Some guys simply re-finish them like Wilwood, Stoptech, Powerslot, etc,etc and cut gooves in them or plate them and then they pretend it is the good stuff. But it is just the same stuff from Chinese foundries found in the cheap boxes, made to look better. If you read through some of that document I linked, you will see that there are essentially no rotors made in the USA. Perhaps Performance Friction makes their own, but even that is doubtful, as all the US brake foundries seem to have closed. There might be some foundries that use a better grade of gray iron than others, but how would you know?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zygspeed
JW -- I got a 404 error trying the DBA link ...

P.S. How's your new brake caliper setup working out? Ed
Hi Ed-

Not sure what is causing the 404 error. A Google search will find ya the DBA homepage. They also sell them at Tire Rack, etc.

The Powerbrake BBK is still being built. I hope to have it shortly after the year starts.

JW
Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Vietnamese!

Get japan made haha
Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
Get japan made haha
Fail.

that reminds me, i gotta order a spare set of pads for this season.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Vietnamese!

Originally Posted by Lo-Buck EF
Fail.

that reminds me, i gotta order a spare set of pads for this season.
i was jk.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about Brembo?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really, who cares?

So everything is made in china, so what. I'm failing to see your point. How are rotors made by overpaid union factory workers in the US any different than rotors made by underpaid Chinese factory workers? Does being "made in the USA" automagically make something better quality? Does being Made in Chine automagically make something of lower quality?

Thanks for "cracking this case wide open" Jeraldo, I had no idea that parts were made in china.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Hi Ed-

Not sure what is causing the 404 error.
You did it by erroneously adding DBA to the end of the correct website address...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know who makes my pads They are made in Charlotte
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nonsense
really, who cares?

So everything is made in china, so what. I'm failing to see your point. How are rotors made by overpaid union factory workers in the US any different than rotors made by underpaid Chinese factory workers? Does being "made in the USA" automagically make something better quality? Does being Made in Chine automagically make something of lower quality?

Thanks for "cracking this case wide open" Jeraldo, I had no idea that parts were made in china.
Hey mr. urban haute bourgeois I care and it makes a difference to me, I live on Main St, not Wall St.

Metallurgical standards are more stringent in the US, net result, is a difference in performance.

The average "overpaid" union factory worker in the US makes just over 50k/year, "real fat", now quit with the misconceptions.

And the are no such things as Sasquatchie, another figment of your over active imagination.

Last edited by DB2-R81; 02-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Well, I have enjoyed the entertainment factor (and the aticle), but let me get this straight. you buy a Honda, then try to decide whether to use crap from China or crap from the U.S.! Honda rotors for Honda cars. how cheap can you be...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DB2-R81
Hey mr. urban haute bourgeois I care and it makes a difference to me, I live on Main St, not Wall St.

Metallurgical standards are more stringent in the US, net result, is a difference in performance.

The average "overpaid" union factory worker in the US makes just over 50k/year, "real fat", now quit with the misconceptions.

And the are no such things as Sasquatchie, another figment of your over active imagination.
$50k/year is well above the Detroit Median household income ($32k). Median home price in Detroit is $126k. If you can't survive in a manufacturing town on $50k/year you have issues.

The point is if you run a business and you have to sell your parts for 2x the cost of your competitors, or switch over to cheaper manufacturing which will you do? 99.9999% of people could give two ***** about where the part is made, they want to buy it cheap and put it on the car. The other .0001% can pay more for US made parts, or STFU.

Wait you live in CANADA so STFU about the US economy or where parts are made.You don't live on "main street" you live on Marx Street.

Oh last I checked Wall street was in NY, not OR.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Can we keep the conversation about car parts, rather than politics, please?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
Can we keep the conversation about car parts, rather than politics, please?
I thought that was the OP's intention? Otherwise this thread is pointless. Parts are made in China, end of non-political story.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most big race teams that compete in some form of sedan (not F1/Champ/etc) buy/use Stoptech, Brembo, Performance Friction, etc brakes, they seem to be doing JUST fine on the "cheap stuff". It's not like any drivers are pulling into pits complaining that the gray iron in their rotors isn't high enough quality to make a fast lap.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonsense
really, who cares?

chinese manufactures do whatever it takes to save a buck that's why thier products generally lack consistancy. like already stated
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ true, dat

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors from China - the truth