Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Honda Civic Cold Air Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Civic Cold Air Intake??

Want to know if anyone here have experience with Honda Civic cold air intake? I'm planning to get one if i can but need to know the if the installation is eazy or difficult and how do i know which intake is good or not? I have honda civic 2002 and need to know what kind should look for and how much? Let me know if right.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just keep your stock one unless you want that cool sound
Old 12-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool sounds FTW!!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated before, all you get from buying an intake is the cool sound... Also it depends where you live, to which intakes you can use on your car, if you live in california, then you have to get one that gives you a CARB emissions sticker for you car... Other than california, i dont think there are any other states that require certain brands, so its up to you, to which one you want... Also there are many threads about intakes, if you just search... and intake is probably the easiest thing to install... Its just plug and play...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking for an intake not over $100 to spend. Looking for an intake that come with the kits and manual how to install it. Also need to know if the brands name matters? Don't know where to buy it except ebay.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your'e located in cali...chances are u wont find an intake new for less han $100 and is not generic. where are u located? if your'e in cali, i hav a guy that sells injen intakes for a very good price, but dunno if he's still in business. shoot me a pm anywhoo
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ken9
I'm looking for an intake not over $100 to spend. Looking for an intake that come with the kits and manual how to install it. Also need to know if the brands name matters? Don't know where to buy it except ebay.
Take it from me, I've done a lot of research, and it's been proven that the intake itself doesn't matter. What I've decided, and a lot of people will agree, is that the best way to put an intake on a D17 is get a cheap ($20) eBay intake of your preference, and throw away the filter that comes with it. Go to Dezod and buy an AEM DryFlow filter, and you'll be getting the exact same "performance gains" (read:noise) you'd get as with a full AEM or other name brand intake.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only issue at hand would just be whether or not you live in cali, if so.... then you have to buy the expensive ones, if you want to pass your emissions test... And as far as ebay intakes, they dont generally come with an instruction manual, but you can just get on google and search for em2 cold air intake install, and im sure youll find something...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are some DIYs on 7thgenhonda.com and some members that'd be happy to talk you through it, too. It's not a hard procedure at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM

intake on a d17 is ussless just go to autozone or any other place you get your parts and get a K&N filter for your stock one. but if you must just get an ebay one for like 20 bucks and buy a good filter for it, it should be about 40, so you saved like 200 dollers right there insted of getting the 250 300 doller "brand names"
Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't use a K&N filter.

They built up their reputation in racing, where filtration effectiveness doesn't matter quite as much. Something I read a while back said K&N filters really on get about 92% filtration. Yeah, it's a big number, but relatively speaking, it's pretty bad. If you're keeping the stock airbox, go with an OEM filter. You won't even get a different sound with a K&N replacement filter. If you want something pretty in the engine bay, get an eBay intake and put a good filter on it.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi! I want an intake because i want to hear the engine sound. I heard that it also give extra horse power. I live mostly cold weather so i don't think it will be problem to have an cold air intake? Does this site sell intake for civic 2002? How much should i spend to have a good decent intake? Let me know if right.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is best to stick with your stock setup, however there are benefits to a short ram intake. It will let your car breath better, and I saw improved mileage. Cold air I do not recommend for our cars, as there is little space to route the piping unless you plan on relocating your battery
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live mostly cold weather so i don't think it will be problem to have an cold air intake? Does this site sell intake for civic 2002?
cold weather doesnt really have anything to do whether or not you should get it, other than the fact that it is a pain in the *** to install cold airs on our cars, if you live in a place where it rains often, then you could end up getting water in your intake, through the intake manifold and screw up your motor, for what? 5 extra horsepower at best?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^not even 5hp... maybe .5hp
Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi! I want an intake because i want to hear the engine sound. I heard that it also give extra horse power. I live mostly cold weather so i don't think it will be problem to have an cold air intake? Does this site sell intake for civic 2002? How much should i spend to have a good decent intake? Let me know if right.
I would go with a short ram air intake. with the setups on the newer civics, it will give you more room and sound great! i have a aem short ram intake and it kicks *** lol.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No cold air intake on d17= ZERO HP GAIN....If you want an intake fine...but just got on ebay and get one. They are like $20-300 you decide how much you want to spend on it. Either way it doesnt really matter b/c they will all sound the same and give you the same HP..and that is zero......It is extremely easy to put the intake on..seriously you dont need intructions or anything...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20civicsi
I would go with a short ram air intake. with the setups on the newer civics, it will give you more room and sound great! i have a aem short ram intake and it kicks *** lol.
yup aem is legit, thats how i roll too
Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM

i have an ebay cold air intake that you can turn into a short ram by just not installing the other pipe that i can sell for ten bucks... any takers?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 PM

By the way, Cold air intakes made for a manual do not fit an automatic, parts of the transmission get in the way. Havent seen that anywhere and I had to Learn that the hard way, haha.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you arent going to see any power gains.
only sound
Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 PM

I got the AEM V2.
It sounds awesome! Everytime you will hear the sound, you will feel like pressing on the gas more, because it will sound even cooler!
Get it man, dont wait, just get it!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before i purchase an cold air intake. Curious to know will it fix both manual automatic vehicle. I should get the short intake, right? I have never in my life install an cold air intake so it will be first timer. Let me know if right.

Ken
Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 AM

yes there is a difference the manual intakes will NOT fit on the automatic cars unless maybe you get a short ram... their pretty easy to install man all you need is a wrench a small extensin and a 10mm socket.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated before..... manual cold airs will not fit on automatics because the transmission gets in the way... is the transmission anywhere near the stock intake? NO... therefore with a short ram intake you dont need to worry about fitment.... and about horsepower gains? did you dyno your car before and after putting the intake on? probably not... either way 5hp isnt enough to feel a difference whether it actually happens or not? who cares.... your not gona get much NA power out of the d17 regardless of what you do....

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Cold Air Intake??