Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install.

Hi-
I just bought an 07' Odyssey EX-L with factory Rear Ent. System (DVD). I have an Alpine IVA-D310 aftermarket cd/dvd 7" touch screen I intend to install. The problem is... I don't want the rear dvd system to be wasted. When we unhook the main harness from the factory 6 disc we loose all power to the rear dvd.

Unfortunately factory units do not have RCA's, they only have switch/wired harnesses so Connecting the factory screen to my alpine is impossible. My installer and I, after hours of tracing and testing wires with a multi-meter, have discovered that the only thing that we need is the ability to access this 1 button on the factory cd face labeled "rear power" and all will be good! I ordered a wiring diagram from http://www.helminc.com or net?

The factoy dvd head unit is at the very bottom of the dash (seperate from where my aftermarket will be installed).

Soo... I guess my question is : Does anyone have ANY kind of information that could possibly help me get power to the factory rear dvd system.

I'm thinking that finding the power wire and possibly linking a remote wire (like an amp) so when the key is turned it will getpower?

My current suggestions are: Try to remove the factory "Face" along with the 6 disc, but leave the brains in the dash and just install my Alpine on top of that brained factory unit where the 6 disc was. To do this, we would (instead of cutting the wires and connecting them to the alpine harness) just tap into and share power with factory to the Alpine. The one prob could be : By removing the face it could screw up a circuit boad, which could make it all die.

PLEASE... IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF SUGGESTIONS OR INFORMATION I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install. (speshl_k_25)

I would drop the rear screen and find the power and ground inputs and run a power lead to an acc. source, ground to the chassis then find the video input and if there is nor standard RCA video input there I would install a female RCA pigtail and run a standard RCA video lead to the Alpines video output, and remove all of the stock HU and DVD system.
The above of coarse depends on the stock DVD being a "slave" unit, [no controls other then eject]. 94
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Re: 07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install. (fcm)

Hey- thanks for your info man. It's really appreciated! I just got the "Electrical Odyssey wiring book" from Helm today. I got it to my installer today so we're going to give it a shot tomorrow.

The DVD player is only a cd slot and an eject button, but its in the front of the vehicle at the very bottom of the console. it would be nice if the dvd player itself was closer to the screen and controls (on the ceiling). Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but: What does the letters HU mean in your response? Head unit? Man... I hate that the factory dvd & screen doesn't have Rca's . What the hell? There has to be a way to convert the wires running into the harness to rca's. I would love to controll the screen with my Alpine... Lord knows its capable, but right now I'd just like to get it to work Period.

This is something that HAS to come up often. Not just w/ Hondas, but with any vehicle with a RES and an owner wanting a screen up front (aftermarket cd player). I contacted my local Circuit City and they said that they have never had a factory DVD screen /unit function after installing an aftermarket unit. I know there is a way! It's just finding someone who has made the effort to do it.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install. (speshl_k_25)

Yes there is a way to add RCAs I have done it to more then a few "RES" screens when installing new HUs.
All the rear screen needs is power and ground and the video input and it is just a matter of finding the right leads, I do not like to cut up the stock harnesses so I will make my connections right to the PDB in the rear screen housing and run my own leads. 94
Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 07' Odyssey: Factory rear DVD system functioning after Aftermarket Cd install. (fcm)

did you ever figure this out as I'm working on a customers car trying to do the same thing.