Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Chirping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping noise

I have a 1995 Accord EX, manual with app 110,000 miles. A year ago I had "transmission work" i.e. $1500 in unnecessary tranny work, done by a local repair shop for what turned out to be a $250 CV axle problem. After they removed and reinstalled my tranny, I've noticed a chirping noise whenever I am in idle. It stops only when I press on the clutch.
Also, I now can only put my car in 1st gear at nearly a dead stop (where before their "repairs" I could when cruising at up to 5mph+). Also I constantly have resistance when trying to shift directly from 1st to 2nd. There is noticeable friction in my stick during the shift, as if I'm grinding gears, which doesnt happen if I shift from 1st to neutral and then to 2nd.
What could that chirping noise indicate? Could the shop have reinstalled my transmission incorrectly or off-balanced? Could this be doing further damage to my clutch or transmission?
And is there anyone in the Salt Lake City area that can refer me to a reliable shop that wont screw me as royally as I've been already?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Chirping noise (RainsLoveNate)

There is a small cylinder called a slave cylinder on your trans that moves the clutch fork to engage and disengage your clutch. It is a hydraulic cylinder it could be bad or could be as simple as low on fluid . I,m not sure were the reservoir is located on your car you could get a manual or have one of the people with more Honda knowledge on this site tell you but it would be the smallest one under the hood .Also if it is low it may need to be bleed when you add fluid there is a bleeder nipple on the cylinder it self have some pump the clutch pedal a few times then crack it open then repeat until no air comes out . You should also check your reservoir when done because it will most likely be low on fluid .
Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Also the chirping noise you hear is probably the throw out bearing which is on the end of the clutch arm and it goes on the input shaft of your trans .As far of any damage to a honda trans i dont know for sure but ive heard of them doing this for years on some older cars .
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my 99 accord does the same thing i was told it was my throw out bearing to but i had a brand new clutch put in at a shop though, and had the same noise again not to long after that, im about to install a new master and slave clutch cylinder soon i can let you know if it works.