Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag?

just wondering. ive seen some cars with the rear sitting high and front real low? will this increase traction normally or no? if so i may raise my coil overs in the back up for the track.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Shooting Star

Im sure there is a limit to how high you want to go. What your after is getting leverage to the front tires.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

ya thats kinda what i thought.. i might mess with this at track.. i have bad traction problems always.. maybe it would help a tad
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97grnrs)

My car was much quicker after I lowered it. It was sitting kinda high in back to clear the Bogart skinnies, but when I switched to the Weld skinnies, I could tuck the tires, so I lowered it a lot, and got the quickest short times ever. And it looks a whole bunch better sitting low now.

My car has Mac strut suspension on all four corners, so that might play into it as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NativeSon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NativeSon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car was much quicker after I lowered it. It was sitting kinda high in back to clear the Bogart skinnies, but when I switched to the Weld skinnies, I could tuck the tires, so I lowered it a lot, and got the quickest short times ever. And it looks a whole bunch better sitting low now.

My car has Mac strut suspension on all four corners, so that might play into it as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats strange because you want to try to get the weight on the front tires and keep it planted there anyway you can keeping the rear end of your car cocked in the air will limit or make it harder for the weight transfer during the launch of cause coupled with the stiffer rear springs ect and softer fronts will all help or should help emulate this effect
Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (Richard...)

Yes, but..

By raising the rear, you're raising the overall center of gravity, which makes weight transfer easier.

Also, if you put a car on corner scales, and "raise" the rear, you'll see that you'll actually be shifting *more* weight onto those tires. At least, thats what I found.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before i installed my lsd, i had major traction issues with the right front. The car would go into full wheel spin. 1 tire fire ftl.
the left would not spin at all, even during a burn out.
my brother is a crew chief for a local circle jerk team(lol) and he started explaining how weight transfer really effects handling and launches. In any case long story short on a launch you want you car as level as possible when your car noses up and if your car lifts an inch in the front add an inch in the rear. In my case i raised the car an inch in the rear and still had the same traction issue. the car felt better on the launch but i still went into wheel spin(right front). before the next run i lifted the left rear an additional half inch to transfer more weight across the car to the right front.
the next burnout told all, both tires lit up the and the car hooked.
another little trick i learned was adding washers to the front sway bar on the side that spins.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is sitting lower in the rear than in the front.... and i cut 1.63 60 foots..
Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car is sitting lower in the rear than in the front.... and i cut 1.63 60 foots..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have seen this done before care to explain further please...?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Richard... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have seen this done before care to explain further please...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well it sits lower in the rear because when i take my street tires off and put my slicks on i have to raise the front so they will fit and im just too lazy to raise the rear lol....and since ive been doing good off the line ive never bothered touching the rear height. but i have a pretty stiff suspension.

24.5" tires in front and rasied higher
22" tires in rear

im going to be getting some 24.5" skinnies in the rear soon though.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well it sits lower in the rear because when i take my street tires off and put my slicks on i have to raise the front so they will fit and im just too lazy to raise the rear lol....and since ive been doing good off the line ive never bothered touching the rear height. but i have a pretty stiff suspension.

24.5" tires in front and rasied higher
22" tires in rear

im going to be getting some 24.5" skinnies in the rear soon though.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
thanks for your honesty

so i guess the lesson here is "if its not broke dont fix it" lol
Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Richard... &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats strange because you want to try to get the weight on the front tires and keep it planted there anyway you can keeping the rear end of your car cocked in the air will limit or make it harder for the weight transfer during the launch of cause coupled with the stiffer rear springs ect and softer fronts will all help or should help emulate this effect</TD></TR></TABLE>

As stated earlier, raising any part of the car raises the center of gravity, which increases weight transfer...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As stated earlier, raising any part of the car raises the center of gravity, which increases weight transfer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

which is what i said in the quote you quoted
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, you said the opposite.

"keeping the rear end of your car cocked in the air will limit or make it harder for the weight transfer"

Old 03-08-2008, 10:14 AM

so whats the outome &gt;? should a jack the rear up a bit or leave car level?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, you said the opposite.

"keeping the rear end of your car cocked in the air will limit or make it harder for the weight transfer"

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok perhaps my poor choice of wording!

however i was referring to the launch situation were the car most wants to squat taking weight from the front were it is most needed i hope i have clarified my self a little better?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97grnrs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so whats the outome &gt;? should a jack the rear up a bit or leave car level? </TD></TR></TABLE>

for what it is worth i would and do!

also might if not already look into stiffer springs for the rear to further this process
Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going from personal experience here, but when I had the back of the car up higher, the front was more prone to lifting up to meet the back end height.
After I lowered it, the car wanted to squat much less, meaning I had much less weight transfer. My car has plenty of weight over the front wheels, and the height of the back didn't really change how much weight I saw at the front wheels, when the car was weighed. (Within 5 lbs) All I'm saying, is that the lower the car sits, the less body movement it has. At least in my case. If you watch a vid of my car launching, you'll see it doesn't have any rear squat at all. it just accelerates forward. Maybe you could describe it as being "pre-squatted", lol. I had a 1.56 60' time with that setup, but I also nuked the motor on that same pass, lol.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a pass.... this was only a 1.69 though because i was getting too anxious (first pass of the day)

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...3.htm

keep an eye on the suspension.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is a pass.... this was only a 1.69 though because i was getting too anxious (first pass of the day)

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...3.htm

keep an eye on the suspension.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It also helps knowing how to drive!!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag? (97grnrs)

i would say u want it a little higher in the rear. But having a stiff *** spring setup would work alot better. imo
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Re: any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag? (streetracer6rpt)

...and so, despite several attempts, another incorrect theory is proliferated. Jacking up the rear is counterproductive.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Re: any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag? (T4 Neon)

some say do some say dont.. so who has actually tried it?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do the rear about a 1/4"-1/2" lower and youll be golden

think about the physics here
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM

all i see is when i launch the front lifts. so assuming i put the rear up pretty far , wouldnt that take the impact of the front lifting and kind of limit it more due to it being higher ? if i make the rear equal with front i would think it would tend to lift the front and push the rear down? or am i wrong?

Quick Reply: any benifit to raising rear suspension up and keepin front low for drag?