Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Acura Integra
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
korndog
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them

as the title says wat is the best way to remove the bolts without snapping them.
I have heard all kind of different methods from letting the car run for a little while to the bolts are hot. Some say wait untill the car is cold. Some say soak the bolts everyday for a week strait with wd40

Whats the best way what has worked for everyone else successfully?

Thanks
korndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
gsr dood
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to gsr dood
Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (korndog)

I only take em out when that car is warm. This is because the aluminum is a little less stressed around the bolt when its warm. Spray some wd40 the night before.....run it hot and just loosen the bolt....never had a problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminS85
i think you would bash 4 gigantic holes in your head if you got forged B20 rods and pistons and put them in a B16... the B16 is a short block, B20 and B18 and B17 are long blocks
gsr dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
denraweb
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (gsr dood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr dood
I only take em out when that car is warm. This is because the aluminum is a little less stressed around the bolt when its warm. Spray some wd40 the night before.....run it hot and just loosen the bolt....never had a problem with that.
I agree with this to a certain extent...problem with the bolts/nuts being warm when removing is that if the bolts are even a little over tightened, the bolt will easily snap completely off and basically when that happens, you're effed...even if only one bolt snaps, you still will have a major exhaust leak. So be careful...
denraweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
gsr dood
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to gsr dood
Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (denraweb)

its not as bad as many ppl think.... if the bolt breaks just get a right angle drill and drill a hole in the bolt and get an extractor.... easier said than done.... but it still not gunna ruin ur life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminS85
i think you would bash 4 gigantic holes in your head if you got forged B20 rods and pistons and put them in a B16... the B16 is a short block, B20 and B18 and B17 are long blocks
gsr dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
all-mtr-teg
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (gsr dood)

I use PB Blaster Click the image to open in full size.
AnthraxVX, Alchemist, SiREK4, airbag, redgsrguy, bambam, mtber, dfoxengr, kteller8, Mad Money, kelviiv, .xcalibur. , 98Luder, BandOi, B19Coupe, numberone, ferio_boy, r'truckin, project_dc2 http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2739839
all-mtr-teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Jabinya
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (all-mtr-teg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
I use PB Blaster Click the image to open in full size.
X2

WD40 has nothing on PB Blaster
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
63HMOOB
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (korndog)

the best way is to wait for the engine to cool down so you don't strip bolts. just use a socket and a long ratchet or a pole around it for leverage. some bolts you might need a wrench to get to. make sure you spray some kind of rust penetrate. Click the image to open in full size. GL

EK20 IN THE PROCESS
63HMOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
blueDA9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to blueDA9
Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (63HMOOB)

I actually never had any problem with mine...
FG Squad #6

http://www.myspace.com/supraman9000 check it out, add me SON lol
blueDA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
kuja
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to kuja
Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (blueDA9)

i broke my lower left stud before, it was great. extractors usually suck *****, but by some miracle and almost royally f'ing the hole, i got it out with one of the craftsman extractors. Anyway, with my ramhorn, i'm able to use an offset wrench on mine.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Ciddogg
Garage is empty, add now

just be gentle and you should have no problem and if it dose break weld a smaller bolt to it and then take it out that way. just another idea for you
Ciddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
98GSRDC2
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to 98GSRDC2
Default Re: (Ciddogg)

i never had a problem with mine. just used wd40 the day before and let the car warm just to be safe
98GSRDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
mach0
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: what is the best way to remove header bolts without breaking them (Jabinya)

X3
GY16P DC4 DD
mach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
jr408
Garage is empty, add now

ummmm...do it softly
jr408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
korndog
Garage is empty, add now

well surprisingly i managed to find pb blaster on this island. so i will soak the bolts warm the car and give it a try
korndog is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
96, b16, bolts, breaking, broken, car, cherokee, easiest, easy, gaskt, grand, header, headers, honda, laredo, oil, pan, remove, removing, studs, tool