Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tail lights......

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail lights......

Like the title says, I am lookin for some options for my tail lights. I drive a 97 2dr coupe. I was going to get the red/whith Hondas, but after my buddy at work heard me talkin bout them, he shows up a week later with them installed on his car. WEAK!!!!
So I have been looking for options that will enhance, without looking cheesy/ricey. I am not a fan of the clears with chrome, too flea market looking for me, I want something with a blacked out inside and nice/simple layout with the lights themselves.

My car is black, and I did the blackout mod to the headlights, which looks awesome and doesnt leak. So I am tryin to stay with that theme, stock but lightly modded look. (if that even makes sense!?!lol)

Pics of what others have done would be great or at least a link to a site that has some ideas.

Thanks

BTW search for this topic is very limited. And this was posted in the lighting section, but it has low traffic, besides, this is where the people who have tha same car as me are....

Old 12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Tail lights...... (JustG)

si tail lights FTW..... or just leave it stock.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... tint your tail lights to match your headlights. i blacked out my tail lights using VHT nightshades, and i think it looks decent. its different, and easy/ cheap to do... and its still OEM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you ask me, I'd say that any set of tail lights that aren't OEM are ricey.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hardedge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hardedge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you ask me, I'd say that any set of tail lights that aren't OEM are ricey. </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2. just keep what u have or go with the si red a clear. most of the tinting covers like mentioned above are illegal.... and you dont want another reason for a cop to be looking at your honda
Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats kinda my thoughts too but I thought there must be something out there that is not OEM and looks good.

Thanks for the input, any more???
Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JustG)

STAY OEM
Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but you still have your stock 96-98 oem tails right???

stick do that or get the 99-00 tailights
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
3lo

vht makes two tints black and red,
try all red, shoud look nice.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats kinda my thoughts too but I thought there must be something out there that is not OEM and looks good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With all of the aftermarket Civic parts out there I'd have thought that too, but I have never seen any that look even remotely good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3lo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vht makes two tints black and red,
try all red, shoud look nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they shouldn't.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hardedge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With all of the aftermarket Civic parts out there I'd have thought that too, but I have never seen any that look even remotely good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is pretty much the reason why I posted. Thought some1 was witholding a secret along the way...LOL Why is it that aftermarket stuff looks soooo cheap??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtfc3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you still have your stock 96-98 oem tails right???

stick do that or get the 99-00 tailights </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats the difference between the 2? Cant picture the 99s right now?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the 99's are red on top clear/white on bottom..... like what the si's come with.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the '99-'00 lights.

I think the '96-'98s had like a orange bit or something in there for the hazards.

EDIT: Haha, I guess I could've just referred him to my avatar. Oh well, at least he's got a better picture now.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those were the ones I wanted but that bonehead at work got them as soon as he heard me bigging them up. What kills me, he couldnt even put them in himself!! I love those lights.

Well, my minds made up. I'd rather have the same as him than a cheap, flea market looking set!

Thanks for all the input guys! CHEERS!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem! And remember, lots of people have these lights so it's not like you were doing anything unique anyway. Plus you'll always know that you had the idea before him.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Here's my all red tails done with 3M red vinyl

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like the title says, I am lookin for some options for my tail lights. I drive a 97 2dr coupe. I was going to get the red/whith Hondas, but after my buddy at work heard me talkin bout them, he shows up a week later with them installed on his car. WEAK!!!!
So I have been looking for options that will enhance, without looking cheesy/ricey. I am not a fan of the clears with chrome, too flea market looking for me, I want something with a blacked out inside and nice/simple layout with the lights themselves.

My car is black, and I did the blackout mod to the headlights, which looks awesome and doesnt leak. So I am tryin to stay with that theme, stock but lightly modded look. (if that even makes sense!?!lol)

Pics of what others have done would be great or at least a link to a site that has some ideas.

Thanks

BTW search for this topic is very limited. And this was posted in the lighting section, but it has low traffic, besides, this is where the people who have tha same car as me are....

</TD></TR></TABLE>
He put OEM USDM taillights on his car when he knew you were going to do it too? How dare he! Those are so rare and I never see them (except for every '99-'00 coupe in the US, plus some '96-'98 coupes too).
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">si tail lights FTW..... or just leave it stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>
They're actually on all '99-'00 coupes. The Si is not special like that.

1996-1998 Coupe Tail Lights

1999-2000 Coupe Tail Lights
Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tail lights...... (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He put OEM USDM taillights on his car when he knew you were going to do it too? How dare he! Those are so rare and I never see them (except for every '99-'00 coupe in the US, plus some '96-'98 coupes too).

They're actually on all '99-'00 coupes. The Si is not special like that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now, now...no need for sarcasim!! I KNOW that this is not something "original", my point was that this guy knows nothin about anything, he only got them cause I said I was gonna get them. He is just that type of guy. I really dont care, its not that big of a deal. My question originally was what other options are availabe besides these cheap *** lookin things pasted allll over the net.

Thanks for the pics just the same!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, now...no need for sarcasim!! I KNOW that this is not something "original", my point was that this guy knows nothin about anything, he only got them cause I said I was gonna get them. He is just that type of guy. I really dont care, its not that big of a deal. My question originally was what other options are availabe besides these cheap *** lookin things pasted allll over the net.

Thanks for the pics just the same! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well then, good for him. Clean your car up and continue modifying it until you're happy. Then you'll have a nice looking modified car and his POS won't even be comparable even if it has the same common taillights.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> STAY OEM </TD></TR></TABLE>
otherwise it wont be jdm and youll get flammed
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (patrickd_21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrickd_21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">otherwise it wont be jdm and youll get flammed</TD></TR></TABLE>
OEM isn't JDM.

Some JDM parts are OEM.

Some OEM parts are JDM.

But not all JDM parts are OEM or visa versa.

The taillights I posted above are not JDM. They are OEM. They are USDM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just stick with the stock they are the best by far. I dont even like the 50/50's as much
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Darth ModerVader

I actually prefer the pre-'99 OEM lights with the amber signals. To each, his own, I suppose.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Tail lights...... (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually prefer the pre-'99 OEM lights with the amber signals. To each, his own, I suppose. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Me too. I'm trying to find another set, but everyone wants to try to make a buck off of it. I mean, they're not exactly sought after parts. So when people see me making WTB threads for them, they try to get too much for them and so far all sets are missing harnesses (all or just two). Harnesses aren't cheap and I need the outer harnesses since the turn signals are different. I know some people keep telling me it doesn't matter and to use the '99-'00 harnesses, but it matters to me and it's going to be on my car, not theirs.

I think I've found a set I'll be picking up asap though. We just need to agree on a price.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Tail lights...... (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Me too. I'm trying to find another set, but everyone wants to try to make a buck off of it. I mean, they're not exactly sought after parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed, when I had my '00 ITR, I arranged a trade with a fellow who had the '94-'97 lights. I probably could have asked for a bit of money along with my lights, since everyone seems to love the red/clear combination, but I just settled on an even swap. It's not easy to find an early set of lights in excellent condition, and I tend to be picky about that sort of thing.

I'm not surprised that the harnesses are not often included, but if all else fails, you can always pick up the different bulb holders separately and splice them into your existing wiring.

Quick Reply: Tail lights......