Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can

So after seeing the inside of my IM ( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2114678 ) i decided that I had to do something about the oil in there......in translation all the power i was losing. Not to mention while spraying, oil can be a cause of detonation, NOT GOOD! so i decided to fab. up a catch can with a Air Compressor Air/water separator. it actually filters down to 3 microns .

parts needed
Air/ Water separator- i found mine at Lowes. it has a 1/4" inlet and exit.
1- 1/4 " male/Male threaded piece (i threw away the bags aka part numbers)
3- 1/4" Male > Barb
1- 1/4 all female T
~5 feet of hose (make sure it can hold up to the pressure) I used Transmission line hose
6- 2nd smallest Hose clamps

Its pretty easy to set up:

1. attach your Male/Male adapter to the INLET side of the Filter. as well as your T and the 1/4" to barb on the EXIT side.

2. Run 2 lines from your PCV valve, and the other crankcase vent by the intake.....to the INLET side of the filter (where you have 2 inlets)

3. Run your EXIT side to the old PCV inlet on the IM.

4. your going to have to adjust your idle because more air is being pulled from your crankcase....so just adjust that with your IACV.

Pretty easy. i will edit with pics....

Modified by 95greenlude at 10:01 PM 10/17/2007
Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (95greenlude)

nice waiting for pics lol im doing my catch can later this week prolly
Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (M2B4)

cant u bypass the hose from intake to PCV by just capping it off? (mine were capped off, but i uncapped it for emissions)
Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (dagle)

^then you have no way for the crankcase to vent...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm all that reading i did on catch cans and didnt find anyone doing the 1st vent by intake what made u decide to do that as well?

edit: are you just leaving the port on intake pipe uncapped? and like the zipties
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (M2B4)

^it really serves no purpose......the tube that goes from the valve cover to the intake just is a place to vent more gases from the head....theres no vacuum on it so it relies on the push of air from the VC. so i figured that why not use it for another ventilation.

no i'll find a cap or screw to put on it.....and zipties are the only way i could think of to mount it....

oh and p.s. the clear hose is only temporary.......i need to go get some more of the black stuff the clear hose is not strong enough to stay round with the vacuum
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any advantage on doing this to a stock/lightly modded car or is it unnecessary.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viper_boy403)

oh oops not cap, filter vent thingy.. lol.. it looks like a mini filter my bad..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dagle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viper_boy403 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there any advantage on doing this to a stock/lightly modded car or is it unnecessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my car is lightly modified.....it keeps unwanted oil out of the intake....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh oops not cap, filter vent thingy.. lol.. it looks like a mini filter my bad..</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats fine, i chose to use a vacuum source to be able to draw out more crankcase air...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: (95greenlude)

isn't that thing going to fill up after like 10 mins of driving?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DCxMagus)

i dunno......we shall find out....

if it does, i'll find a hose to attach to the bottom and run it back to the VC....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats pretty neat, lemme know how it works out
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehhh...there is no longer an inlet for air to get into the crankcase. That's what that spot with the clear hose should be.

The diagram of how the PCV system works shows that filtered air comes into the crankcase from the nipple on the passenger side and the pressure is relieved from the PCV valve...I would just put a filter on the intake nipple or route a hose back the the nipple on the intake tube. My opinion
Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (Hawkze_2.3)

^i started my car and air was escaping the inlet.....and there was no air exiting out of the intake.....
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ehhh...there is no longer an inlet for air to get into the crankcase. That's what that spot with the clear hose should be.

The diagram of how the PCV system works shows that filtered air comes into the crankcase from the nipple on the passenger side and the pressure is relieved from the PCV valve...I would just put a filter on the intake nipple or route a hose back the the nipple on the intake tube. My opinion </TD></TR></TABLE>

The tube that used to go to the intake was to draw in air, and the pcv valve is specifically to draw it out, that is why there is a valve there and not just a hole, I like the setup, I'd just get rid of the first tube and put it back on the intake pipe.

If your pcv system is working correctly you shouldn't get any air out of the vc vent thing on the left.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (mgags7)

yeah hook the intake back up the way it was and just run it like this:

PCV ==&gt; Oil catch can ==&gt; IM

right now you have no way to get any "positive" in your "crankshaft ventilation"

I still don't think that type of filters going to do the job you think it gonna do though.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (DCxMagus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCxMagus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah hook the intake back up the way it was and just run it like this:

PCV ==&gt; Oil catch can ==&gt; IM
</TD></TR></TABLE>

He knows that dude, he's not a dumbass.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCxMagus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
right now you have no way to get any "positive" in your "crankshaft ventilation"

I still don't think that type of filters going to do the job you think it gonna do though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, yes he does have positive ventilation, air from blowby is normally enough to fill the crankcase, but the vent to the intake tube is to prevent from having vacuum in the crankcase, which would not be a good thing.

That filter will do just fine, I used to have one of those things on my car, they just fill up quick, its surprising how much oil passes thru. You'll find yourself replacing that filter element often.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can (mgags7)

^actually i'm not preventing any vacuum at all......isnt the PCV inlet on the IM enough vacuum??

i actually origionally had it set up to just filter the pcv valve....

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

kinda the same idea as 117's setup, just w/o 4 vents on the VC....you can see his is capped off

Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think you would recommend this on a boosted setup would you?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ralpheezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ralpheezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't think you would recommend this on a boosted setup would you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

Jared, there should be a constant flow of air out, just no pressure within. That's why it needs a feed to open air, which is what the VC vent does.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM

I too would be wary with that setup. You can even look in the helms and it will show you a diagram where air come IN to the valve cover via the tube from the intake, then goes down into the crankcase and eventually out through the pcv. It's supposed to be in that direction. You are preventing any air coming in to balance it. At times you will feel some air coming out through the line to the intake (e.g., at idle) but when you are driving that changes.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95greenlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda the same idea as 117's setup, just w/o 4 vents on the VC....you can see his is capped off
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but he most likely has a filter on the VC inlet.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a PCV system on my car. It's a straight breather. 4 -12AN lines, they can be inlets or outlets, it all depends on how the air is flowing.

I have found that you can make the PCV system too efficient. I had mine with so little restriction that it was sucking in so much air through the inlet (the fitting that has a hose that goes to the intake pipe), that the engine would idle at 1,200 RPMs no matter what I did, except capping off the inlet.

I think the main problem is that the stock PCV valve is so restrictive that it cannot flow enough air to vent the crank case pressure, thus the inlet becomes an outlet. I didn't have this problem because I had a -8 one way valve acting as my PCV valve. The difference in flow was amazing. Put it this way, blow through the PCV valve and you feel like you're blowing through a staw. Blow through my old PCV system, and if felt like you were blowing through a 2 ft. long piece of garden hose (i.e. no restriction). Once we figured out that was the cause of the high idle, and that oil was still getting into the IM, I decided to ditch the PCV system all together. Now I just have a breather.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, but he most likely has a filter on the VC inlet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The hole for the inlet fitting and the hole for the PCV valve grommet in the stock IM were both plugged and welded. I can post pictures for those interested as I'm picking my car up tonight.

Again, just to emphasize, I do not have a PCV system. There is nothing that connects the IM to the valve cover.

Quick Reply: How To: DIY PCV valve Breather/filter/Catch Can