Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
InsaneBoost
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX?

We're changing the oil and filter, how many quarts of oil does it hold?

97 cid engine
InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
95ProjectEJ1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (5)
y3111ow
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (R34-Skyline)

My D16z6 is 4.2, so just pick up 5qts and measure out the .2 or so.
95ProjectEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Ser1N
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Ser1N
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (95ProjectEJ1)

oh wow i didnt no a D can hold that much =[]

my d16y7 only holds 3 and a half till it hits the full marker.

1994 EG
Ser1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Padawan
Darth ModerVader
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (Ser1N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1N
my d16y7 only holds 3 and a half till it hits the full marker.
You raise a good point that's worth reinforcing. When changing the oil, you should not simply add the manufacturer's stated capacity and then close it up. Rather, you should add somewhat less than that stated capacity, and then continue to add small amounts while checking the dip stick to ensure that you are at the proper level and not overfilled.

-NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT-
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Blazin Si
Honda-Tech Member
1997 Acura CL
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to Blazin Si
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (95ProjectEJ1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ProjectEJ1
My D16z6 is 4.2, so just pick up 5qts and measure out the .2 or so.
Are you sure it's that much? It's been years since I had a D series, but I remember only needing a little over 3.5 quarts.
Blazin Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
EL Vap133
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to EL Vap133
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (Padawan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan

You raise a good point that's worth reinforcing. When changing the oil, you should not simply add the manufacturer's stated capacity and then close it up. Rather, you should add somewhat less than that stated capacity, and then continue to add small amounts while checking the dip stick to ensure that you are at the proper level and not overfilled.
That is exactly what I do! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Syndacate
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Syndacate
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (Padawan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan

Yes, and make sure you wait 3 minutes after you stop pouring to ensure that all the oil drained to the bottom of the pan and that you're getting an accurate reading.

Do that, and a 7 minute oil change just became a 20 minute project.

Click the image to open in full size..

Empty all your oil, iono why he told you 4.2, 4.2 is for a COMPLETE ENGINE OVERHAUL, not an oil change, helms calls for 3.5 quarts for a Z6 on an oil change with the filter. I'm pretty sure it's the same for a B7 because they would have it listed as for the Z6 in the helms manual, but there's no engine particular here.

Real simple project, I have no idea why everybody insists on making this a 2 hour drawn out project.

You drain your oil, when it's almost all drained you get to work on the filter - unscrew that, remove that.

When it's all out, put the plug back in, put the new filter on. I spread some (a thin layer of) new oil on the gasket around the outside of the filter..you don't need to, some people do, some people don't, doesn't really make a difference.

Go upstairs, put 3.5 qts of oil in it, that's 3 quarts, plus half of another.

Wait a few minutes (like the time it takes you to put your tools away), and then check your dipstick.

It'll be right where it's supposed to be.

EDIT:
If you really wanna be safe and make sure you don't wanna overfill, put 2.25 (that's a quarter of a quart) in there and it should read 3/4 full on the dipstick (the dot to dot is full or -1 quart, not full to empty).

Though in honesty it doesn't matter, I've seen plenty of pple dump 4 or 5 quarts in there w/ no damage due to foaming. 3.5 should have yet set.
Syndacate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
InsaneBoost
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks a lot everyone. Grandmother just gave us the car about a month ago or so, however it needed the oil changed soon so we decided to do it, only problem was she misplaced the owners manuel so we had no clue what to put in it. Searched google and it only wanted to talk about oil filters, appreciate it everyone.
InsaneBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Padawan
Darth ModerVader
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX? (Syndacate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndacate

Yes, and make sure you wait 3 minutes after you stop pouring to ensure that all the oil drained to the bottom of the pan and that you're getting an accurate reading.

Do that, and a 7 minute oil change just became a 20 minute project.

Click the image to open in full size..
Who said anything about waiting 3 minutes? 5W-30 will get to the pan very quickly, and a few extra minutes to perform an oil change isn't the end of the world. I've lost count of how many times a car has come back from an oil change shop (or dealer) overfilled because the tech apparently couldn't spare a bit of time to do it properly or just added the manual's specified amount. Will it foam or otherwise damage the engine or cat if overfilled by a small degree? Most likely not, but the oil level on the dipstick was chosen for a reason. It comes down to the fact that if you're doing the oil change yourself, why not do it the best way you can? The same people trying to save a few minutes of time during the oil change are often likely the ones who are also filling with $5 per quart synthetic and running a Mobil 1 filter.

-NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT-
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
95ProjectEJ1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (5)
y3111ow
Default Re: Honda Oil Change in 1996 Civic LX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin Si

Are you sure it's that much? It's been years since I had a D series, but I remember only needing a little over 3.5 quarts.
Sorry if I have misinformed anyone, but I am simply going off what I have inside my helms manual and have poured in myself.
95ProjectEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 96, capacity, change, civic, el, engine, honda, ls, lx, oil, quarts