Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway

This has happened two times now.

CAR is a 94 Honda Accord LX Wagon.

I'm driving on the highway for 5-10 minutes everything is fine, then all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the car has absolutely no power. Lights are fine, and the radio is fine. I coast to the breakdown lain. Then turn off the car for a minute. Then turn it back on and start it back up and go. Engine light is now off!

Took it to Honda dealer in Westborough MA. Dealership mechanic comes back and tells me that the error code stored shows:

CODE 15: Problem in Ignition Output Signal

Says it most likely needs a new ICM (Ignition Control Module). Suggest I reproduce the problem and have the car towed back to service. (ARE THESE GUYS NUTS. YEAH, LIKE I WANT TO GO OUT AND DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY AND WAIT FOR MY CAR TO STALL, AND RISK CAUSING AN ACCIDENT! THEN HAVE IT TOWED 10-20 miles back to the dealer... WOW!)

HE suggested changing the Ignition Control Module but can't guarantee it will fix the problem. I was quoted $230 for the ICM, and $230 dollars for labor.

QUESTIONS:
1. Has anyone reading this had this happen before?
2. Any idea on what the real problem might be?
3. Where is the best place to buy a quality ICM.
4. How hard is it to replace the ICM. I'm willing to buy a $20 Chilton's manual and attempt to replace it myself, unless it's very difficult.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (dgvandal)

do you have a tach? and did it bounce around or was it erratic before the car died?

Alot of times distributor problems can be caused by loose wires inside the distributor. if you want get some dielectric grease, open the distributor put some grease on the terminals and crimp down the female plugs onto the terminals. the icm I believe you can pick up on slhondaparts.com for like 170. and you can do this your self (labor= free).

Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (kulrevon)

No. In both cases I didn't hit anything on the highway, nor did I go across a pothole. The ride is otherwise smooth. I don't own a tachometer. If the timing was way off than the engine would be running rough all the time.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (dgvandal)

This is a great thread so far

Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (hondadude)

Sounds to me like the Ignitor is going out.
But like Kulveropn said, you might want to check the wires in the dizzy.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (JDM_CD7)

the ignitor is in the dI was asking if you had a tachometer and if the tachometer was bouncing or being erratic before it died. since you don't have a tachometer you wouldn't know.

I said nothing about your timming being off.

Do as I said. and see if that fixes it.

If it doesn't you might have to replace the ignitor.

Do you feel comfortable enough to open the distributor?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (hondadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a great thread so far

</TD></TR></TABLE>
And it's still not fixed, so I vote for the coil or ignitor.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you changed your spark plugs lately? One time i had put slightly too much thread grease on the spark plugs and it actually melted down the thread and onto the end of the spark plug preventing it from firing. Possibly you have a bad O ring that is getting oil into the spark plug cylinder? Id at least CHECK your spark plugs for any obvious signs.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Re: 94 Honda Accord Wagon Check Engine Light comes on then car dies on Highway (kulrevon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kulrevon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ignitor is in the dI was asking if you had a tachometer and if the tachometer was bouncing or being erratic before it died. since you don't have a tachometer you wouldn't know.

I said nothing about your timming being off.

Do as I said. and see if that fixes it.

If it doesn't you might have to replace the ignitor.

Do you feel comfortable enough to open the distributor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh... I thought you were asking if I had an External tachometer used to time the engine... Sorry. Yes The Acoord LX has a tach on the dashboard and I do not remember seeing it act eraticly. But I wasn't looking at it so I really don't know.

I'll try your suggestion...

About the ignitor: How much is that part and is that easy to replace?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

on the left of the page click on the Ignition links