Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Problem with LEGEND CALIPER retrofit....spongey pedal still

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with LEGEND BRAKES CALIPER retrofit....spongey pedal still

So I successfully intsalled the Legend dual piston calipers into my car. After bleeding the system several times and getting to a point where the pedal is solid, I start the car and the pedal immediately goes soft.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Should the car have to be on during the brake bleeding?

The car is a 98 GSR with SS brake lines and 11.1 inch legend rotors and calipers. I completely rebuilt the calipers with new seals and pistons. NO brake fluid appears to be leaking out of any where.

Modified by GOOCH-JDM-ITR at 12:26 PM 12/31/2005
Old 12-29-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Problem with LEGEND BRAKES CALIPER retrofit....spongey pedal still (GOOCH-JDM-ITR)

you hve to bleed all the calipers! u def have air in ur lines or one of the nipples isnt tight enough.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 PM

after you get this all worked out lemme know how much better this works... Also, does anyone know if you can put your front brake's in the back for even more braking power?
i just spent like 200 bucks getting a nice set of rotors and brake pads for the front but I still would like more braking power.
Thanks.. I didnt mean to thread jack or anything.

oh, and where did you get the rotors redrilled to a 4X100 lug pattern?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with LEGEND BRAKES CALIPER retrofit....spongey pedal still (gsr dood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr dood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you hve to bleed all the calipers! u def have air in ur lines or one of the nipples isnt tight enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>
SO each caliper is not run on a seperate line? I thought that might isolate the air bubble to just the front.

Any idea why the pedal goes to the floor after starting the engine?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numbnuts22715 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after you get this all worked out lemme know how much better this works... Also, does anyone know if you can put your front brake's in the back for even more braking power?
i just spent like 200 bucks getting a nice set of rotors and brake pads for the front but I still would like more braking power.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can tell you right now if I was to do this all over I would spend the extra $300 or so on them mugens (bling factor) I chose to strip all the factory paint to bare metal and then have them machined and then put in all OEM parts and that **** got expensive and the rebuild has consumed most of my vaction time.

The rotors I bought pre-drilled from FAST Brakes (www.fastbrakes.com) which are the thicker sized rotors and are gauranteed for life not to warp. You can also get a kit from them to mount NSX calipers to your rear with larger rotors. But I dont think it would be possible to put the fronts on the rear.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 PM

theres nothing wrong, the pedal is suppose to go to the floor when you turn on the engine. if the engines off and you keep pressing the brake eventually it will be really stiff almost lock up. i dont really know why but thats how it is.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (grandmasterflash)

You need to have the car running when bleeding because of the abs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr dood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to bleed all the calipers!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some motivation for yah

Old 12-30-2005, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (morepoop4u)

Once you bleed everything and the car is running, if the pedal still sinks check out the master cyclinder, it could be going bad and causing your problems.

And does the pedal just sink under constant preasure, or is it just really spongey??? If it sinks I would say the MC, if it is soft and spongey then you have air. Either way bleed all 4 corners and get back to us.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (Racermech)

with the legend calipers make sure the bleeders are on the correct side. the right caliper goes on the left and left caliper goes on the right. reason you have to do this is becuase on the legend the caliper are behind the rotors instead forward on your integra.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numbnuts22715 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after you get this all worked out lemme know how much better this works... Also, does anyone know if you can put your front brake's in the back for even more braking power?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i ran 96 nsx calipers front and rear.

more motivation for you

1996 nsx calipers in the front.

1996 nsx calipers in the rear.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imola-red dc2)

okay Im motivated. How hard was the NSX rear retrofit (compared to the front).

Im sure I will go that route next, but does anyone know if there is a caliper of the same size w/o the NSX markings?

-still bleeding
Old 12-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GOOCH-JDM-ITR)

by the way Im at the point where I dont see anymore air coming out of the bleeder screw (clear hose attached). Do I just keep going and assume there is air in the lines?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 AM

the retrofit for the rear was straight forward and really easy. do you have the calipers on right?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM

just paint it all one color you wont be able to tell unless you get really really close.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imola-red dc2)

yes the right caliper is on the left side and vice versa. Bleeder screw is in the up position.
pedal still takes about 3 pumps to feel solid. This time a little bit of air came out.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the rear upgrade use 02-03 ep3 calipers and rotors direct bolt on
Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gotboostedvr6)

how much bigger are we talking for this EP3 conversion?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:53 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

You might try uprgrading to an ITR master cylinder. I'm assuming you're using your stock one on bigger brakes.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kNOwLedGeDA9)

gsr and itr use 1" 94-01
fixed !

Modified by gotboostedvr6 at 12:02 PM 1/6/2006
Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GOOCH-JDM-ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much bigger are we talking for this EP3 conversion?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 PM

EP3 brake conversion gives you the same rear brakes as a ITR.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gotboostedvr6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gsr ls and itr use 1" 94-01</TD></TR></TABLE>

AH. I didn't read that his car was a '98. My bad.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kNOwLedGeDA9)

okay so I have spent all day and some of yesterday bleeding the system. Im pretty damn sure all the air is out of the lines. While the car is off the pedal builds pressure rather fast. Once the engine is started the pedal will go all the way to the floor and then take about 3 pumps to build decent pressure. BUt it feels like it will keep going if I push extra hard. Is it possible my master cylinder has just suddenly pooped out? Damn IT!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so does anyone know what the signs of a bad master cylinder are?

Is it possible that since I upgraded to larger calipers the MC needs to much more fluid and thus cant build enough pressure? Where can I get a better/bigger then OEM MC. ITs a 1998 GSR with a 1" NISSIN MC&gt; thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you bleeding the brakes while the car is running?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (morepoop4u)

I have bled the brakes several times with the car off. THen a couple times with the car in the Accesory position. And also with the car ON several times. Probably over 20 full cycles around the car thus far. When I drive around the block the brakes require several pumps to work (if you could call it that) asit barely stops the car at all.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clarification of some things:

94-01 Integras do NOT all share master cylinders. In 1998, the bolt pattern of the MC went to that similar to the 96-00 Civic.

Also, on a normal, running civic/teg...when the car is off, the pedal can be pushed to a certain depth. Then after the next few times, get firmer and firmer. Then when you start the car, the engine runs, vacuum from the brake booster kicks in, and the pedal goes down. Engine running doesnt affect bleeding, rather the engine has to be on to offer the power assist.

Legend calipers:

Regardless of all brakes, the bleeder must be pointing up (lateralwise, the bleeder must be above the piston and banjo bolt attachment. With multi-piston calipers, you'll want to use left on left and right on right. rotate the piston till the bleeder is pointing up before bleeding. I have legend calipers on my civic, but they are single piston, so swapping left to right didnt affect braking, just got the bleeder pointing up.

Quick Reply: Problem with LEGEND CALIPER retrofit....spongey pedal still