Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
butand50
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to butand50
Default 92 Accord Lx- oil on spark plug

Whats up everyone? I just got a 1992 Accord Lx, and as i was going over the car i pulled out the spark plugs and one is covered in oil. What would be causing this? I apreciate any help thanks. Click the image to open in full size.
butand50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
Charri
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Charri
Default Re: 92 Accord Lx- oil on spark plug (butand50)

Bad spark plug tube seal. You can be a replacement at autozone/kragen etc. Replace the valve cover gasket while youre at it also.

Neuspeed Sports
Tanabe F Sways 30.4
Russell SS lines
Ebay Strut Bars F&R
Charri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
BLKFLSH
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/sh...+tube

This thread expains everything you probably need to change. Read it, then if you have further questions post again. Just replaceing the ones under the valve cover may not be enough. O-rings under rocker arm assy may be the problem. They were on my 92.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
deserthonda
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

what blkflsh says ,,might be the ultimate solution but before u go through all that work , just replace the seal in the valve cover,, remove the valve cover , replace those 4 selas, install a new v.c.gasket, clean all the oil from the plug holes, put all together and try it for a while ,,,,,it might fix it..........if not than do as he suggested replace the lower seals on rocker arms ..
deserthonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
butand50
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to butand50

Thanks for all your help so far. Also i noticed my car tends to sputter/hesitate at low rpms. I put the new valve cover gasket on, spark plug seals, spark plugs, and changed the oil but the hesitation/sputtering is still happening. I could only replace 3 spark plugs because the one is stripped i will get that out when i have more time. I also wanted to put a new fuel filter on the car but for some f'ed up reason every store was out and i go back to school on sunday, think new fuel filter would fix?
butand50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
BLKFLSH
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

If your going to keep running it like that you will have to find a way to get the oil out of the tubes. when it gets high enough it will short the plugs and make the engine run really bad. solution #1 blow compressed air into the tube so the oil will fly out (hold a rag over the top of it to catch the oil when it comes flying out). solution #2 I don't have an air compressor so I taped a small vacume hose to the end of a shop-vac and sucked the oil out. It's a good idea to do this before you take the plugs out too because if you don't the oil is going into the combustion chamber. The engine will burn the oil, but I would suck out what I could anyway. Hope this helps.

submit to reddit

Tags
1992, 92, accord, cover, covered, gasket, hesitate, honda, number, oil, plug, plugs, sealant, spark, valve