Old 01-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Smells like Tuna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell

everybody knows the HF is the lightest model
the Si is the best model
and well the DX is .... a DX

but what makes the HF lighter and different than the DX and SI
say you had all three stripped, (no motor, no interrior, no nothing)
is the shell actually different or is it the components on an HF which make it lighter

Old 01-10-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (88JPRCRX)

Si has sunroof, so that makes it heavier...

HF has smaller brakes, smaller rims/tires...lighter bumper supports as well, plus no rear wiper and probably some other little things as well...
Old 01-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Smells like Tuna

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (crxgator)

my dx doesn't have rear wiper...

so it looks like the components is what makes an HF cheaper and lighter
Old 01-10-2004, 03:45 PM

It's definately components.

Si's are the heaviest because they have a lot off goodies a strippy HF or DX just does'nt have. Like A/C, nicer seats, sound deadening material, door mounted seatbelts, sunroof, etc, etc. Besides the obvious differences in powerplant weights...

All shells are created equal!
Old 01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (Hybridize)

hf's also have no impact beams in the doors
Old 01-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Smells like Tuna

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (neutron91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neutron91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hf's also have no impact beams in the doors</TD></TR></TABLE>

THATS what i was hopin somebody would get at
thats def. a difference

reason being is i have 2 DX's
when i build one, im doing everything and was wondering if it would be worth finding an HF or not
but if im swapping everything i can anyway it looks like DX, SI, HF, wont matter. i dont need a sunroof, dont want one, i dont need rear wiper, dont have one now, all i want is a fast street car
Old 01-10-2004, 04:39 PM

Yeh thats tru!!.. I was wondering all of that **** too... The dx has alot of sound dampening, which is a bitch to get out, how would you suggest taking it all out? Airplane paint remover does alright... but sticky haha..

Tru`
Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM

Dry ice
Old 01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sammex)

That HF front end will get you killed at 15mph, it has two small triangles that are the bumper (if that's what you wanna call it). I'm usually a fan of lightweight, but not at that cost, Id rather have a hacked up Si bumper than nothing up there. Also you get no rear sway mounts (or the threads in the chassis to hook it up to) a crappier steering rack. That bumper has to have a major affect on handling since there is nothing to tie the front end together.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11 PM

so CRX-RX, would you prefer to have a SI and to cut down on the weight by adding a cf or fiberglass sunroof plug?
Old 01-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sammex)

No I prefer the sunroof, and gladly take it's 30lb tradeoff. If you were hardcore about it you could remove the sunroof and fill it. If I was serious about a racecar and needed the weight reduction I would remove the roof to install the tightest cage possible and then reinstall a no sunroof roof. I'll never get there though, and am absurdly happy owning an Si and all of it's features (except A/C)

Also I have seen the results firsthand of an 89 Si getting rearended at a stoplight by an excursion going 30+ and pushed into an expedition with trailer hitch.
This is the reality of living in america, sure japan can use aluminium for the bumpers, but they will never meet a car 5,000lbs. either. Most people drive around these huge fat cars and never consider that. I don't want to die from a 15mph collision. If I kill myself driving 100+ and blow a corner or something, cool, I led myself to it, but if I got hit and died I'm sure I'd spend eternity angry about it. And for the money and time spent tracking down Si parts, it's much easier just to start out with it.

P.S. both my race car and daily driver are Si's, black 90 CRX/white 90 hatch
Old 01-10-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Re: (CRX-RX)

I'd rather start with an Si too, but DX/Std. hatchbacks are about $500-$1500 where as Si H/Bs seems to pull A LOT MORE.

Just think all the things you can loose to make the car lighter might BARELY equal the weight of ONE person...

That said, I took my working A/C out and I'm taking the rear wiper out b/c of looks and kinda for weight ( loosing weight is just kinda a good "side effect".
Old 01-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (Hybridize)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybridize &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's definately components.

Si's are the heaviest because they have a lot off goodies a strippy HF or DX just does'nt have. Like A/C, nicer seats, sound deadening material, door mounted seatbelts, sunroof, etc, etc. Besides the obvious differences in powerplant weights...

All shells are created equal! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually the ONLY real difference between the DX and the Si would be the sunroof on the 88/89's as for the 90/91's it would only be the sunroof and the rear discs on the Si. There is all the same sound deadening between the two, DX's can have A/C and a rear wiper (mine did/does) The seats are the same only a different material is used on the Si seats over the DX ones. Both the DX and Si have door mounted seatbelts (with the exception of 88) well and the other thing that would make the Si heavier than the DX's in all years would be the fact that they have the 14" rims and the DX's came with the 13" steelies BUT does anyone know what the 13" steely and the 14" alloy rims weigh?? Cause they may not be THAT far off from eachother.

But then again when your dealing with swaps and such the wheel weight, the motor weight, and some other things dont matter since they will be swapped out anyway. So if say someone had a 91 Si with a b16 swap with 15" Si wheels and put a fiberglass plug in place of the sunroof there is going to be pretty much NO difference between that and say a 91 DX with the same motor/wheels. INFACT the Si might even be lighter with the fiberglass plug. Only thing that would still make the difference would be the rear disc's which a lot of people swap the rear disc's onto the DX's and HF's anyway. Oh and one other thing that makes the HF's lighter is the fact that they have smaller hubs up front and well you ahve to swap to DX/Si hubs in order to run a B-series (unless you custom make axles) so that will add some weight as well. But they do also have less sound deadening and a smaller gas tank than the Si/DX's.

So basically the begining weight doesnt really mean much in any of the models once you start swapping out seats, motors, wheels, hoods, etc... Sure there will still be some differences but if you want to just worry about weight then get an HF otherwise the Si and DX are a horse a piece and your not going to notice a power difference between the 2 with the same motor of course.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well according to the helms the weight difference between the DX/Si and the Hf is only 200lbs., anyway. And a catch is they measure the Hf with a manual trans and the other 2 with an A/T.( yes, I know Si=NO A/T)
So, it sorta seems like a waste to me to make that big a deal over 200lbs.
If you're that **** about weight savings, just by motorcycle, or go on a diet. LOL
Or buy an Hf to start with, no-one wants them anyway, you should be able to find one cheap. Why destroy a perfectly good Si/DX to save a silly 100lbs.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (4crx4me)

http://hondaswap.com/reference...assis

go there for all your honda vehicle weight questions. the hf is the best model to own IMO IF YOUR WANTING A GOOD LIGHT CAR but if you want all the luxuries then the si would be for you. i had a 88 crx hf with a crx si D16A6 motor and ran a personal best of 14.9 at sac raceway with just bolt ons...its all about weight! my crx weighed around 1,819 lbs without me in it. thats why you always see crx si's with b16's run 15's all day...put that motor in a hf...should be mid 14's stock IF you know how to drive......don't believe me? better do a search! where is all the hf owners to back me up!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88JPRCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
reason being is i have 2 DX's
when i build one, im doing everything and was wondering if it would be worth finding an HF or not
all i want is a fast street car</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a 88 crx HF! people always want si's because of a crappy sunroof and power windows and doors...BLAH! if you want a fast street car...start with the lightest crx model and work your way up! IMO of course
Old 01-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (Project_ED8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_ED8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

get a 88 crx HF! people always want si's because of a crappy sunroof and power windows and doors...BLAH! if you want a fast street car...start with the lightest crx model and work your way up! IMO of course </TD></TR></TABLE>
Get an 88 Hf or if you want featherweight get an '85-86 CRX Si. If I remember correctly mine wieghed 1800-1900lbs.
AND NO CRX sold in the US/Canada CAME with power windows and/or door locks. (except , maybe that '91 Canadian Limited Edition. But they only made 250 numbered versions of those.)
http://www.quickhonda.net/wwwb...9.htm

Modified by 4crx4me at 10:39 AM 1/11/2004
Old 01-11-2004, 08:37 AM

oops sorry about posting the wrong info on the doors. i never even owned an si i just assumed they came with power everything. =/
Old 01-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell (Project_ED8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_ED8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is all the hf owners to back me up! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i love my 91 hf... yeah the weight thing isnt really that big of a deal once you start modding it like others have said but i like it just for the sole fact that most of the crx's on the road are si's... dont get me wrong i still love the si's... my first rex was an 89 si and i loved that car to death until some old man destroyed it... but it seems like everytime i come across a riced out rex, well its an si... its like "they" are catching up with us
Old 01-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: (Project_ED8)

Gen 1 crxs are felx flyers... they dont handle as well out of the box or without a full weld in cage cause the chassis flex like crazy. they are definately the lightest though... i think the motor compartment is smaller too. 88 Si's dont hve rear discs either so thats a swap you have to do to them as well.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea weight is still a key thing to me. you will most likely never see a crx si with a d16a6 with bolt ons run 14.9...which i ran in my hf with a d16a6 and just bolt ons. but yea if you start doing some hard cores building...i guess it wouldn't really matter...its all personal taste to me......

*edit* this is Project_ED8 btw....didn't know my friend logged in haha
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
PlastikOwl

Default Re: (kingkau)

I belive the side impact beams aren't in any of the 88-89 models....and were added in 90-91...I've opened my door panel on an 88si a few times and never saw one.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Si vs. Dx vs. HF differences in shell

Originally Posted by TruSlydHatch
Yeh thats tru!!.. I was wondering all of that **** too... The dx has alot of sound dampening, which is a bitch to get out, how would you suggest taking it all out? Airplane paint remover does alright... but sticky haha..

Tru`
Use dry ice TONS of dry ice then it just chips away!!