Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Fuel starvation solutions..???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel starvation solutions..???

I have a 95EG that is raced. It has a 10 gallon tank but will start to starve with 1/2 tank (or slightly less). Really not looking for a fuel cell (seen its problems at chump events). Want a poor mans solution. Not into the foam solution ( same reason). Short of the 12 gallon tank I can bolt up, any suggestions?

Trying to run some enduros. Lots of cars go 1:50-2:00 on a single tank. My k20 with bolt ons goes :50-1:00. Suggestions? Would love a baffle solution but not finding it on google search.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel starvation solutions..???

Probably a surge tank is going to be your best bet. Easy to build and can still leverage your OEM tank.

Radium engineering makes some nice surge tank setups, or you can build your own as well. Definitely helped our starvation issues.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Surge tank and/or cutting open and installing some type of baffle around the fuel pick up.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a fan of the surge tank, the one I see at chump just look like a Molotov cocktail to me. The concept of cutting open the tank and baffling the pick-up area of the fuel tank is what I too was thinking. It seams straight forward on paper but I have not encountered anybody that has done it for the fuel tank. I am certainly no welder/fabricator.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've race my 92 Civic SI with stock tank, stock pump/pickup and I can run it below 1/4 of a tank without fuel starving. You may have something else going on. However, my previous CRX, that was a different.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miamirice
I have a 95EG that is raced. It has a 10 gallon tank but will start to starve with 1/2 tank (or slightly less)...
.... Short of the 12 gallon tank I can bolt up, any suggestions?

Trying to run some enduros. Lots of cars go 1:50-2:00 on a single tank. My k20 with bolt ons goes :50-1:00. Suggestions? Would love a baffle solution but not finding it on google search.
Do you have an EG coupe or hatch?
I didn't think the 12 gallon tanks fit the hatchbacks. (problems with clearance near the back seats)

We did about and an hour and 15 - an hour and 20 minutes last year on our 10 gallon EG tank with a B16a in H2.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueTeg
Do you have an EG coupe or hatch?
I didn't think the 12 gallon tanks fit the hatchbacks. (problems with clearance near the back seats)

We did about and an hour and 15 - an hour and 20 minutes last year on our 10 gallon EG tank with a B16a in H2.
Hatch. Didn't realized the coupe had a larger tank.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GBRacing
Hatch. Didn't realized the coupe had a larger tank.
Pretty sure only the vx/cx were the only models with a 10 gal tank. The rest coupe/hatch/sedan came with a 12 gal.

I can run a gal or two in my 10 gal tank and I have never had any starvation issues.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understood the 12 gallon fits, please tell me if I am wrong. It's a hatch. The :50-1:10 is what I regularly see from the k20 crowd that run these homestead events. I even raise the VTEC some and try to use 6th gear on the banking. Not expecting to get the 2:00, but to add 25-30 minutes would be awesome. It is also track dependent, homestead has a double apex sweeper righty that gets many Hondas coughing and sputtering. I also had track dependent issues in my e36, Sebring 17 always a problem in e36.

I was hoping somebody had fabed one up with a cut and weld on a 12-gallon.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a fan of the surge tank, the one I see at chump just look like a Molotov cocktail to me. The concept of cutting open the tank and baffling the pick-up area of the fuel tank is what I too was thinking. It seams straight forward on paper but I have not encountered anybody that has done it for the fuel tank. I am certainly no welder/fabricator.

I guarantee you the Surge Tanks from Radium do not look like Molotov Cocktails. Mount the surge tank externally or build a proper bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the surge tank and you're good to go.

Many race cars run surge tanks, along with swirl pots for dry sump systems, external pumps etc ...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kungfuSiR

I guarantee you the Surge Tanks from Radium do not look like Molotov Cocktails. Mount the surge tank externally or build a proper bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the surge tank and you're good to go.

Many race cars run surge tanks, along with swirl pots for dry sump systems, external pumps etc ...
Yah the stuff you see at chump looks like it's set up for a crawl fish boil,
This is worth a look, is this something that can go in the engine bay? Anybody use this? Have any pics?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/replacement-fuel-tank-ef-3174001/#post49215306
Dorman tank?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...66&postcount=7
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah the stuff you see at chump looks like it's set up for a crawl fish boil,
This is worth a look, is this something that can go in the engine bay? Anybody use this? Have any pics?
I've seen people mount it in the engine bay:

We run this surge tank in our time attack car, however we are running the surge tank which utilizes external bosch 044 pumps which means it's not as easy to mount in the engine bay. We mounted ours in the spare tire location, with a bulk head between us and the surge tank.

Here's a picture of the surge tank before we put the bulk head in:

You can see we have a nozzle from our fire suppression system pointed right at the surge tank for added safety.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kungfuSiR

nice to see a nicely fabricated surge tank on the market.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Ev
Honda-Tech Member

Poor man's surge tank...

* Buy Ravioli
* Eat said Ravioli
* Remove label and clean empty can
* Drill holes in can
* Remove fuel gauge pick up assembly
* Attach Ravioli can so that the can surrounds fuel sock
* Route fuel return into Ravioli can
* Reinstall fuel pick assembly

The holes in the can will let fuel in and when fuel sloshes around, the fuel returning from the injection system will fill the can long enough to keep you going till you get straight again...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually had a discussion about fuel starvation with a friend of mine at the track a few weeks back.

On my end, when I am at 1/2 tank (or at least that's what the fuel gauge is telling me; seems like it stays on "F" forever), I have to start adapting my driving to avoid fuel starvation issues, which definitely impacts lap times. 1/2 tank if I park the car. Of course, the gauge is all over the place when on track.

My friend owns and ITR with a more aggressive suspension and tire setup than my Civic and says he can run the car without any issues when under the 1/4 tank mark. He also runs slightly better times than me at the same track, so it's not a matter of one driver pushing harder than the other.

This led me to wonder if there are differences in how the ITR fuel tank is built and if so, if that design could be fitted into a Civic tank.

Then again, it could be a number of things. Maybe my fuel gauge is off like mentioned earlier, maybe my steering inputs are not as smooth as his, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

I seem to remember the ITR literature saying there was actually less baffling in the tank as part of the weight reduction... They called it a wave absorber or something.