Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

h23a1 cant tell if its rod knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h23a1 cant tell if its rod knock

Just did valve adjustment, plugs, wires, spark plugs cap an rotor, timing belt water pump new hoses fuel pump and filter. I'd did not have this knock before I've searched everything on Google and know this engine is notorious for bad bottom ends. I'm thinking warn bearing not spun yet, throw out bearring, harmonic balance. It is not ticking in the valve train but in between light acceleration from 2000 to 3000 rpm I hear spaced apart knocking. Can really hear it in 1st . Second and third not too much maybe faint. Can really hear it when clutch is engaged coming back up rev a little while going into gear. Bought a magnet plug no shavings, reall is starting to upset me an I don't want to blow the motor. I know it needs a clutch but I don't think that's the cause of this. Every engine knock I've Hurd in my life has not sounded like this tried to take a video but you can't hear it in the cabin on the video. Also not while hood is open and revving it manually I'm in a world of confusion
Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: h23a1 cant tell if its rod knock

Are you saying it's doing it when the clutch pedal is pressed down or when the pedal is not pressed down. It's really important to narrow that down so you can rule out the tranny.

Not sure if you're saying it started doing it after you did the valves or not.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I'm shifting from 1 into 2 idle is dropping I let the clutch come up before engaging into 2 giving it a little gas to bring idel up and it makes a knock sound there that's the best time you can hear it. And knock started after adjustment of the valves
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

"The knock started after adjustment of the valves".

So....recheck the valve lash? It could also be clutch related. Or a heat shield rattle. If there arent shavings in the oil, it's probably not knocking.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It sounds clutch or flywheel related since it doesnt do it at idle and mostly when engaging the clutch. Clutch going bad or maybe warped flywheel. It could be clutch chatter.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
"The knock started after adjustment of the valves".

So....recheck the valve lash? It could also be clutch related. Or a heat shield rattle. If there arent shavings in the oil, it's probably not knocking.

yes it was doing it after. I'll check the adjustment after work today. I just remember when I took of the timing belt cover it was missing a few bots and was not on right an when I put it back on it was rubbing. On the harmonic balancer I'm praying it's just that rattaling around. would it be bad just removing it? And leaving off or is that bad for rocks and what not
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It sounds clutch or flywheel related since it doesnt do it at idle and mostly when engaging the clutch. Clutch going bad or maybe warped flywheel. It could be clutch chatter.

I'm praying it's the timing belt cover. I know it needs a clutch flywheel and throw out I just really was dreading pulling the tranny because I don't have a picker
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You dont need a cherry picker to pull the tranny. I use a $25 walmart jack.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

A cherry picker to pull the trans?

Use 2 jacks. One to hold the engine up, and the other to guide the trans down. I have done with only 1 jack. The trans isn't that heavy...maybe like 80ish pounds.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Jack with a wooden block in between to jack up the tranny to take pressure off the through bolt at the tranny mount. Remove the bolt, lower the jack to expose the mount. Remove the mount. Unbolt all the bolts for the tranny etc etc. Remove the tranny by lifting and rocking it back and forth until it starts to free itself. With a pillow already placed directly underneath, drop the tranny on the pillow. No need at all to support the engine if you don't want to. Provided all your mounts are fine it will hang fine.

Jack the tranny with a wooden block in between.. When it gets lined up and close enough to the dowel pins, get under the tranny and lift it up with your hands to get it lined up perfectly and push it in. It helps to have someone on top grabbing the temp mount nut and the starter hole to help guide.