Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken downpipe. What to do...? Weld or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Broken downpipe. What to do...? Weld or replace?

=shotoutacc0rd;49869870]do you have a 6th Gen coupe or sedan? I cant imagine carrying over the 2 fastener flanges from the 5th Gen for the hatch back, yet changing the sedan and coupe to 3 fastener.

he can probably still get an RMA by claiming the flanges dont work. And hopefully he learned the lesson that everyone tried to teach him, check & double check that the parts fit. Like tomcat said, call em to make sure. Trim, body style, and modifications all could potentially change part fitment. I guess this guy just likes learning things the hard way, I cant blame him I do it too
Actually I DO HAVE A SEDAN and I ALSO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LENGTH BETWEEN SEDAN/COUPE AND HATCHBACK. Do you?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by deschlong
Gah ... in fairness to OP, Amazon is **** for this kind of stuff. Just plugged in OP's DX and at no time did Amazon ask me if it was a Hatchback or Sedan or Coupe. Not clear at all -- it's certainly no RockAuto.
That I do believe, but either way it wouldn't have fit if he got the sedan/coupe part. Hatchback is shorter.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctunez
Good point lol but a good reputable exhaust shop should be able to provide good quality stainless pipe.
This is also true. The 2 exhaust packages I have purchased through EBay both had minor rust on them in several places. If you want perfection and are willing to pay at least 4 times the amount of EBay prices, go with th reputable exhaust shop. On a show car, this is the only option. On a daily driver, save that money and spend it on other parts that likely need attention.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by WaryDriver
I bought a new "B" pipe. Problem is one end has a 3-hole joint for bolting. My civic's original factory downpipe has a 2-hole joint for bolting to the B pipe.

I set the leftover part next to the wrong end for the picture. Notice near the top of the new B pipe there is a 3-hole connection NOT a 2-hole. TomCat39, I ordered from here (Amazon.com: AP Exhaust Products 78174 Exhaust Pipe: Automotive) and says it fits my car 1998 DX, etc. But its not fitting my car.

Here is the old pipe.

I'm not even sure this new pipe would fit if both ends were 2-hole. I havent even tried fitting yet. It's shaped differently than the original with the resonator in a different location and the hangers seem misplaced too. What would yall do?
RMA and return it. If you don't want to wait and want to spend more money, have a muffler shop weld the old flange on and bolt it up.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazon is like ebay without the auction. buy at ur own risk

guess there's no hatchbacks in ur local junkyard? u might not even be able to find hatch exhaust since they're not very common
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Gah ... in fairness to OP, Amazon is **** for this kind of stuff. Just plugged in OP's DX and at no time did Amazon ask me if it was a Hatchback or Sedan or Coupe. Not clear at all -- it's certainly no RockAuto.
Because the seller sets all that up. So the seller wrongly included every Civic for that year so it populated that drop box accordingly. It's not even an Amazon issue as they've become a big portal for third party sellers, in this case The Part Monster, that have no idea what they're selling.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Actually I DO HAVE A SEDAN and I ALSO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LENGTH BETWEEN SEDAN/COUPE AND HATCHBACK. Do you?
yeah yeah I know the hatchback exhausts are shorter. Even if they aren't I dont care I dislike the hatchbacks and also the 6th Gen so I kinda yakno dont care, I'm not trying to help the guy mod a pipe I just wanna see him have a pipe that works and he seems most interested in it being a bolt on affair. Sucks having a pipe drag and there's already too many straight piped civics we dont need more that are practically open header

if you're so smart does a coupe's d series shifter linkages fit onto a hatchback and vice versa? Bonus round, what about the civic del sol? You can only access bonus points if the original question is answered correctly. Go.

Last edited by shotoutacc0rd; 07-31-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to junkyard today. Four ek Civics were there. All were four-door (Sedan) though not three door. No 3-door hatchbacks. A '97 DX, 2000 EX, 2000 LX, and '97 something.

Q1: Would the four-door (Sedan) B pipe in these junkyard cars direct fit my 3-door (Hatchback) or not?

For reminders I have '98 DX "Hatchback".

Q2: Can anyone give me a link to buy what I need for a price that's not $350 from a honda part site. Here 18220-S01-C21 is for $363 http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-S01-C21.html
Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
yeah yeah I know the hatchback exhausts are shorter.

if you're so smart does a coupe's d series shifter linkages fit onto a hatchback and vice versa? Bonus round, what about the civic del sol? You can only access bonus points if the original question is answered correctly. Go.
You're nobody I have to answer to, there are people here who are worth my answers and you're not one of them. But I'll answer the bonus round and say this, if you're doing a b series swap into a del sol the shift linkage is SPECIFIC and you cannot use any from a eg/dc/ek. STFU AND MOVE ALONG WITH YOUR PROJECT.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Skryblz
Might want to get some exhaust wrap from autozone or somewhere in the mean time. Only like $7-8 and will keep the pipes together fairly well. I always use a monster can and wrap that over the tape with 2 hose clamps, keeps cold water from breaking the wrap when its hot.
haha nice, dont you people have muffler shops where you live? we do work like this on cars for hella cheap at our shop.. i know muffler shops here that can weld that together for 20 bucks wouldn't take but 10 minutes
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by WaryDriver
Went to junkyard today. Four ek Civics were there. All were four-door (Sedan) though not three door. No 3-door hatchbacks. A '97 DX, 2000 EX, 2000 LX, and '97 something.

Q1: Would the four-door (Sedan) B pipe in these junkyard cars direct fit my 3-door (Hatchback) or not?

For reminders I have '98 DX "Hatchback".

Q2: Can anyone give me a link to buy what I need for a price that's not $350 from a honda part site. Here 18220-S01-C21 is for $363 http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-S01-C21.html
based on the link the 2DR DX and HX from 1997-98 should be compatable with a 3DR DX. u just have to find a DX or HX from those two years.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You're nobody I have to answer to, there are people here who are worth my answers and you're not one of them. But I'll answer the bonus round and say this, if you're doing a b series swap into a del sol the shift linkage is SPECIFIC and you cannot use any from a eg/dc/ek. STFU AND MOVE ALONG WITH YOUR PROJECT.
that sure is a fancy way of saying "I dunno exactly" son. As per the rules I laid out you receive 0 points, bonus points aren't applied if you can't even pass the first round.

OP, look on amazon or eBay and actually read the info on the page read every single word in the advertisement. If it doesn't mention hatchback, look at another one. Do you kno how much of a pain in my but it was to find a 5th Gen EX sedan's driver side front interior door handle? Turns out its the same thing as the odyssey, and there was only 1 company selling them written out for a civic.

I highly doubt there's that few companys making 'economy minded' exhaust pipes for hatchback civics. Most, I'm sure, will be high performance minded pipes, but I bet you can find some. I'll see if I can help ya, we all gotta pay it forward.

also, before you purchase something, call em up and tell them to send you an email saying it'l fit onto your trim/body style. That way if it doesn't fit you can easily and without issues return it.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Amazon.com: Walker 18874 SoundFX Exhaust Resonator: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 18874 SoundFX Exhaust Resonator: Automotive

maybe this one? It doesn't say hatchback, but based solely on the photographs it looks correct. The picture you provided was helpful with this, the exhaust that came off your car had a much longer cat-> resonator pipe. I dunno if their picture is accurate, and since their ad doesn't have 'hatcback' specified, who knows?

also, here is Walker's phone # (734) 384-7830. I strongly urge you to call them, or any manufacturer before purchasing that brand exhaust system.

Last edited by shotoutacc0rd; 07-31-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...e24f57&vxp=mtr

I would suggest getting something like this and having a muffler shop mod it. My second EBay exhaust kit for my CRX was too long. It must have been for a Civic sedan. It was near X-Mas and I did not want to take my girlfriend looking at lights sounding like a fricken airplane. I had straight headers running. I paid $50 for them to do 2 cuts and 3 welds. I got raped. However, they said that those were really nice pipes and they do not deal in stainless very much. One muffler was $100. You just can't beat EBay prices.

$175.00 FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAXES!! Plenty of money left over to pay a shop to make it fit.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Fish Twig

that sure is a fancy way of saying "I dunno exactly" son. As per the rules I laid out you receive 0 points, bonus points aren't applied if you can't even pass the first round.

OP, look on amazon or eBay and actually read the info on the page read every single word in the advertisement. If it doesn't mention hatchback, look at another one. Do you kno how much of a pain in my but it was to find a 5th Gen EX sedan's driver side front interior door handle? Turns out its the same thing as the odyssey, and there was only 1 company selling them written out for a civic.

I highly doubt there's that few companys making 'economy minded' exhaust pipes for hatchback civics. Most, I'm sure, will be high performance minded pipes, but I bet you can find some. I'll see if I can help ya, we all gotta pay it forward.

also, before you purchase something, call em up and tell them to send you an email saying it'l fit onto your trim/body style. That way if it doesn't fit you can easily and without issues return it.
That's because your dumb *** didn't specify a generation. Since you wanna play games let's go noob

What's the easiest part of swapping in an automatic b series in a 96-00 civic?

What's the main reason the jseries transmission fails?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hey OP I called walker and the pipe you need is part number 47724. Its guaranteed or warrantee whatever and like 75$.

bolt in, easy peasy.

that fits all 6th generation civics besides the EX model and the Si model.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey OP I called walker and the pipe you need is part number 47724. Its guaranteed or warrantee whatever and like 75$.

bolt in, easy peasy.

that fits all 6th generation civics besides the EX model and the Si model.

Great. I can order Walker 47724 pipe from http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-47724...-/221508139226

And getting Walker 31360 gasket from
Amazon.com: Walker 31360 Exhaust Gasket: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 31360 Exhaust Gasket: Automotive

Actually, the 2000 LX Sedan and 1997 DX Sedan seems to use 18220-S01-C21 too as its B pipe, my hatchback's pipe. I'm going to pull from one of those two cars tomorrow instead of ordering unless somebody says not compatible before tomorrow.

P.S. Is it good to install gaskets dry or with silicone grease or something? Also, I've gotten a check engine light although I dont see it being related to driving without a middle pipe. My car sometimes dies after taking it out of gear into neutral and slowing down. Then i have to recrank it. I'm thinking it could be related to that not the exhaust.

Last edited by WaryDriver; 08-01-2014 at 09:08 PM.