Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Buyin a crv advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buyin a crv advice

Im looking to get a DD, most likely a suv or some sort.. I got a puppy in May and the civic just doesnt give us enough room.. I have plans for it aswell and would like opinions, Im looking to get a first gen crv 97-01 5 speed, which can be hard to find, but here are my numbers...tell me what youd do with 75oo, I've been trying to map it out

-crv-5,500 roughly or less... looking below or around 100,000 miles, red, black or blue, and throw green in there, but I'd like to have black or red

-suspension-
-since the crv will most likely need some updates, I decided I could use some of the loan to get a suspension... so
-D2's coilovers-roughly 850$
-Ksports coilovers-roughly 700-1200
-kido racing coilovers- 1000
-blackworks 700-900
I havent really looked at koni's and springs, I'd like to be able to raise it back up in the winter, and i didnt see if GC makes anything yet...

-Wheels- stock 15x6 unsure of the offset
-Well since I liked my enkeis sooo much, ive decieded if I get rims, I'd get rpf-1's 16x8 et15 in silver 900$

I'd like to get a fullsized spare aswell but may have to wait, and redo the brakes with a nice disc and pad setup

-tires- stock 205/70-15 the overall diamter is around 26 1/2"
Falkin 512's 245/50-16... 400$ diameter is about 25 1/2"

camber kit, hubcentric rings and mount and balance-110$

I've been searching for jdm/edm accesories aswell
I found some tail lights in the uk 100 bucks

OPINions wanted thanks everyone.....
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Buyin a crv advice

good luck finding a crv with under 100k LMAO and 5spd most likely wil not happen !!!!!!

when will people realize miles do not mean **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!

u can have a car with 80k that some retard owned and beat on or did not maintain or you can have a 180k mile car that was well maintained and taken care of that will last wayyyyyyy longer then the low mileage one !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5spd and under 100K - not going to happen.

I bought my wife a 01 crv tan SE auto crv in 2007 and just sold it a few months ago.
We bought it with 62,000 on it... why so low? in 2004 it was salvaged and just sat until 2007 when a small dealer fixed it up. We sold it with 91K on it.

ran like a champ, only issue was the weak *** OEM endlinks.
When you get it, swap it out for NAPA endlinks cause they are so much stronger.

Why do you want to mod out a CRV?
just to make it handle a bit better, go a little faster? cause that's all you can do, your not going to have the fastest or best handling honda that for sure.

So as long as your realistic about it, go ahead and start moding.
I'd go with proper spring rates and good shocks over spendy coilovers..... best bank for bug since your not going to be making this a autox monstor or anything.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd better start your search down south. Most northern CRV's are going to have some rust on them, somewhere.

And probably any low-mileage 5-speed will have been scooped up by now as that's a popular choice and not too many of those were made.

For suspension, I'd do KYB shocks and some coilover sleeves with standard rate springs. And I wouldn't lower it too much. That way you won't have to touch it in the winter.

Probably where I'd spend a lot of my money is going through and doing the maintenance items that hasn't already been done. Motor mounts, timing belt/valve adjustment, cap/rotor, fuel filter, replace any worn bushings, brake overhaul, etc.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 AM

You'll love the CR-V lowered and on some decent tires.

I would suggest you look for a set of 17" wheels, though. I had a set of RSX wheels on mine (16"), and they just looked tiny.

The 17x8 RPF1s will fill out the wheel well, and would look much better. Also, having a stock-like diameter without the extra sidewall will lend to sportier tire options and better handling.

I had Koni Yellows and GC sleeves on my CR-V, and had nothing but praise for it.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch4sale
good luck finding a crv with under 100k LMAO and 5spd most likely wil not happen !!!!!!

u can have a car with 80k that some retard owned and beat on or did not maintain or you can have a 180k mile car that was well maintained and taken care of that will last wayyyyyyy longer then the low mileage one !!!!!!!!!!
I fully understand what your saying sir.....

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/1928162590.html

you guys have no faith.....
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

modding out a crv, would have to do with personal taste, I hate sluggish turning cars, and I don't like suv's all that much, plus I've heard that they'er quite boxy and can roll easily...And you don't see to many nice looking crv's...

I wanted to see if gc and konis made applications for the crv, I just hadnt had the time to google search....

and hopefully I can find a seller, who already did the overhaul and has kept up with scheduled maintenance...

And if i were to do the 17's i would go with the 8 1/2" wide....et30 I believe it was

Thanks everyone and deatschwerks what were your spring rates with the gc's?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 03civicdopejmd
I fully understand what your saying sir.....

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/1928162590.html

you guys have no faith.....
faith look at it .....why was it repainted >>>>>> could use a minor tune up usualy results in it not being maintained POINT PROVEN
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so its not under 5,5oo? Why was it repainted? do you want a cookie sir?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first off buddie it has 114k on it not less then 100k or would i even consider buying a previously painted crv and the fact that said could maybe use a tune up goes back to what i originaly said miles dont mean anything its how it was maintained and if it might need a tune up dont you think they would have done it or taken it to the dealer
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eghatch4sale thanks..... looking below or around 100,000 miles is what i said, 114? I'd classify as "around." I reread that whole entire craigs-list post and coulda sworn it didn't say a word about the car being repainted, nor did I say anything of the sorts about buying this specific CRV... Tune up? Without knowing the specific's or calling, or even seeing the car in person, you have no actual idea of wtf they're selling, its a ad... please relax... I'm not looking to argue sorry if i instigated this, just looking for opinions on what to look for..... did you buy a used crv? Should i ask more questions....anythings that needed to be replaced and so on...
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM

I'd take a good look at the accessories. These are pretty much forget items, and I've seen quite a few 1st Gens with expiring A/C compressors, alternators and P/S pumps.

If it's important to you, check to make sure all of the emergency equipment is still in good shape and present. I'd check out all of the door pulls and power windows, too.

These are just a few of the small things I noticed after having my CR-V for a few months.

...and don't forget the table! You need that thing. It's handy.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a table? GTFO thats awesome, thanks chris... and thank you wiki... thats awesome! I'll make sure to check that all out.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot about this. Unless you are 100% confident the differential has Honda's Dual-Pump fluid, I would change that out ASAP. There's no telling what people (or old gentlemen shops) could have put in there.

Also, since you are looking for a 5-speed and are wanting something kinda sporty to drive. Look for a later model with the B20Z. '99+, I believe.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buyers of new cars was reassuring backup of a new car warranty, then they know that if something goes wrong, they will not have to suffer the consequences of a bill of major repairs. Any purchaser of a used car dealer will also have a guarantee, but it will not be for the same duration as the new vehicle warranty. Private buyers are not a guarantee at all.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

of course, but I dont have or I cant get the money to get a new car, and the dealers at used car lots raise the price because of that shafty guarantee...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch4sale

bump for an old thread. I'm new here. Picked up a '98 4WD crv 5speed for $2k. has 149k miles. Its possible, just have to look hard.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So why did you bump an old pointless thread to show incompetence? He was saying UNDER 100,000 miles and 5 speed. You have 149,000 miles..... which is over the target of 100,000.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMFAO...seriously bumping a 4 year old thread?!? Wow...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's keep bumping it to complain about someone bumping it, instead of reporting it and having the posts deleted.

Sounds logical.