Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would this bother you - door lock installation and tow damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this bother you - door lock installation and tow damage

Was a proud owner. This month would be one year. It took me 3 years to find this VX. Took it to a stereo shop couple months ago. Got a good deal. Tech did a good job on the front speakers and alarm. What killed me was the door lock actuators. He drilled an extra hole. And why did he have to bend those metal parts? He did the same thing on passenger but no extra holes.

I know my car is 22 years old. It is not perfect. When I got it, it had dents on the hood and fender. Holes on the carpet. That did not bother me cuss it happened with the previous owner and I did not see it. Some people say you can't see those holes it's behind the panel. So what, it still bothers me.

I had the head cylinder heli-coiled, and that did not bothered me. Another thing that bothers me also is what I'll show in the pictures. What is that strange looking thing underneath there? Some people say it could be from the towing company or the transporter. I don't know who to blame?? I had my car shipped from the mid-west. I did not find out till weeks later when I had the oil pan replaced.

I really need to regain confidence back and love to this car. Maybe it's just a mental diseased that I have.
Attached Images          
Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would this bother you

they did a really shitty job installing the lock actuators, notice the wires against the door edge? eventually it will rub through, looks like someone tore up one of the drain holes on the bottom of the car, no idea how.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
they did a really shitty job installing the lock actuators, notice the wires against the door edge? eventually it will rub through, looks like someone tore up one of the drain holes on the bottom of the car, no idea how.
I always have bad experience with stereo shops. IDK WHY?? I paid hundreds, I get shitty work. I paid thousands, I still get shitty work.

I was thinking of finding a new door for it. But is it really worth it?? Or sell it and do it all over again(not easy, gotta have the time and patience). But then the same thing will happen again! There's always one thing or the other
Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
longest project ever

i wonder if they stuck a hook in the drain hole to try and winch it down? then ripped out the steel in the process?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wonder if they stuck a hook in the drain hole to try and winch it down? then ripped out the steel in the process?
I just want to know if it was like that before it was shipped to me or happened on the way to me.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Transporter was two days late. Knocked off 200 so a hundred per day. Still wasn't happy cuss he never keep me updated or at least give a courtesy call. He arrived close to midnight and had me go meet him at Wal-Mart. Thought he was suppose to drop it off in front of my house.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by G2_Fella
Transporter was two days late. Knocked off 200 so a hundred per day. Still wasn't happy cuss he never keep me updated or at least give a courtesy call. He arrived close to midnight and had me go meet him at Wal-Mart. Thought he was suppose to drop it off in front of my house.
u cant b mad at him for not knowing your area, but nowadays we have GPs so thats pretty damn unprofessional.

I prefer to pick up my cars myself, and do my own work
Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He used that drain hole as an anchor point for a ratchet strap or chain. Suspension travel of the car cross country is what did that. As far as the actuators, yeah, the install could have been cleaner, BUT if you wanted a VX so badly that you searched for 3 years, why couldn't you be happy with the locks as they came? Its a Civic, not a BMW. If you wanted a clean OEM job, you should have sourced the parts and then paid for install or DIY'd a power door conversion.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Learn to love your car again by doing your own repairs and installations.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Griping about nothing. Don't like the job the audio guys did? Take it up with them. Don't know what the story behind the helicoil is-don't care. Holes in the carpet? Replace the raggedy-*** carpet. Dents in the hood. fix them or replace the hood? The damage to the undercarriage? What could you possibly do about it now; a year later? Not happy with the transporter? Drive your own car back home. BOTH, I repeat, BOTH of these Civics I own were bought from owners in other states (off of eBay no less) and we arranged to drive up, inspect the cars, complete the transaction, and drive back.

One of them came with a lot of messed up problems that I didn't catch when I bought it. With the exception of one of those problems (two if you count the shitty paint job) all have been fixed. This car has never let me down once. Get over it. It's a used car!!!! You've had it for a year. Fix what bothers you or get a new car. I've been fixing **** on ours since we've owned them. Maintenance on vehicles! What a racket! There should be a law against it.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Default Re: Would this bother you - door lock installation and tow damage

Pretty much agree with all posts above. What I would say is despite all the cons you've listed, they're all repairable/replaceable and more or less minor in the grand scheme of things. My daily is nearly 100% stock though I do random stuff to the engine/transmission (94 CX). But I don't nearly have as much fun as I do with my "project" car with all the BS headaches it can give me. I think that's what makes it fun. And I recall your screen name and see you live in the same area. You have tons of junkyard cars to pick/choose from to replace stuff, not everyone has access like we do. Take advantage of it.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 224 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
QFT.....
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
He used that drain hole as an anchor point for a ratchet strap or chain. Suspension travel of the car cross country is what did that. As far as the actuators, yeah, the install could have been cleaner, BUT if you wanted a VX so badly that you searched for 3 years, why couldn't you be happy with the locks as they came? Its a Civic, not a BMW. If you wanted a clean OEM job, you should have sourced the parts and then paid for install or DIY'd a power door conversion.
Wow, these two responses are dead-on. Grumblemarc's is pretty accurate too.

If you're keen on finding a clean vehicle, keep it clean by adding only OEM parts. Chalk up your door lock screwup to a mistake and a learning moment, but thankfully it's all covered up by the panel so just breathe easy. Do your own work in future.

The hole in the bottom is a little more troublesome, but even this is not fatal. Except for the possibility of rust. Spend some money and get it pounded back and welded up. It will be as good as new.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
longest project ever

there is no excuse to rip out sheet metal anchoring a car down, there are other stronger points, and whats wrong with adding power locks? lots of people add them, they arent that hard to do, apparently the assclown who installed these didnt know what he was doing. OP you need to sleeve those wires so the insulation doesnt wear through
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

because adding cheap crappy chinese actuators with backstrapping holding them in is ghetto, period. i worked at best buy wayyy back when doing install. i have put them in, i have a box of like 20 in my basement. theyre junk.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
u cant b mad at him for not knowing your area, but nowadays we have GPs so thats pretty damn unprofessional.

I prefer to pick up my cars myself, and do my own work
If the car was a couple hours away I don't mind driving there.

What's funny was I thought my car was going to be shipped by those big trucks with lots of cars lining up. But instead my car was the only car and last to be dropped off. It was delivered by a Dodge truck which holds maybe like 3 or 4 cars.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did all the research I could do. I just couldn't resist the price of an Alpine/Sony blue tooth head unit, Kicker speakers(fronts only), Viper 3105v alarm, Dei actuators. All for $350 parts and labor. Everyone else quoted $500 and up. Some are even in the $950 range. Some are generic actuators which I did not want. Some are Syctek which I did not like.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't be Mr. Know how everything. I wish I knew body work, auto repair, stereo installations.

I'm good at researching brand names at good price. I do enjoy changing oils, tune-ups, replacing easy parts, washing my car, wiping my car. Keeping my car clean.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Griping about nothing. Don't like the job the audio guys did? Take it up with them. Don't know what the story behind the helicoil is-don't care. Holes in the carpet? Replace the raggedy-*** carpet. Dents in the hood. fix them or replace the hood? The damage to the undercarriage? What could you possibly do about it now; a year later? Not happy with the transporter? Drive your own car back home. BOTH, I repeat, BOTH of these Civics I own were bought from owners in other states (off of eBay no less) and we arranged to drive up, inspect the cars, complete the transaction, and drive back.

One of them came with a lot of messed up problems that I didn't catch when I bought it. With the exception of one of those problems (two if you count the shitty paint job) all have been fixed. This car has never let me down once. Get over it. It's a used car!!!! You've had it for a year. Fix what bothers you or get a new car. I've been fixing **** on ours since we've owned them. Maintenance on vehicles! What a racket! There should be a law against it.
Why you so grumpy guy?

I would NEVER trust a car I don't know to drive 5 states away. I hired a transporter cuss I have no one to travel with, let alone I've never traveled far by myself. You are lucky to have someone travel with you. You must have money to back you up in case your car fails. Price to ship it home in an emergency must be double the amount.

Some people are so fortunate to know a lot of things. And have things go their way. Hey, life's not fair.

I will treat my car just like any Ferrari's owner.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Pretty much agree with all posts above. What I would say is despite all the cons you've listed, they're all repairable/replaceable and more or less minor in the grand scheme of things. My daily is nearly 100% stock though I do random stuff to the engine/transmission (94 CX). But I don't nearly have as much fun as I do with my "project" car with all the BS headaches it can give me. I think that's what makes it fun. And I recall your screen name and see you live in the same area. You have tons of junkyard cars to pick/choose from to replace stuff, not everyone has access like we do. Take advantage of it.
You think it can be replaced? The undercarriage. I don't want to go the repair route, cuss I know it will never be the same like shitty paint.

One of my favorite free times I enjoy doing these days are spending time at the junkyard. Today as a matter of fact, I went to Ecology in Oceanside for the first time. I must've saw 6-7 sedans, and 1 coupe. No hatchbacks at all. Oceanside show no love. Was thinking of heading to OC or IE to see what's out there. I say forget it and headed south. Chula Vista is the spot. No luck at the "pull your own parts" but came up big at Pacific. They just brought in a white '92 DX hb.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dude its the bottom of your car! And the inside of the door under the panels..

get over it?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Wow, these two responses are dead-on. Grumblemarc's is pretty accurate too.

If you're keen on finding a clean vehicle, keep it clean by adding only OEM parts. Chalk up your door lock screwup to a mistake and a learning moment, but thankfully it's all covered up by the panel so just breathe easy. Do your own work in future.

The hole in the bottom is a little more troublesome, but even this is not fatal. Except for the possibility of rust. Spend some money and get it pounded back and welded up. It will be as good as new.
I'm the "OEM" lover. Making trips to the stealership and trying to ask them to match internet price is what I love to do.

You sure the welder could make it look OEM? I don't want to see any scar marks.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no excuse to rip out sheet metal anchoring a car down, there are other stronger points, and whats wrong with adding power locks? lots of people add them, they arent that hard to do, apparently the assclown who installed these didnt know what he was doing. OP you need to sleeve those wires so the insulation doesnt wear through
At least there's somebody understanding me. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because adding cheap crappy chinese actuators with backstrapping holding them in is ghetto, period. i worked at best buy wayyy back when doing install. i have put them in, i have a box of like 20 in my basement. theyre junk.
I heard best buy installers are junk and overpriced.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
Dude its the bottom of your car! And the inside of the door under the panels..

get over it?
I'm trying to guy. That's why I come here for therapy and knowledge.

Quick Reply: Would this bother you - door lock installation and tow damage