Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

3M headlight restoration review

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3M headlight restoration review

So we all know these cars (any many others) have a problem with the headlights fogging up. I used some mothers mag and aluminum polish on my wifes MDX and it cleared them up a lot but i used it on the TL and it just couldnt get deep enough.

I had planned on washing both of our cars today after work so i went by the auto store and picked this up along with a few other detailing goodies.

This system was very straight forward and worked very well. Only thing you need is a drill. I started with my cordless makita but the battery didnt last long and moved to my dewalt plug in drill.

I dont have pictures of the passenger side as it got too dark, but I have process pictures of the passenger side and finished product of the driver side as both were roughly the same clarity. The pictures were through my phone but the pictures dont do it justice. anyway here are some pictures:

passenger side untouched:

it has a process of 500 grit, 800 grit and then 3000 grit wet sand. tops off with a buffing pad and rubbing compound and a protective wax.

this was the final product on the driver side:

I will get some better pictures tomorrow but I love how it changed the front end. I just purchased this car on tuesday and this was the first wash. its a great feeling during the initial rinse seeing the water bead off the body. The previous owner was very meticulous!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 3M headlight restoration review

Very cool, and I love that generation btw. Even better that it's a stick!

Did something similar with the Prelude's lights except I went 1000, 1500 and 2000 and then hit it with a polishing ball with compound (Mother's I believe).

The only issue is that I feel like the lights still yellow over time. Not sure if that means I'm not getting deep enough or that the headlights come with some sort of clear coat on them, and once treated the clear coat is gone/removed?

Looks good
Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a product on autogeek that is a sealant you use after performing this procedure. Its 60 dollars and I plan on doing that in the future but I wanted some immediate results to see how they would look.