Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Slammed on Stock steelies??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Slammed on Stock steelies??

i have done research on this and have found nothing.

i have form and function type 1 coilovers. along with stock wheels and tires
the specs for the tires are, 185x70x14

now the way the car sits can be considered different to many people.
but the car just starts to tuck tire. and the front tires are cambered(not by choice).

The question I have is how will this perform?
as in body roll, ride stiffness, will it affect the life span of the coilovers?

are there any pros to having this setup?
what are the cons?

thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 11:18 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Slammed on Stock steelies??

Originally Posted by 95accordian
The question I have is how will this perform?
as in body roll, ride stiffness, will it affect the life span of the coilovers?
With excess camber the tires will wear unevenly. Rather than the contact patch being across the tread width of the tire, it is limited to a smaller area. This will cause overheating, excessive wear, and potential unexpected failure of the tire.

When a car is simply lowered usually the spring rate is increased to prevent the suspension from bottoming out. This will make the ride stiffer/harsher than factory. Body roll will be reduced due to the increased spring rate, but if excess camber is also occuring reduction of tire grip happens. With no grip rather than the cars tire having traction and biting the road surface, the tire will slip and skid. With no grip there will be no body roll.

I am unfamiliar with the brand of coilover you speak of. However the spring and coilover assembly itself will probably be unaffected. But if the shock is constantly bottoming out it may fail early and leak. But again this is a function of how much throw the shock piston has, and what prevents the shock from mechanically bottoming out.

Pros are;
lower cars have lower CG
artificially increasing spring rate through the coilover increases roll stiffness
It also increases resistance to pitching fore and aft which can aid in reducing brake dive/load transfer.
Lower cars have improved aerodynamics, reducing air flow underneath.

Cons are
Increased spring rates can make a car ride harsher/uncomfortable.
Increased spring rates can cause the whole car to pitch and bounce over road imperfections, which will reduce overall tire grip. Maintain an acceptable spring rate to maintain grip.
Decreased ride height will also decrease bump travel, the car will crash over road imperfections which will affect handling negatively.
Lower cars are closer to the ground, requiring one to crawl out if the car is too low.

Last edited by MAD_MIKE; 03-08-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The increase in toe is more detrimental to tire wear than the increase in camber. Inside wear is caused mainly by excessive toe out.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
With excess camber the tires will wear unevenly. Rather than the contact patch being across the tread width of the tire, it is limited to a smaller area. This will cause overheating, excessive wear, and potential unexpected failure of the tire.

When a car is simply lowered usually the spring rate is increased to prevent the suspension from bottoming out. This will make the ride stiffer/harsher than factory. Body roll will be reduced due to the increased spring rate, but if excess camber is also occuring reduction of tire grip happens. With no grip rather than the cars tire having traction and biting the road surface, the tire will slip and skid. With no grip there will be no body roll.

I am unfamiliar with the brand of coilover you speak of. However the spring and coilover assembly itself will probably be unaffected. But if the shock is constantly bottoming out it may fail early and leak. But again this is a function of how much throw the shock piston has, and what prevents the shock from mechanically bottoming out.

Pros are;
lower cars have lower CG
artificially increasing spring rate through the coilover increases roll stiffness
It also increases resistance to pitching fore and aft which can aid in reducing brake dive/load transfer.
Lower cars have improved aerodynamics, reducing air flow underneath.

Cons are
Increased spring rates can make a car ride harsher/uncomfortable.
Increased spring rates can cause the whole car to pitch and bounce over road imperfections, which will reduce overall tire grip. Maintain an acceptable spring rate to maintain grip.
Decreased ride height will also decrease bump travel, the car will crash over road imperfections which will affect handling negatively.
Lower cars are closer to the ground, requiring one to crawl out if the car is too low.
Originally Posted by chrisnick
The increase in toe is more detrimental to tire wear than the increase in camber. Inside wear is caused mainly by excessive toe out.
but what im trying to figure out, is if they well destroy my coiloverS
Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coilovers are designed for different heights. You may be stressing other components such as wheel bearings, control arms etc without properly setting the tire. By this I mean the alignment. Lower your car, use appropriate rim/tire sizing, and keep the alignment within the spec. I used a couple different camber kits up front which allow me to adjust every aspect of the tire alignment as well as the rear. Stock springs and stock struts wont last a week with the lower height, but coilovers and the correct struts are designed for shorter travel as you require when lowering the car
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u were planning on going this low u could have went with the fnf type 2s. they have dampener adjustment which the type 1s dont have.
X2 on spring upgrade but this is going to give you a stiffer ride. which means u will feel every crack or pebble on the road.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accordturb96
coilovers are designed for different heights. You may be stressing other components such as wheel bearings, control arms etc without properly setting the tire. By this I mean the alignment. Lower your car, use appropriate rim/tire sizing, and keep the alignment within the spec. I used a couple different camber kits up front which allow me to adjust every aspect of the tire alignment as well as the rear. Stock springs and stock struts wont last a week with the lower height, but coilovers and the correct struts are designed for shorter travel as you require when lowering the car
what do you think of 17x7? and what kind of camber kits have you used the the front? for the rear I have wicked tuning... and shockingly before I went coilovers I went really cheap and got coilsleeves and maxed them out for about a month, then put the stock setup back together and the struts are still holding up perfectly.

Originally Posted by mrj_accord
if u were planning on going this low u could have went with the fnf type 2s. they have dampener adjustment which the type 1s dont have.
X2 on spring upgrade but this is going to give you a stiffer ride. which means u will feel every crack or pebble on the road.
well what happen there is I got the coils used with like 3k miles on them for the cheap so I wasn't complaining . and the ride isn't that bad. I still enjoy every second in my car, even if im scraping on a speed bump or such...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you think of 17x7? and what kind of camber kits have you used the the front? for the rear I have wicked tuning... and shockingly before I went coilovers I went really cheap and got coilsleeves and maxed them out for about a month, then put the stock setup back together and the struts are still holding up perfectly.

well what happen there is I got the coils used with like 3k miles on them for the cheap so I wasn't complaining . and the ride isn't that bad. I still enjoy every second in my car, even if im scraping on a speed bump or such...
17x7 with some good year F1 tires 215/45/17 is what I run. I love it. That tire size will allow the speedo to be right on the money and the tire fits perfectly with the lower kit. I use SPC adjustable upper balljoint. They're great parts
Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

17x7 with some good year F1 tires 215/45/17 is what I run. I love it. That tire size will allow the speedo to be right on the money and the tire fits perfectly with the lower kit. I use SPC adjustable upper balljoint. They're great parts
really how does it fill the well well? do you have any pictures?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm currently running 225/40/18 up front 235/40/18 at the rear. the 18's fill up the wheel well nicely. i cant go too low cause my downpipe scrapes. at my current ride height i haven't scrapped at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm currently running 225/40/18 up front 235/40/18 at the rear. the 18's fill up the wheel well nicely. i cant go too low cause my downpipe scrapes. at my current ride height i haven't scrapped at all.
looks nice! if you went lower would you poke? I have 205/40/17 that ill more then likely be running. and im stuck on how they will look.? and idk what ride height to go cause last year I was barely tucking the stock steelies with that big tire. and I had my fair share of scraping around town
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks nice! if you went lower would you poke? I have 205/40/17 that ill more then likely be running. and im stuck on how they will look.? and idk what ride height to go cause last year I was barely tucking the stock steelies with that big tire. and I had my fair share of scraping around town
no poke at all!!
i rub a little on the rears, but that depends on the bump and its a little rub.
after posting the pic i started to think that i need to come down a little more in the front. maybe half an inch to even out the ride.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  143.4 KB
really how does it fill the well well? do you have any pictures?
I love the way they fit. I need to figure out a wheel wobble/shake during excel and cruising though. May have to do with my 5sp swap or intermediate shaft or even wheel bearing install. Nasty when I turn the wheel and acell. Has nothing to do with with size though. This was the best size I came up with especially for keeping the speedo accurate
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no poke at all!!
i rub a little on the rears, but that depends on the bump and its a little rub.
after posting the pic i started to think that i need to come down a little more in the front. maybe half an inch to even out the ride.
its very nice, but im so stuck on what size I want?? what width? and even what wheel, and then what color. haha the struggle. but I agree I looked at the pic again and it will most likely change the look of the car if you do that, maybe even a little rake. put up a picture after you do it if you do.

Attachment 362082

I love the way they fit. I need to figure out a wheel wobble/shake during excel and cruising though. May have to do with my 5sp swap or intermediate shaft or even wheel bearing install. Nasty when I turn the wheel and acell. Has nothing to do with with size though. This was the best size I came up with especially for keeping the speedo accurate
what size? and geez sounds a little scary I know I have a little wobble but its because I don't have an alignment that I need to get asap. but axles might be a problem there, it sounds like one of those things where you gotta find a nice day and just search though everything to figure it out
Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

17x7 w some Goodyear f1 215/45/17
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

17x7 w some Goodyear f1 215/45/17
is there any way you can take a picture from like the front corner so I can see how it fills the well?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also I may be getting these rims from a buddy who purchased them used with tires but 2 have some pretty decent camber wear with the belt starting to show, no instead of me buying new tires can I reverse mount them? they have no stretch to them?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM
MM Gruppe B

If the tire is bald, it needs to be replaced.
If the tire is showing chords, you would be suicidal to use them.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM
MM Gruppe B