Battle Monkey's EK Hatch - AutoX/DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battle Monkey's EK Hatch - AutoX/DD

Action Shots: 3-29-14

[...]

I’m getting pumped for this weekend’s events! Running both Saturday and Sunday with two different regions should be a lot of fun. Two totally different sites, with all new competition; one concrete, one tarmac.

At the last event I ran in, a student from SIU came out and took a bunch of pictures! Huge thanks to Kevin T! For more pictures, check out his cloud space.

I kept losing my “8″, but no worries new magnets are on their way from AXLeague sponsor, SPS!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seeing your car at a show sometime last year, wouldn't mind running an event with you sometime this year in my Integra.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you have your fenders rolled?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sergey's House of Wheels North of Chicago. Cost $150 for all four corners.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AutoX Weekend: Double Header

[...]

Shameless plug out of the way… Check out axleague.org for the latest on the team-based autocross league running out of CCSCC!

I would also like to send a shout out to SPS (AXL Sponsor) for setting me up with the new magnets! They look great!

---

This weekend was an incredible eye-opener into the car’s setup. The high’s, the lows, and a look at what the car is truly capable of. Aside from some vtec engagement woes, everything else felt incredible and I couldn’t be happier with how the car is shaping up. I actually feel that the current spring rates may be very well suited for the typical, bumpy pavement that I run on.

I was very fortunate to have one of the fastest regional drivers co-drive with my for Saturday’s event. He really helped to reconfirm that the car is setup properly and that everything feels great. Overall, the car ran very well for its first full events on the new wheel setup.

For Saturday, I placed 2nd place in SMF to my co-driver by only 0.020s… I learned a lot from running with him, and am very grateful for all of his help! Aside from the SMF rankings, I placed 17th raw and 19th PAX out of 78 drivers.

unday’s event was with Chicago-SCCA. It was my first event with them, and unfortunately Sam and I got off to a bad start. The Google Map for Route 66 Raceway takes you to the wrong location…. Already having been down to the wire for registration, being late put us past the deadline. The guys at the event were kind enough to tech us upon arrival and get us to where we needed to be. Although running late, needless to say, gave us very little time to walk (more like RUN) the course, just once. Being that I am still a “driver in development”, it’s nice to have a good solid walkthrough where I can visualize my lines and memorize the course in my head.

Anyway, enough whining… I had a poor showing to my maiden Chicago-SCCA voyage, and am disappointed in my overall performance. The experience was very humbling after such a fantastic Saturday event. It just goes to show that even though the car is set up properly with great tires, it still has its limits and I need to learn to drive as close to the edge of those limits as possible without wandering outside of them. Tire heat is also an extremely important factor, and on cooler days with more time between and fewer runs, I need to find a way to get (and keep) heat in them.

The MLS Tire Blankets look like a really nice solution.

I also have video from my fastest run on Sunday that I will upload tonight.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^those mls covers are nice and they work well but are pricey. You can make your own out of HVAC insulation.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I have considered that, as well. My sister is really good at sewing, so I may be able to come up with a nice clean solution. Need to do a little research on what other people are doing. Otherwise, for $150ish, the MLS aren't TERRIBLE considering that I will have them for a looong time.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SMF is a fast class, keep at it. It's a lot of work to pilot one of these cars at 10/10ths. Work on your driving and the times will drop.

I second building your own tire warmers from HVAC stuff. cheap and works great.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sponsor Update: All Speed Innovations

[...]

I am proud to announce that All Speed Innovations is officially sponsoring the #618 SMF Civic! If you’ve been admiring my new custom BRAID wheel setup, you can thank ASI for the hook up on those! Pat, owner of ASI, has been very receptive to my future goals and is excited to have some new blood coming through the shop to expand on their ever-evolving expertise with purpose-built vehicles.

I am excited to work with the shop over the 2014 season, and have begun working out some setup options for the off-season entering 2015! Topics of discussion have ranged anywhere from a high compression ITB setup on the B16B, to a K-swap, and everything in-between. All Speed Innovations will be performing all of the major work on the car, and the CTR will likely spend most of its winter within the confines of their shop.

All Speed Innovations is also a sponsor of the Chris Greenhouse SRT-4 Rally car. Helping Chris to pave the way to multiple trophies in his professional really tour. They also were responsible for the cage design and fabrication of the new Professional Awesome Evo! ASI specializes in full track builds, rally prep, cage fabrication… And the list goes on… Give them a call if you’re interested in having some top-tier work done on your car!

Check out their website or give them a call to find out more what they can do for you! Here is a great write-up about the shop in Cincinnati Street Style

All Speed Innovations
2996 Henkle Drive
Suite J
Lebanon, OH 45036

(513) 228-0065

Picture credits to Cincy Street Style
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Craftsman 40" Tool Storage

[...]

This past weekend, my wife and I were at a Sears department store shopping for a new washer/dryer. I was browsing through the tools department checking out the current deals, when I saw that the 40″ Heavy Duty Tool Storage Unit was 50% off the retail of $1,200. When we got married, my wife promised to buy me a tool storage unit, since my ring was far cheaper than hers was . 8 months later, she followed through with that promise.

I am really impressed with the quality of the unit, and glad that I held out for this one rather than picking up a cheaper quality one. For something like a tool storage unit, which I intend on having for a very long time, I am happy spending a few extra bucks on a premium brand. Although with the sale, I’m not sure you can beat this 40″ unit for $600 USD.

I’m going to be putting the unit in the corner of my garage in front of the civic, with a 6′ butcher block countertop next to it. I am also getting a 30-gallon horizontal compressor from my dad’s warehouse, that I will be placing below the counter (need to see if it would fit, though. Also considering plumbing it from the basement). A wheel rack in the corner above the tool unit, and cabinets mounted above the work top. I’m also going to have an electrician come in and wire a handful of additional outlets, and some nice overhead lighting. Then I need to finish the walls and paint.

Anyway, here is phase 1!

Key Specs
75 lb load rating per drawer
Ball bearing drawer slides
Keyed locks on top and bottom units
Heavy duty casters
Nicely powdercoated finish

Here is my mock-up for the final back wall plans. Compressor placement depends on its size, etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For garage storage look into hyloft product via amazon, their shelves and wheel rack are pretty well priced and good quality.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, what are the measurements from the center of your wheels to the top of the fender? Im trying to figure out the height setting for my car, which is essentially very similar to yours.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

12.5" all around
Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is awesome.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder what the size difference between your new tire setup is compared to a 225/45 rival that I'm running on my car. I'm a lot lower than you are and I didn't have any problems rubbing at all. I didn't know you were from chicago-ish area also haha..i've been wanting to make it that direction to try an event or two.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xtream_V
I wonder what the size difference between your new tire setup is compared to a 225/45 rival that I'm running on my car. I'm a lot lower than you are and I didn't have any problems rubbing at all. I didn't know you were from chicago-ish area also haha..i've been wanting to make it that direction to try an event or two.
They are basically the same size, hankook measured a 1/16th wider on an 8. I went from 225 rivals to 225 z214's.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There’s Always Next Year: 11/08/2014

[...]

Well I’m back… After being plagued with an electrical issue for the past 6 months, I finally got the VTEC engagement working again on the car. I figure that it has to be a bad connection to the injectors or something, because the car and engine are mechanically perfect. The wiring, however, is a little bit janky. Which is why I have some big plans for this winter. More info to come as details get hammered out.

The event went well considering that I hadn’t driven the car since April, however there is still so much potential with the car. There is no reason why it should not be in the Top 10 raw times at every event. I did manage to pull out a 1st Place seat in the SMF class, which I was happy with. I won myself a nice hoodie.

Here are some pictures…

One of my co-driver

Old 12-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wheel Cleaning – Adam’s Polishes

[...]

Throughout the season, the white wheels got pretty nasty from scuffing cones and being tossed into the back of the hatch. Tonight I decided to clean them up as good as I could, and store them away in my basement for the winter.

I’ve been using Adam’s Polishes products for over 10 years now, and their products have never left me disappointed. My personal favorite “every application” type of product is their Detail Spray. It has a magical fruit punch/bubblegummie scent, and works for damn near everything I’ve used it for. It does a great job of refreshing wax, removing light dirt buildup, or wiping down a dusty dash. I also grabbed a new bottle of Buttery Wax and applicator, Clay Bar, Interior Detailer, Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, Quick Sealant, and a new towel and interior brush.

Overall, I’m very happy with how well the wheels cleaned up. It certainly is not easy maintaining white wheels and I was expecting a lot of the marks to be more stubborn than they were.

Here are some pictures of the scuffs before and after.

And a little cameo for my sidekick Henry. For the cuteness factor :D

Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Off-Season Plans ’14-’15

[...]

VTEC Issue Update: I spent a little more time on Monday tracking through all of my wiring, and found that 2 pins on my ECU were bent and not making proper contact with the connectors. After bending them back, VOILA! VTEC is working again and the car feels fantastic.

As for my winter plans, the car will be heading off to my sponsor shop, All Speed Innovations. Be sure to check them out at allspeedinnovations.com .

Things that are definitely happening

- clean up the wiring

- slight wire tuck and engine bay shaving (just enough to clean it up without making it impossible to work on the car)

- Strip and clean the chassis, paint engine bay white

- Half cage by All Speed Innovations

- Teamtech harnesses (4 or 5 Point)

- Rear camber kit

- Battery relocation

- ss lines and AN fittings

Things that might also happen

- K20A-R Swap

I know that the typical consensus is that the K24 is the way to go. But I really want a package deal of factory performance with high revs, great power, and factory LSD. Without having to go the route of needing to source parts from several sources to piece together my drivetrain (’06+ TSX longblock + ’09+ Civic Si transmission internals + RSX transmission case). With custom intake, exhaust, and K-Pro among other peripheral swap parts, I figure the K20A will put down around 230whp/165wtq.

I want the car to be the perfect balance of performance and factory reliability. All while keeping with the spirit of the red badge.

Lots more to come once the car arrives at All Speed Innovations and I can discuss the plans with Pat!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never known anyone whose gone from k20 to k24 and ever wanted to go back. It's just 100% better and not anymore difficult. Yeah, you rev to 8k instead of 8800, but you start making power way way earlier.

But if you're gonna insist on a 2.0L I'd still definitely not spend the money on the R.

The difference between it and a A2/z1/z3 is minimal, while the difference in price is substantial. Also the Z3 transmission is much more available for much less money/in better condition and it also came with the LSD. Also, any used transmission you buy it's going to be worth opening it up and seeing what's inside. At that point installing an LSD is easy. Everyone works within a budget and if the money saved was put back into the car, it will be much better off. JDM tyte-ness really isn't worth it with the K series.

Full R swap from hmotors = ~$5k
06-08 TSX /w <50k miles, fully dressed = ~$1500
Low mileage Z3 trans = ~$1200
Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jennings, once again thanks for your great insight! Much appreciated. My tuner Mikey also gave me pretty much your exact advice.

Where do people typically source their K24's from? Someplace like Car-Part?

One additional reason why I am considering the R is due to potential availability to a full front clip at a good price near my sponsor's shop. Which would offer up everything from the Engine, Trans, various cables, all wiring, etc. Which could potentially only set me back about 3-4k. If that falls through, I will probably spend the season compiling the K24 swap parts and run the B16 through 2015.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I buy my engines/transmissions off car-part. I paid 1400 for an 06 tsx with 46k and that seems to be about average. I don't remember what I paid for my 6 speed, I use Ep3 5 speeds now, the 1-2 gearing is better for autocross.

A front clip won't really make things much easier, there isn't much you'd be using from it, and those parts are all pretty easy to find.

You are 5 lug so oem 36mm type s axles work, which is good they are strong and readily available. You may need to swap inners or maybe not for the Ek to get the correct axle lengths, the infos out there though.

The only oem wiring you need is an engine harness (and a swap harness but that's aftermarket or diy). Brand new oem engine harnesses are pretty cheap and worth it just to not have to deal with old connectors or any potentially hard to diagnose wiring issues. I think under $200, but I bought mine a while ago. The rsx S harness works perfectly well with the tsx engine, you just swap one sensor, the crank position sensor, bolts right in.

Besides that all the oem stuff you need is a shift box and cables, again pretty easy to source and there are cool aftermarket options as well. Everything else involved with the swp is aftermarket stuff (mounts, kpro, fuel, exhaust).

I'd also strongly reccomend getting a 50 degree Vtc gear (out of any of the good K20's) and an RBC (Civic Si Intake Manifold). They are the low hanging fruit/bang for buck upgrades worth doing right at the start.

Last edited by 10cjennings; 12-27-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All Speed Innovations Cage, Part 1: Prep

[...]

Well, the car is finally in Ohio at All Speed Innovations being prepped and fitted for its half cage. This was my first time visiting the new shop, and I must say that I was super impressed with the layout and how organized everything was. Every car has its own file and section on a large steel rack for part take-offs. I have been to several other shops around the Midwest, and this is definitely one of the best organized that I have been to. Here are some pictures of the shop.

www.allspeedinnovations.com

Pat, the owner, and I got started on removing the interior in order to prep the car for its new DOM half cage. All of the lower interior is removed, aside from the dash. The half cage will consist of a main hoop, down bars to the rear strut tower, harness bar, x-bracing, and a rear strut tower brace. Upon completion, the cage and rear interior will be sprayed white to match the exterior. In addition to the cage, the car will also be fitted with Teamtech 4-pt harnesses, a flocked dash, SPA Technique Dual gauges (Oil Temp./Oil Press. & Water Temp./Trans Temp.), fixing all of the wiring and a mild tuck, Driven suede-wrapped 12.5″ steering wheel, and a few other goodies. If everything falls into place, the CTR may have a K24 before the start of the 2015 season… So stay tuned.

Here are some pictures of the interior removal.

This is why slamming a street car is never a good idea… One of the previous owners must’ve hit something nasty that punctured through the floorboard. This will also be fixed.

That’s as far as we decided to go today. All that’s left before the cage is to remove the dash, and trim all unnecessary bracketing. ASI plans to start work on the cage next week, and should be completed by about the end of January.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jennings,

What transmission are you running? The Z3 with LSD? What do you top out at in 2nd gear?

I did some graphing of the ratios etch with my wheel setup, and it looks like 2nd gear will top out at 51mph. Which wouldn't necessarily be ideal for an autocross setup.

Any input you can offer?

Quick Reply: Battle Monkey's EK Hatch - AutoX/DD