Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Found oil all over spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found oil all over spark plugs

So I changed my spark plugs about 8 months ago and I changed them again. When I changed them 8 months ago they were black like it was running rich, there was also no thermostat in my car at the time. Yesterday I took them out, I noticed the spark plug was wet with something, it looks like oil but doesn't smell like oil at all. It was all over the threads. Oil level is fine, It leaks from the oil cooler seal though. Coolant level is fine, hasn't overheated in months. Cylinder #3 spark plug was the only one that indicated it was burning oil. 8 months ago there was no indication of it burning oil. The car runs as it did when I bought it. It misfired when the timing was too advanced and it pinged, got the timing better and no longer pings and also got more power now than ever before. Power balance test is even across all 4 cylinders. Takes longer to start when sitting overnight but after that starts fine. No smoke when starting first thing in the morning. No smoke when driving. I bought a compression tester online and I will check the compression. For the record I only drive my car to work and back all city about 7 miles a day 4-5 days a week. Gas mileage is pretty good. I thought the spark plugs seals were bad but they look good even took the valve cover off and nothing. I adjusted my valves about 2 weeks ago to spec. Idk what could this be. H23A1.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Found oil all over spark plugs

Is the oil on top or bottom of the plug? If it coming from the combustion chamber id assume bad rings. But more commonly oil gets on plugs from the valve cover seals. Go buy a VC seal rebuild kit for like $15 bucks and see if that helps.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman
Is the oil on top or bottom of the plug? If it coming from the combustion chamber id assume bad rings. But more commonly oil gets on plugs from the valve cover seals. Go buy a VC seal rebuild kit for like $15 bucks and see if that helps.
It was on the threads and it looked like the firing end also. It looks like oil but less thick, it doesn't smell like oil at all nor coolant nor gas. The spark plug wire boot seemed dry. When I get my compression tester next week I will check the compression. I'm gonna pull some plugs tomorrow and see what comes out. If it's still comes out with this substance I will buy the VC kit. If it ends up being the valve seals I'm gonna wait till I get my 5th gen then rebuild the head. Btw my car doesn't smoke at all.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I pulled the plugs and didn't see any oil. Just waiting on the compression tester to get here.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's always possible something leaked from the top, if you missed the oil fill in the last oil change (or other service mechanic)...

other thing to be aware, when you take the plugs out of the holes it becomes hard to tell if it was ONLY below the threads as any fluid will seep in as you unscrew the spark plug ... so time to get a flashlight and/or a rag on the end of a screw driver and dip it down before removing the spark plug to help determine.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a compression test and it came up to 165 PSI across all 4
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw I have a question. If the mechanical timing is off can it affect compression numbers?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suppose if your timing belt was WAY off to the point the valves hadn't fully closed by the time the piston reached TDC, then yes.

However, if that was happening your engine likely wouldn't run.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id replace the spark plug gaskets
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey AudioFunk, how did the fender corner marker install turn out?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey AudioFunk, how did the fender corner marker install turn out?

Looks really good now (:
Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Awesome! Looks good!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Awesome! Looks good!
Thanks (: .Not the best picture but I'll take another one and show her off . Btw I checked the spark plugs again and no oil. Weird. btw is it ok if I use 10w-30 oil? I've been using nothing but 5W-30 for the past year. I live in South Cali so it gets hot here.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With that low of weight it may be only when you get the engine really hot. People who had no leaks who then switched to a thin synthetic will all of a sudden have a oil pan leak. Im thinking it may be similar to that.

10w-30 is fine, thats what I ran 10-30 Royal Purple.

Thinner oil helps lubricate better at high rpm's, which is why race cars run low weight oil. But it doesnt cool as well at lower rpm's.

On the other side of the coin thicker oil cools the engine better. But doesnt give the same protection at higher Rpm's.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With that low of weight it may be only when you get the engine really hot. People who had no leaks who then switched to a thin synthetic will all of a sudden have a oil pan leak. Im thinking it may be similar to that.

10w-30 is fine, thats what I ran 10-30 Royal Purple.

Thinner oil helps lubricate better at high rpm's, which is why race cars run low weight oil. But it doesnt cool as well at lower rpm's.

On the other side of the coin thicker oil cools the engine better. But doesnt give the same protection at higher Rpm's.
Thicker oil also helps quiet valves? Last owner said my car had a new head. I think the timing belt broke on it. I adjusted my valves twice to spec and it's still kinda noisy. It did help a lot but they're still noisy.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All set up
Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AudioFunk
Thicker oil also helps quiet valves? Last owner said my car had a new head. I think the timing belt broke on it. I adjusted my valves twice to spec and it's still kinda noisy. It did help a lot but they're still noisy.
Ya, a thicker oil can reduce some noisy lifters. Thicker oil will also give you back some oil pressure and keep the engine better cooled. H series LOVE high Zinc oil, you could also add some zinc additive to your next oil change.

On fresh rebuilt heads you will need to adjust a couple times while it breaks in, thats normal. Your engine was stone cold when you did the adjustments too right? Its best to do it in the morning after the engine has had all night to cool down. Doing while warm, or recently ran "same day" can give bad clearances.

Cars looking nice! What kind of bulbs and how many kelvins are you headlights, just curious?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya, a thicker oil can reduce some noisy lifters. Thicker oil will also give you back some oil pressure and keep the engine better cooled. H series LOVE high Zinc oil, you could also add some zinc additive to your next oil change.

On fresh rebuilt heads you will need to adjust a couple times while it breaks in, thats normal. Your engine was stone cold when you did the adjustments too right? Its best to do it in the morning after the engine has had all night to cool down. Doing while warm, or recently ran "same day" can give bad clearances.

Cars looking nice! What kind of bulbs and how many kelvins are you headlights, just curious?
I got it on eBay it is a 10000K brilliant blue made my autovizion. Btw yeah the head was stone cold. I'm gonna re adjust them again and strip and re paint my valve color. It's a superman blue now and idk what color to do it lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, yeah they def are blue lol. I almost bought blue lights, I ended up deciding to get the whitest lights I could. Bought me some Phillip's 5K diamond visions for everything, brights, dims, and fogs. 6-10k's is when they turn a blue tint, higher then that it turns purple. But in a cop happy town I figured bright white lights would attract enough attention.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, yeah they def are blue lol. I almost bought blue lights, I ended up deciding to get the whitest lights I could. Bought me some Phillip's 5K diamond visions for everything, brights, dims, and fogs. 6-10k's is when they turn a blue tint, higher then that it turns purple. But in a cop happy town I figured bright white lights would attract enough attention.
I want white ones lol
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The gaskets under your plugs are bad, IDC what grade oil you use, it should not seep past