Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Changing spark plugs & fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing spark plugs & fuel filter

My trusty little Jazz has done over 202,000km now and is still on the first set of plugs. There are no hassles starting but I feel I should consider changing them but I hear it is a huge mission. The dealer tells me you need to dismantle the windscreen wiper mechanism to get to the plugs! If anyone has done this at home and can offer some advice and/or tips it would be much appreciated. I have tried to buy the plugs directly from NGK but they do not import them, or so they say - dealer purchase only, and the price is horrendous!

I also would like to change the in-tank fuel filter but have absolutely no idea where to start. Any advice or tips here?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Changing spark plugs & fuel filter

If your Jazz was made after 2009, this link will help. I suggest that you buy a magnetic spark plug socket to do this job. They are inexpensive, and can prevent breaking a plug by accidentally dropping it out of a plug socket that only has a rubber o-ring to hold the old plugs for removal and the new plugs for installation.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...-plug-r-r.html

During the recall of 2009 USDM Fits to replace faulty "lost motion valve springs", it was common for dealer service personnel to break some of the cowl plastic mounting clips. You would be wise to buy some spare cowl clips in case you break some in removing and replacing your cowl.

The cost of a magnetic spark plug socket and a few spare cowl clips will save you a ton of wasted money that you will pay a dealer or independent mechanic in labor charges to do this easy job. Once you get the interfering parts out of the way and actually get at the coil packs and spark plugs, the plug replacement is only a only ten minute job.

Removing and replacing the wipers, wiper motor and cowl is about as difficult as tying your own shoes. It's a simple, step-by-step procedure, and you just need to be careful not to break the fasteners (as in- stripping screws or breaking clips).

Last edited by manxman; 03-30-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Changing spark plugs & fuel filter

Fuel filter is not too bad but you either need to buy a special wrench or make one of your own which isn't too difficult.

All it is needed for is spinning off a large castle type nut that you can get to turn by using the slots in the nut to apply pressure to.

Remove the consul and it is right near the handbrake mounting. Spin the nut off and remove the whole assembly.

The actual filter is mounted on the supply pipe that goes into the tank along with the pump.

BUT many owners have more mileage than you and have never changed them with no problems. You only need to change it if you begin to experience problems.