Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
ian1006
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to ian1006
Default TDC sensor questions

I have been searching for days now and find contradicting info everywhere. I have 97 Accord LX Automatic. I checked the code and am getting code 8 for top dead center position sensor. I am trying to find out where the sensor is, is it in the dizzy or by the crank? If its on the crank do I need to remove the crank pulley to get to it. Going to do a timing belt / water pump change soon so would be nice if its right there to replace at the same time.
Would this be the reason for bad gas mileage? would it also be the cause of low power, or just the fact I am driving and automatic accord ?
Please only reply if you know or have experience with this...to much bad info out there already
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
phootbag
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: TDC sensor questions

If this is a 4 cylinder the TDC sensor is located in the distributor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisff521 View Post
Ok so youre saying I should replace the whole "dizzy" ?
phootbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
GhostAccord
Honda-Tech Member
1996 Honda Accord

Send a message via MSN to GhostAccord

On the OBD2 96-97 F22B1 & B2 4 cylinder engine. The TDC & CKP are both found mounted on the oil pump housing behind the crank pulley. It will require the crank pulley and timing belt cover to be removed. If your planning on doing the timing belt and various maintenance it would be perfect time to replace them. I say them becuase the TDC & CKP come as a complete harness. Part number 37840-P0A-A01

Click the image to open in full size.

These sensors don't go bad all that often though. It is usually a faulty, dirty connector or a wiring issue. Test/Check those before you go replacing stuff.

Oh and if it's a V6 it's part number 37500-P0G-A01 and it is also found mounted to the oil pump housing behind the crank pulley.
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
phootbag
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Doh! My brain farted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisff521 View Post
Ok so youre saying I should replace the whole "dizzy" ?
phootbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
GhostAccord
Honda-Tech Member
1996 Honda Accord

lol
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
B18C5-EH2
Former Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to B18C5-EH2

Just curious:

Do you have access to an actual OBD2 scan tool to get the most accurate code description? I've never been a big fan of using the flashing codes for OBD2 cars.

I've never seen the CKP sensor pictured above there go bad on any 96-97 Accords in the 10 years I've worked at a Honda/Acura only repair shop. I've seen plenty of the 98-02 year model Accords have the CKP/TDC sensors go bad for whatever reason, but again not so much the 96-97.
B18C5-EH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
suzukiookie
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

i just had that same problem with my car after i rebuilt it, P1361 TDC sensor intermittent interruption, so i just reran the wires with 18/4 shielded and that fixed the problem, i reran them from the two sensors by the crank gear up along the motor under the intake and where they came out on the other side i finished the splice,and with the shield wire the end by the crank i put one with a ring term on the block and the other end i just put to chassis ground, thought it would be alot better then buying new a sensor, fyi my motor is f22b1 2.2 vtec
suzukiookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
ian1006
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to ian1006

Thanks for the replies. I will go and get the car scanned at a shop and hopefully get this done. I dont have the time right now to do the timing belt change and my jack broke so I have to pay someone to do the tbelt unfortunately.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Johnny_9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
On the OBD2 96-97 F22B1 & B2 4 cylinder engine. The TDC & CKP are both found mounted on the oil pump housing behind the crank pulley. It will require the crank pulley and timing belt cover to be removed. If your planning on doing the timing belt and various maintenance it would be perfect time to replace them. I say them becuase the TDC & CKP come as a complete harness. Part number 37840-P0A-A01

Click the image to open in full size.

These sensors don't go bad all that often though. It is usually a faulty, dirty connector or a wiring issue. Test/Check those before you go replacing stuff.

Oh and if it's a V6 it's part number 37500-P0G-A01 and it is also found mounted to the oil pump housing behind the crank pulley.

Good Info. The pic isnt clear...how many tooth on the TDC sensor, and how many revolutions per one crank revolution?
Johnny_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
GhostAccord
Honda-Tech Member
1996 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_9 View Post
Good Info. The pic isnt clear...how many tooth on the TDC sensor, and how many revolutions per one crank revolution?
There are 720 in a complete cycle of our Honda engines. Therefore if the trigger wheel for the TDC sensor on the crank has 2 teeth. It will then have 4 pulse signals for a complete cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
I have found the following on my OBD2 setup;

Cylinder position sensor (CYP) (cam/distributor) - 1 tooth wheel (1 pulse / 360 camshaft rotation or 2 pulses / 720 crank rotation)
Crank position sensor (CKP) (crank) - 12 tooth wheel (24 pulses / 720 crank rotation)
Top dead center sensor (TDC) (crank) - 2 tooth wheel (4 pulses / 720 crank rotation)

My OBD2 has 2 of the sensors located on the crank so the tooth count is different but the end result is the same. Many OBD1 honda's have all three sensors in the distributor.

So I would assume that the count for a distributor mounted set of toothed wheels would be as follows;
Cylinder position sensor (CYP) = 1 tooth wheel
Crank position sensor (CKP) = 24 tooth wheel
Top dead center sensor (TDC) = 4 tooth wheel
I posted this in another thread....I'm pretty sure you responded in it!....

submit to reddit

Tags
1997, 2000, 97, accord, belt, center, civic, cost, crankshaft, dead, honda, position, repairing, sensor, tdc, timing, top, wagon