Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

NEW DRAG CLASS STRUCTURE FOR 2010 IMPORT FACE-OFF SERIES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW DRAG CLASS STRUCTURE FOR 2010 IMPORT FACE-OFF SERIES?

After the success of the All Motor Sport heads up class in Maryland, we’re looking to create more heads up classes. The bracket classes are getting smaller these days and it seems 90% of the racers would rather compete heads up. None of the spectators enjoy watching bracket racing. Below is a summary. Let us know what you think, feel free to post suggestions!

1) FWD SPORT $1400 (same rules as 2009) $700 to 1st, $300 to R/U, $100 semi, $100 semi, $50 to each quarter. The usual SFWD class of previous years, but 6cyl added for that rare case a highly modified Maxima or Accord wants to join in. Also, wheelie bars and one piece front ends allowed for n/a cars. Pro n/a cars have a class to race in now! Class presented by SPEC Clutches and Flywheels.

2) FORCED INDUCTION PRO $1000 (F/R/AWD 4/6 cyl or rotary only, oem frame, slicks and open exhaust OK, no air cooled entries) $600 to 1st, $200 to R/U, $100 semi, $100 semi. Pretty much the same as usual IFO street class, but slicks and open exhaust will be OK now (safer and easier on drive train). Out of manufacturer motor swaps will now be allowed since becoming more common these days. This class mainly for the r/awd guys running 11s and faster. Class presented by Forced Performance.

3) FORCED INDUCTION SPORT $400 (F/R/AWD 4/6 cyl or rotary only, slicks OK for FWD only, full exhaust and interior required, current registration required, no air cooled entries) $200 to 1st, $100 to R/U, $50 to semis. This class for all the budget builds (smaller turbos, bolt-ons, etc) running 11 to 13 seconds. It’s possible this class could be dominated by some 9 or 10 second car within the rules, but won’t have to worry about that since payout is nowhere near as high as FI Pro or FWD class. *Update 9/10/09, interior must include front and back seats, all carpet, door panels, dash. No lexan or cutting body panels allowed. Class presented by Go Autoworks.

4) ALL MOTOR PRO $500 (F/RWD 4/6 cyl or rotary, n/a engines only, slicks OK for FWD only, open exhaust OK). $350 to 1st, $150 to R/U. Same as all previous years except will be labeled pro to differentiate from sport. Class presented by Hybrid Racing.

5) ALL MOTOR SPORT $300 (F/RWD 4/6 cyl or rotary, n/a engines only, slicks OK for FWD only, full exhaust and interior required, current registration required). $200 to 1st, $100 to R/U This is the class that started it all (thanks Randy). In Maryland it consisted of mostly 12 to 13 second Hondas, bolt-on 350Zx, NSXs, etc. This class will double to quick 16s with higher pay outs often. *Update 9/10/09, interior must include front and back seats, all carpet, door panels, dash. No lexan or cutting body panels allowed. Class presenting sponsor position open.

6) OUTLAW $500 (any import or domestic sport compact body/engine, air cooled entries permitted). $350 to 1st, $150 to R/U. Same as all previous years. Class presented by Cobb Tuning.

7) BRACKET $200 (any import or domestic sport compact) $150 to 1st, $50 to R/U. Same as all previous years and will be filled with mostly 14 to 16 seconds cars. Anyone running faster will be encourage / made to enter one of the heads up sport classes. Presented by Altered Atmosphere.

All classes will be quick 8, but if 14 or more enter, class will be bumped to a Quick 16 with pay outs added down to semis. Entry fees will go down to $25 instead of $30. 200+ mile free entry vouchers will still be offered. Finally, we’ve been doing this more and more lately... During tech, IFO staff will decide what class you should be in. Most all of you already know what class to race, but just mentioning this for the new guys. We do NOT want to see fast, competitive racers only running TnT passes any more. If you don’t like the class we put you in, too bad. Trust that we know what we’re doing and will pick the best class for you specifically and for the sport as a whole. Please also notice we’ll keep the class names simple and to the point, no “Hot Rod Fighter Super Comp ” class names that get confusing.

Lastly, expect another 20+ event IFO schedule for 2010. The schedule will be very similar to the 2009 schedule, www.ImportFaceOff.net

Last edited by HybridMT; 09-13-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW DRAG CLASS STRUCTURE FOR 2010 IMPORT FACE-OFF SERIES?

Looks good to me-thanks cliff

Marc P
Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup looks good Cliff! Thanks again! See you in Shreveport!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a step in the right direction IMO. we have been talking about doing something along the lines of what randy lined up at capital for a few years now....and it worked. seems logical to do it to all of the class's.

there are sooooo many 11 and 12 second true daily driven turbo cars out there. those guys didnt want to race brackets so they either stayed home or just came to watch. now they actually have an opportunity to race with out having to spend another 30 grand to run in the 9's.

are their going to be turbo limits for the different class's? (i feel there should be). even though you have the lower pay out in what would be the smaller turbo class's...i'd imagine you would still have guys that dont care about the pay out, they just want to win their class.

you seemed pleased with the turn out here in maryland at capital.......... i would strongly suggest looking into getting an event at MIR next year, they always have really good turn outs.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good Cliff. Glad to see IFO growing. Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff. You guys are on the ball with this. Thats how race series should work. Not a schedule and rules 2 weeks before the first event starts. LOL.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

We're actually looking to restructure to these classes BEFORE 2010, just waiting on one more IFO regular to OK it.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Pretty-n-Pink

I think the outlaw class is going to be kinda pointless due to the pro FI class.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like the way this is heading. It gives us guys with a simple setup and limited budgets to have a chance and have some fun. And not only that but probably some pretty good close competition. It's like watching Pinks All Out, no matter how fast or slow the class they chose is, because their all really equal it makes for an exciting show to watch. I will say at IFO in KC this past spring it was a pretty good turn out as far as spectators go. I've been to a handful of other events at KCIR and there turn out wasn't even close to what it was at IFO. I can't wait until Sept. Hopefully I can keep a motor together long enough
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Vietnamese!

Awesome.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Originally Posted by kutsujus2k
I think the outlaw class is going to be kinda pointless due to the pro FI class.
OUTLAW is for the anything goes cars... hot rod cars, VW pro stock, modified/tube chassis/back half cars. There aren't many around any more, but gotta have this class for them just in case since they're "outlawed" from all the other classes. The Outlaw class ensures there is a heads up class for ANY type import/sport compact at IFO.

PRO FORCED INDUCTION will be for oem frame cars only, no tube chassis, back half, wheelie bars, etc. Basically the old IFO Street Quick 8 class, but open exhaust and slicks now allowed.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Dang it! I suck at making stuff up!

emailed.......
Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great Cliff

as joe said, i would definately consider a turbo limit at least in the FI sport class.

are you gonna require 93 pump gas in sport allmotor? the main reason i made that rule is because theres nothing stopping someone from putting together a purpose built car to run low 11's or even some 10 sec passes in this class on race gas or e85.

i know it will be dificult to regulate, but w/o this rule someone will eventually take advantage of the class. the pump gas rule is the only thing that will keep it a 12 second class.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The FORCED INDUCTION SPORT Class would be great

I know alot of people including myself who have no real class to compete in.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Yes, we'll consider turbo size and fuel limits, but I honestly don't see that being a problem because of the payout, also because of IFO staff supervising all tech-in. If it ever becomes an issue, a set limit will immediately be added.

The classes will most likely be set up for September through December. However, FI PRO rules will remain the same as the old Street Quick 8 rules since there are points racers who have already spent a lot of time and money on dot tires and custom exhaust. For 2010, open exhaust, slicks, and out of manufacturer engine swaps will be allowed in FI PRO.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good Cliff, goodluck w/ everything

if you decide to come back to MD next season definately let me know, i will be happy to help w/ anything and i know the turnout will be even better
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Dang it! I suck at making stuff up!

? when u say payouts garaunteed no matter turnout......does that mean if only 2 people are in my class i still get the 700? or i get something?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
Looks great Cliff

as joe said, i would definately consider a turbo limit at least in the FI sport class.

are you gonna require 93 pump gas in sport allmotor? the main reason i made that rule is because theres nothing stopping someone from putting together a purpose built car to run low 11's or even some 10 sec passes in this class on race gas or e85.

i know it will be dificult to regulate, but w/o this rule someone will eventually take advantage of the class. the pump gas rule is the only thing that will keep it a 12 second class.

theres a few 11.0 cars out here that run 91 octane
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ctr_ek209
theres a few 11.0 cars out here that run 91 octane

w/ full interior, full exhaust, and tags/registration? i seriously doubt it.....

i could see a couple well built k or h2b's possibly going mid 11's in this trim, but not low 11's
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Yes, full payout. Maybe not for new location events though. We'll see about that later. Definitely full pay out if close to full. Have racers not noticed the last few times a class was not full we still paid out in full just because it was close?

Again, it's possible a sport class could be dominated by a purpose built car, but I don't see that being an issue because of payout. If it ever becomes an issue, a set limit will immediately be added.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great Cliff!! Keep it up! IFO FTW!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds great.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
w/ full interior, full exhaust, and tags/registration? i seriously doubt it.....

i could see a couple well built k or h2b's possibly going mid 11's in this trim, but not low 11's
not sure about registration but thats easy to get and yes they have full interior well its a crx
Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good to me. You are the man Cliff!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to the Nov 8th IFO in Ennis. I have a CRX with a B18CR on slicks that should run 13.40-13.60 in the good East Texas air. When I went to the BOTI event in June that was in Ennis there was 13 second cars racing 9 second cars heads up.

I dont mind bracket racing, there is no point lining up with a car that is a second faster heads up.

Quick Reply: NEW DRAG CLASS STRUCTURE FOR 2010 IMPORT FACE-OFF SERIES?