Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
SQ77
New User
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default 96 Accord Master Cylinder

I have a 1996 Honda Accord Ex with about 140,000 miles on it. Lately, the brakes have started losing pressure, as I'm stopping and when sitting at lights. I've only noticed it in the afternoons or when it's hot out. I just checked my brake fluid level and it is fine. A local reputable mechanic quoted me around $600 to replace the master cylinder. Does this sound reasonable?
SQ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
RobRussell
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: 96 Accord Master Cylinder

I had the same problem last month. I have a guy who has his own garage and repairs cars for a living. I know that he only payed about 90 dollars for the part, if that. So 600$ sounds really unreasonable to me. The part online, Brake Master Cylinder, is less than 100$.
RobRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

The part brand new from Honda, is $150 picked up at my dealership and it took me, with no prior knowledge of how to remove it 20 minutes to remove and install the replacement.

I would recommend getting a new OEM.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Targa250R
be professional
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ77 View Post
I have a 1996 Honda Accord Ex with about 140,000 miles on it. Lately, the brakes have started losing pressure, as I'm stopping and when sitting at lights. I've only noticed it in the afternoons or when it's hot out. I just checked my brake fluid level and it is fine. A local reputable mechanic quoted me around $600 to replace the master cylinder. Does this sound reasonable?
It's definitely the master cylinder, but $600 is incredibly unreasonable. Even a high labor rate Honda dealership would likely do it for $300 or less. You can pick up a remanufactured master cylinder for well under $100 at a local parts store and do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined and have a buddy handy to help bleed the system.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
bdmlilburn
Honda-Tech Member
1990 Chevrolet C/K 3500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
The part brand new from Honda, is $150 picked up at my dealership and it took me, with no prior knowledge of how to remove it 20 minutes to remove and install the replacement.

I would recommend getting a new OEM.
wouldn't a master cylinder from a local auto parts store be pretty good?

96 accord ex master cylinder for my area is under 100 bucks at autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...temId=cat30105
bdmlilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
TheMuffinMan
He knows where you live!
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmlilburn View Post
wouldn't a master cylinder from a local auto parts store be pretty good?

96 accord ex master cylinder for my area is under 100 bucks at autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...temId=cat30105

Eh, the rebuilt ones have a tendency to fail. One I originally got was a rebuilt one and was damaged on the exterior.

The off brands I'm sure you could get but only $40 gets you a brand new OEM one. I feel a lot safer with it.
I think TheMuffinMan is Chuck Norris. Seriously, you can't find the TheMuffinMan,TheMuffinMan finds you.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
1996, 93, 96, accord, brake, car, cilyder, cost, cylinder, honda, hot, install, master, replace, replacement, replacing, sylnder