Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Will H.I.D's fit on my projector headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will H.I.D's fit on my projector headlights?

i LOVE the look of h.i.d's in projector housings, they look eveen better! Buying a set of projector headlights, I was dissapointed to see a stciker which says
"H.I.D NOT ALLOWED" Why is is this? I have heard of some guys still using H.I.D's in thier civic projector housings.

can anyone give me some advice?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Will H.I.D's fit on my projector headlights? (Rayz_Si)

Many of the "cheaper" Civic projectors out there won't mate well with HID's because they get too hot. They will melt and warp.

I have heard of people who have had no problems, and I have heard of people with horror stories. Perhaps do a search on your particular brand of Civic projectors?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will H.I.D's fit on my projector headlights? (Rayz_Si)

They will fit but it is illegal to retro HID into another headlight that didn't originally come with HID.

But who cares??? With all the other illegal things we do to our cars, whats one more?

Its not like they would be able to tell anyway, your just swapping one projector for a better one basically.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM

I think it's due to the projector that comes with these headlights. they're not designed for hid's and will screw up the light pattern.

I don't think they'll get hot enough to melt the plastic, but I'll be finding out as I'm in the process of retroing some 3-series projectors into some projector headlights on my 99 coupe.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gftgrill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gftgrill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's due to the projector that comes with these headlights. they're not designed for hid's and will screw up the light pattern.

I don't think they'll get hot enough to melt the plastic, but I'll be finding out as I'm in the process of retroing some 3-series projectors into some projector headlights on my 99 coupe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is closer to the mark. Most of the after-market Civic projectors utilize an H3 bulb. The H3 bulb has a horizontal filament, while the arc on HID capsules is positioned vertically. As a result, using re-based HID capsules in these projectors normally leads to a poor beam pattern, and I would recommend against it.

Your plan of retrofitting the BMW HID projectors into your Civic's projector housings is an excellent idea, and probably the best option.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

Alright thanks alot for the help guys!! i have made the smart decision TO NOT INSTALL HID'S INTO AFTERMARKET PROJECTORS! i AM OPTING FOR CTR HEADLIGHTS, AND H4 HID CONVERSION!! Viola!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rayz_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright thanks alot for the help guys!! i have made the smart decision TO NOT INSTALL HID'S INTO AFTERMARKET PROJECTORS! i AM OPTING FOR CTR HEADLIGHTS, AND H4 HID CONVERSION!! Viola!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is actually a poorer idea, in terms of lighting output and quality. If you are set on having HID lighting, your best option would be to purchase after-market projector housings and retrofit an OEM HID projector setup into them.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rayz_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i AM OPTING FOR CTR HEADLIGHTS, AND H4 HID CONVERSION!! Viola!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your better off sticking a PnP kit w/ casper shields into you stock housings than using the ctr housings
Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rev2Eight_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rev2Eight_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your better off sticking a PnP kit w/ casper shields into you stock housings than using the ctr housings </TD></TR></TABLE>

TRUE TRUE TRUE

Luckily, my aftermarket (fake) CTR headlight housings came with light diffusers !!
ALOT of CTR headlights out there come with no Diffusers!!! Glare Heaven~! LOL
I got mines off Ebay.

Luckily, my PNP HID kit came with casper shields!!!! Whoooohoooo!! also from EBAY. Silly me, i thought casper shields, blcok the light, WRONG I learned what was good for me and im' happy my bulbs came with the glare shields.

Here's a pic of setup!!!