Notices

Welding SS Vband flange to Garrett Turbo housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welding SS Vband flange to Garrett Turbo housing

Hey guys, I am in the final stages of finishing my turbo build and all I really have to do now is get some welding done. I am looking for some info on how to weld a stainless steel 3" V-Band flange to my exhaust housing on a T3 Garrett turbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am unsure on what the housing is even made of material wise.

I've seen it done before but in this case a picture is not worth a thousand words, thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Welding SS Vband flange to Garrett Turbo housing

Pre-heat the housing and then weld.Let the housing cool slowly after welding.

I welded a stainless V-band onto my cast GT42 housing with mild steel rod and had no issues.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you are susposed to use all the same types of metal because of different expansion rates. Ie stainless use stainless rods
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nickel rod is the best, if not, 321 is ok
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the photo collage, its the only pic i had of it. This is on one of my buddies lil drift mobile's. Hes been runnin it hard for over a year without any issues.

IMO, people make too much of a fuss over cast to x material. This is to a stainless vband, used 309 rod. Welded great, and has held up well. Much better than dealing with an adapter. This is with no preheat. I was just very heat conscious, cleaned as meticulous as possible, and moved around alot tryin to keep the heat even. I can see it making a difference on a very low quality casting. But most turbine housings are really high quality pieces in comparison to other cast i've welded.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by abs0Lut
Hey guys, I am in the final stages of finishing my turbo build and all I really have to do now is get some welding done. I am looking for some info on how to weld a stainless steel 3" V-Band flange to my exhaust housing on a T3 Garrett turbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am unsure on what the housing is even made of material wise.

I've seen it done before but in this case a picture is not worth a thousand words, thanks in advance.
cast iron or steel can be welded with stainless steel using stainless steel sticks at a MMA welder. I have done this meny time (in order to repair cast iron exhaust manifolds...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by TannerS14

Sorry for the photo collage, its the only pic i had of it. This is on one of my buddies lil drift mobile's. Hes been runnin it hard for over a year without any issues.

IMO, people make too much of a fuss over cast to x material. This is to a stainless vband, used 309 rod. Welded great, and has held up well. Much better than dealing with an adapter. This is with no preheat. I was just very heat conscious, cleaned as meticulous as possible, and moved around alot tryin to keep the heat even. I can see it making a difference on a very low quality casting. But most turbine housings are really high quality pieces in comparison to other cast i've welded.
I agree with this advice.. and the welding isn't bad either. I would bet the root pass is better than some of the top names in automotive stuff. You ever walk the cup?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot man, i havent actually got a chance to really practice walking the cup. Im going to be building a lot of tables soon and i definately want to try it on some structural stuff. Typically i go as hot and fast as i can manage, but on structural pieces im sure theres benifit in having a larger weld profile. Would you reccomend starting actually walking the cup or a free-hand weave?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TannerS14

x2.

I've welded a 4" stainless v-band to an old Holset H1E that I cleaned up in the same manner . . . works great.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people are overwhelmed by the word cast iron when more of what we use is cast steel. Not directly falling into the sole category of cast iron