Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Towing my S2000 behind my Motorcoach

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing my S2000 behind my Motorcoach

Again, very much appreciate the response...unfortunately, my January travel plan to southern climes with the Honda in tow is challenged by CW telling me that there’s a 3 month backlog of orders...I was there when they called Roadmaster...I may still call Roadmaster to see if they have alternative ideas...I’ve seen a couple of used Roadmaster dollys that I will explore when I get my MH back from the warranty repairs...they’ve had the MH for ages...really appreciate the input...thanks a bunch...ciao!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by harmsy
Again, very much appreciate the response...unfortunately, my January travel plan to southern climes with the Honda in tow is challenged by CW telling me that there’s a 3 month backlog of orders...I was there when they called Roadmaster...I may still call Roadmaster to see if they have alternative ideas...I’ve seen a couple of used Roadmaster dollys that I will explore when I get my MH back from the warranty repairs...they’ve had the MH for ages...really appreciate the input...thanks a bunch...ciao!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Harmsy,

Go for it. I really envy you. That trip towing the S2K all over the country was the best thing my wife and I have ever done. We really had a 4+ month blast.
As much as I hate to say it, after 8 additional great years driving my S2K beyond the trip described, I finally had to sell it (My wife wanted a new Genesis G80 Sport, if you can imagine that scenario).
I don't know why Roadmaster can't get you a towbar. After selling the motorcoach in 2012, I managed to sell my towbar, except for the two plates that actually bolt onto the S2000 inside the grill shell. The buyer didn't have an S2000, so he couldn't use the two plates. They are still in my garage, and you are welcome to them if they will help you, and if you are willing to pay the shipping charges. (They aren’t real light). That should make finding a used towbar a little easier. My advice is to get a towbar, not a dolly. Dolly's are nice, but when you get to a campsite, you still have to get the S2K off the dolly, and park it, so you will be limited to longer campsites. With the towbar, it's just unhook, fold it up to the coach, and take off in the car.

Whether you go with the towbar or a dolly, I wish you the best on your trip. I'm getting a little too old for another trip like that, and I really do wish I still had my S2K to zip around in, but I couldn't manage having 3 cars at the same time, living in our condo with only a 2 car garage and a short driveway.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Towing my S2000 behind my Motorcoach

Originally Posted by FinallygotmyS2K
Harmsy,

"The buyer didn't have an S2000, so he couldn't use the two plates. They are still in my garage, and you are welcome to them if they will help you, and if you are willing to pay the shipping charges. "
You mean you took them off your S2K? Did you take them off or did you have it done? I installed mine and I can't imagine going through that again to remove them. Anyway, just wondering how you managed that. Sorry you sold it. Sometimes I think I should sell mine but then I get my head examined and change my mind
Old 11-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rickford, ha, you're scaring me with the challenging fitting commentary......I have PM'd FinallygotmyS2K as he has offered me the S2000 plates...I and my 2004 S2000 are ready for the challenge...I'm with you about the loss of the S2000...I couldn't bear to lose it...I have been fortunate to have owned an older F-TYPE R for just over a year and that has to go...I don't have the space for both in my condo 2 car garage...wife would never park her car outside!...
While I have both of you in 'court', only when convenient to you, please could you let me know a little bit more of your stories particularly on the type of towbar you used and how you handled the rear lighting...I see a few Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bars on Craigslist...these could be appropriate?...what about lighting?...my motorhome rear lights are quite high up so maybe I don't need them?...I envision very little night time driving...
It's good to know you experienced guys are out there...I ma quite anxious about this whole upcoming experience...cheers Ian (Harmsy)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Ian,
Not trying to scare you about the install it's just that I don't know your level of mechanical ability and tools. Basic Metric socket set and screwdrivers but for some of the bolts you should use a 1/2 drive. If you have the $$$ I'd have it done. Looked through 2500 photo's and can't find the ones I took during the job. You will definitely need the roadmaster instructions. Watch 3 or 4 Youtubes on "S2000 front bumper removal" It's not rocket science. What the vid's don't show is the next step which is to remove that metal bar you see in the video's. (That is actually the front bumper, the first part is the cover") If you get that far and have the instructions and ALL the parts meaning the correct spacers, bolts, washers and frame supports, you're good to go. I'll give you my phone # if you want to talk. Next is the stop lights. I didn't want to cut any of my wiring so I opted for the Roadmaster Magnetic lite set, easy peasy! But as you mentioned your Coach lights are high enough to be seen, so are mine. So I don't use the RM lights unless I'm going to cross country, then I would put them on anyway! (Don't scratch the paint with the magnets. They give you protectors but just take care) My S2K is stored for the winter and I don't have access to it or i'd take a bunch of photos to help you out. Sorry! I have two photos I found of it hooked up behind my MoHo and one close up of the "system" with the cross bar in place which attaches to the tow bar. It will look complicated at first but it's not at all. What you can't see are the two "tubes" that all the stuff attaches to. Don't be intimidated by the photo. By the way the Falcon 2 is great! That's what I have. I have all the instructions and will be glad to photo and txt them if you want. Please feel free to call if you like. 586-873-2018 What area code are you in so I know if you decide to call... Over and Out!!!

Well Damn, the photos I wanted to up load will not work. Says "File type unsupported

" Sorry!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fantastic note thank you...great picture of your red S2000!…bike rack on the back too?...amazing!...the front of your Honda looks like a young kid wearing braces 😁....I have not heard from ‘Finally’ as yet but I am hopeful that I get his S2000 plates that he offered to me...I’m a retired but reluctant auto technician...I’ve been out of it for years but can do all that will be necessary...😩...I was lucky enough to fall at Roadmaster’s feet and score a ‘new’ dolly!...pick it up on Wednesday...I looked at quite a few used ones but they were nasty...the dolly will tide me over until I get the brace plates and tow bar...really good news about Falcon 2 as they are the most common used ones for sale...
Again, thanks for the caring, it’s very much appreciated...if I call you it will be from a GA # but we now live in OR!...😂...area code 678...I’ll give you a texted heads up if call you...cheers for now!, Ian
Old 11-25-2020, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okeydokey! You'll Definitely need the roadmaster instructions! Also, they might put together a brand new plate kit?, but that might be a little much to ask. The two bars that go inside the tubes that are inside the grill got ripped off. (Very looong story) I called RM and cried they made me new ones. Very nice folks! BTW you can get a hitch for your S2K too, look it up. Another PIA install but after it's done it looks very cool. All you see is the receiver with a nice chrome insert that's flush with the rear cover, doesn't stick out at all. Ok Good luck, hope it all works out! Rick
PS, mine's an 07.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks...got the dolly today and it is fussy...I hope I score those plates from ‘Finally’ as I will definitely install them....I can probably selll the dolly for almost as much as I paid for it....here’s my 04 ready for this weekends trip....👍

Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well at least you got to bring her along!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Harmsy,
I'm looking at towing my 2003 S2000 with the same setup as you and wonder if you can update your experience pulling the Honda on a dolly. I've read the threads regarding good 4-down towing experiences with S2Ks but haven't seen anybody report on 2-wheel dolly results, yet. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be the same except for the angle of incline and the effect this will have on different horizontal fluid levels in the transmission & differential.

Also, with my EZ Tow dolly, I have to leave the key in the "on" position to release the steering wheel and then pull the battery connector do disable the 12V. This is necessary to allow the front wheels to pivot with the dolly when turning. Do you have to this with your dolly, too? I was hoping there would be an easy way to leave the key on and not drain the battery but I haven't found one.

Thanks for your story,
Joe
Old 01-16-2021, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Joe, so far so good, maybe just short of 2000 miles driving from Portland OR thru to south of Tucson AZ in over 8 days or so with no issues at all…we invested in a new Roadmaster that has a pivot so it does not use the turning wheels on the Honda…I have found on occasion when the straps loosen a tad that the steering wheel is locked at 12:30 (not 9:15 as I would have expected) with the key out (a bit confusing)…

Sorry, I don’t know why the key has to be in (but only at position 1 though) for the s/lock not to work…the battery drain can’t be too much with the ignition off and in the 1 position can it?…but if you need the lock disabling there will be a wire ‘cut’ that should do that …(Honda Forum search may have an answer)…

I looked at the EZ dolly as I liked the way it stood up…but the Roadmaster has bigger wheels and is built well too…it does have all the answers…I have not commissioned the dolly brake…all states require brakes on dollies over 3000lbs and as the Honda is 2800lbs it is just not an issue…also, I did not get mag lights either…having seen so many delinquent trailers and dolly’s on our journey I figured the extra 6 foot exposed past the excellent dolly lighting would be forgiven…😊

Keep us all in the loop of your experiences and findings….Ian (Harmsy)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Great info guys .
Something I would like to add... I read in another post on another forum about transmission oilling problems under tow..., however thats not an issue on the S2000. The way the 6spd is set up in an S2000; the secondary Shaft (the output shaft that's connected to the drive shaft) runs an oil pump inside that transmission, so that transmission is always well lubricated while it's travelling down the road, whenever the rear wheels are turning so that's good news as well. This, says Honda, is a trick they learned from racing cars.
Happy motoring.
That's a cool way to travel, and a great light car to tow!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Towing my S2000 behind my Motorcoach

Just a quick note regarding the key in position 1. The first "click" releases the front wheels from the locked position. This does not cause battery drain as there is no electrical turned on. I have flat towed my 07 S2K from Michigan to California like that and had no problem with battery drain. I did use mag lights for stop lights powered by my coach because of the distance and so many States to cross.

By the way, don't forget to release the parking brake before you start out. I forgot one time and after a mile or so I remembered and damn near burned up the pk brake. It smelled bad for a while but seemed to cause no lasting harm. It still works fine as it did before. Just thought I'd add that! Cheers and have fun.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ian - I've had several problems with the EZ tow in 2 years. The brake calipers have both seized, one tail light broke internally, and the tires were shot at 7k miles. Things I don't like: 1) having to crawl under it on my back to connect the safety chains, 2) check the tire straps for tightness after a few miles, 3) and deal with dolly storage at campsites. I'm putting the Roadmaster base plates on the S2K soon but still have one more trip with the EZ tow before the conversion to 4 down. Not that I would ever do anything illegal, but disabling the brakes with a light load is an interesting idea.

Davey - good news about the transmission. I hadn't seen that yet. Another S2K towing stress-relief factoid.

Rickford - I hadn't tried turning the steering wheel in the first key position; I just assumed that it would be like my Escape and need the battery disconnected. I did look into disabling the lock but only found references of disassembly to remove the mechanical lock for compliance with racing rules. Today I confirmed that the first key position releases the wheel in my 2003 but it doesn't turn on the main system power, although aux power (radio) is enabled. I won't have to disconnect the battery after all. Thanks for that info and I'll watch out for the parking brake, too!

Well, thanks for all the responses. This is certainly a knowledgeable, sharing group.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good news all around...Position 1 and the gearbox oiling from the gearbox output shaft...I'm jealous of the base plate fix...keep us in the loop of progress, good bad or ugly...I was hoping to score the base plates from 'FinallygotmyS2K'...it would be neat to unlatch the car in seconds versus the fussy tie down etc...but I'm getting slick taking no more than 5 or so minutes to attach and release the S2000.
Happy travels!
Old 08-25-2023, 10:23 AM
Trial User

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to flat tow my 2003 s2000. Neither Blue Ox or Roadmaster make adapter plates anymore. The Blue Ox plate is still on Amazon, but they actually didn't have it and couldn't get it. I called Blue Ox, he said they only made and sold one, then discontinued it. I called Roadmaster. They were very helpful, but said that they destroyed the jigs and can't make the adapter anymore. He did send me the installation instructions and said I could probably have one fabricated.

Last edited by tech8; 08-28-2023 at 09:35 AM. Reason: This is not the marketplace/classifieds.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srbrantley
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to flat tow my 2003 s2000. Neither Blue Ox or Roadmaster make adapter plates anymore. The Blue Ox plate is still on Amazon, but they actually didn't have it and couldn't get it. I called Blue Ox, he said they only made and sold one, then discontinued it. I called Roadmaster. They were very helpful, but said that they destroyed the jigs and can't make the adapter anymore. He did send me the installation instructions and said I could probably have one fabricated.
Any chance any of you S2000 owners have one of the few adapter plates that were build and want to get rid of it?
Only managed with the RV for 15 months and 13000 miles…my dear wifey was not overly comfortable with the arrangement for long term…I had a RoadMaster dolly that was pretty slick and the Sprinter pulled the S2000 with ease…I loved it…so alas, no plates obtained or utilized but if push comes to shove, a dolly works well!…🏎️🏎️🏎️
Old 08-25-2023, 11:15 AM
Trial User

Anyone know how I can email Finallygotmys2k to see if he still has the adapter plates? I don't see an option to email him.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A Roadmaster dolly is simply a trailer that you drive up on with the

front wheels…you then use ballistic webbing to tie the front wheels down onto the dolly…very simple and effective…no surgery required.