Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Trial User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon2 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Looking for help, preferably videos and how to on replacing a timing chain on my 2005 Honda Accord. I have removed the old chain, but cannot get the new chain to mount onto all three sprockets. Per the Haynes manual, I removed the timing chain tensioner, guide, and upper guide. However, the tension created would not permit me to reinstall the the tensioner arm. How do I reinstall the new chain? Do I need to take a sprocket off? Is there a special tool needed? Currently using basic wratchet tools. If there is a video known or a manual much better than the haynes guide, I would appreciate any links. One other additional question, is there a diagram showing where each of the screw types goes back into the timing chain cover? Thanks for your assistance.

v/r
Targeteer2
Targeteer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeville, MN, USA
Posts: 771
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

You need to compress the tensioner, and keep it compressed until you have everything in place. There is like a key or a pin on the ones I've seen, not sure what it is on the 2.4 motor.
__________________
94 VTEC All Motor - RIP
03 V6-6spd HFP Coupe
94vtecmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maumee, OH
Posts: 7
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of needing to replace your timing chain? I thought chains were normally non-replacement type items, just belts that you need to change every 60-100k.
foshoopd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

I have to chime in here. I thought the timing chains in the Honda's would last the life of the car also. I own a 2004 Accord 4 cyl that jumped time and needed the chain replaced. It was under 100K miles and the $1,000 cost was covered by the dealer. My daughter has the same car with a check engine light code P0341 indicating cam and crank out of sync. Just has my mechanic verify that the cam chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. He recommends the cam chain, guides, oil pump chain, both tensors and both cam gears be replaced. Parts will run $500 plus my labor to install. From research on AllData, not a simple project. Very disappointed in the Honda timing chains.
zerngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 67
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerngl View Post
I have to chime in here. I thought the timing chains in the Honda's would last the life of the car also. I own a 2004 Accord 4 cyl that jumped time and needed the chain replaced. It was under 100K miles and the $1,000 cost was covered by the dealer. My daughter has the same car with a check engine light code P0341 indicating cam and crank out of sync. Just has my mechanic verify that the cam chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. He recommends the cam chain, guides, oil pump chain, both tensors and both cam gears be replaced. Parts will run $500 plus my labor to install. From research on AllData, not a simple project. Very disappointed in the Honda timing chains.

I would agree that the timing chain should last a lot longer. At least Honda covered the cost of your car timing chain replacement. There is no recommended service interval for the timing chain because they are typically last over 150K. The only time the chain has to be replaced is when it stretched and caused timing issues. You may want to contact the dealer to see if there is a recall on your model. I check the OEM part list and they are about $240 for the timing chain, the tensioner, tensioner arm, and chain guides. The water pump will run another $102. I don't think you need to replace the cam gears or the oil pump. If the parts alone is already $500, I would let the dealer do it. The V6 parts cost less (~$250) because of the timing belt and pulleys but labor cost runs it up to $1000 too. Consider the I4 engine is more compact, I would think it is easier to work on than the V6.

Last edited by Accordman1; 08-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Accordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
iTrader Rating: (0)
Icon2 Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Returning to Honda Timing Chain issues. My daughters car with the P0341 code and verified lose timing chain died. It jumped time and I was told the valves would probably need to be replaced. Took a chance and replaced the chain, tensioner and guides for around $250 and the car runs great. My car, that had a stretched chain at just uner 100k and was replaced by the dealer is now showing the P0341 code again at 155K miles. Called the dealer and all they had to say was that this was unusual and only happens in cars where the oil is not changed regularly. I change at around 4-5,000 miles. Research shows reported issues with the Honda cam chain tensioner on the 4 cylinder model of the Honda with the K series tensioner. The defect causes it to lose tension resulting in the cam chain slipage, jumping time and could result in extensive valve damage. This will be my last Honda. Very disappointed in Honda for not standing behind its product and paying to correct this defect.
zerngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 67
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshoopd View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of needing to replace your timing chain? I thought chains were normally non-replacement type items, just belts that you need to change every 60-100k.
Not true, timing chain is a replaceable part. Engines with timing chain will last much longer than timing belt and it does not break but it does stretch. When it stretches, the cam timing will be off and the sensor will detect it. At least, the timing chain will allow you to get home, timing belt break will let you stranded. Timing belt will break without any warning so manufacturers recommend servicer interval for it but not timing chain. Most high performance engines utilize timing chain rather than belt as it is more durable.

Last edited by Accordman1; 08-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Accordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
 
bigballer8526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 53
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman1 View Post
Not true, timing chain is a replaceable part. Engines with timing chain will last much longer than timing belt and it does not break but it does stretch. When it stretches, the cam timing will be off and the sensor will detect it. At least, the timing chain will allow you to get home, timing belt break will let you stranded. Timing belt will break without any warning so manufacturers recommend servicer interval for it but not timing chain. Most high performance engines utilize timing chain rather than belt as it is more durable.
Don't you have it the other way around. As in high perf cars utilize belts than chains.

Such as Ferraris use belts and evos etc. etc.
bigballer8526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

It all may be a combination of things. My 2005 Accord has 192K miles with the original chain. I had to change my belt on my '98 Prelude twice at 170K. Now that I have jinxed myself, I appreciate the cost estimates for parts!
Grandsport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerngl View Post
I have to chime in here. I thought the timing chains in the Honda's would last the life of the car also. I own a 2004 Accord 4 cyl that jumped time and needed the chain replaced. It was under 100K miles and the $1,000 cost was covered by the dealer. My daughter has the same car with a check engine light code P0341 indicating cam and crank out of sync. Just has my mechanic verify that the cam chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. He recommends the cam chain, guides, oil pump chain, both tensors and both cam gears be replaced. Parts will run $500 plus my labor to install. From research on AllData, not a simple project. Very disappointed in the Honda timing chains.
So, my 2005 Accord will crank, but not fire, and the dealer is saying $1500 to pull the motor apart to diagnose the issue. No codes, no mention of the green imobilzer light. I feel like he doesn't know and is chasing. Any suggestions? Oh, I have 192K miles on the original engine, and never had a major, no-start problem until now.
Grandsport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordman1 View Post
I would agree that the timing chain should last a lot longer. At least Honda covered the cost of your car timing chain replacement. There is no recommended service interval for the timing chain because they are typically last over 150K. The only time the chain has to be replaced is when it stretched and caused timing issues. You may want to contact the dealer to see if there is a recall on your model. I check the OEM part list and they are about $240 for the timing chain, the tensioner, tensioner arm, and chain guides. The water pump will run another $102. I don't think you need to replace the cam gears or the oil pump. If the parts alone is already $500, I would let the dealer do it. The V6 parts cost less (~$250) because of the timing belt and pulleys but labor cost runs it up to $1000 too. Consider the I4 engine is more compact, I would think it is easier to work on than the V6.
The dealer is asking for $1500 to tear into my 2005 Accord engine because it cranks but will not fire. How about that?
Grandsport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeville, MN, USA
Posts: 771
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

To get back on to the Timing Chain subject, what I find odd, is the Honda Service manual doesn't tell you how to replace the damn chain. Why would that be!!!???
__________________
94 VTEC All Motor - RIP
03 V6-6spd HFP Coupe
94vtecmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
 
BLKFLSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thibodaux, LA, USA
Posts: 3,661
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vtecmn View Post
To get back on to the Timing Chain subject, what I find odd, is the Honda Service manual doesn't tell you how to replace the damn chain. Why would that be!!!???
Sure it does. The manual calls it the "cam" chain, but it has the procedure. Starts on page 6-12 in my 03-05 service manual.
__________________
92 accord EX sedan : sold after 12 great years
03 accord EXV6 sedan: smooth as silk
BLKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lakeville, MN, USA
Posts: 771
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKFLSH View Post
Sure it does. The manual calls it the "cam" chain, but it has the procedure. Starts on page 6-12 in my 03-05 service manual.
Maybe that's why I didn't find it. Guess I better go back and look again.
__________________
94 VTEC All Motor - RIP
03 V6-6spd HFP Coupe
94vtecmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Trial User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerngl View Post
Returning to Honda Timing Chain issues. My daughters car with the P0341 code and verified lose timing chain died. It jumped time and I was told the valves would probably need to be replaced. Took a chance and replaced the chain, tensioner and guides for around $250 and the car runs great. My car, that had a stretched chain at just uner 100k and was replaced by the dealer is now showing the P0341 code again at 155K miles. Called the dealer and all they had to say was that this was unusual and only happens in cars where the oil is not changed regularly. I change at around 4-5,000 miles. Research shows reported issues with the Honda cam chain tensioner on the 4 cylinder model of the Honda with the K series tensioner. The defect causes it to lose tension resulting in the cam chain slipage, jumping time and could result in extensive valve damage. This will be my last Honda. Very disappointed in Honda for not standing behind its product and paying to correct this defect.

I'm french so i'm sorry about my english!! I had the same problem of you, on my accord 2005 2,4L. I change my head gasket, adjust my valve and the timing.. before I done everything my check engine was not 'ON' then after everything done P0341 showing... my engine run great and the idle is aproximately 750rpm. the only time my idle vary is when my a/c on... what do you do with your damn p0431??

sorry about my english hihi
nicked is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[How To] Replace the Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner on an EP3 Type R zeroprobe Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 6 10-13-2013 11:55 PM
Acura TSX timing chain tensioner issue anatoliyv Acura TSX 2 12-30-2012 06:51 PM
how to check timing tensioner? asnboi512 Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 3 06-17-2010 05:42 AM
Honda S2000 F20C Cam Chain Removal and Installation Master23 Honda S2000 1 06-22-2009 02:57 PM
k24a4 timing question sandbarr Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - Current) 3 03-29-2009 05:11 PM



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:59 AM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details