Wheel and Tire

steering wheel unstable at high speeds, tire wear issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel unstable at high speeds, tire wear issue?

hey guys, i had this problem whenever i go over 60mph or 80 on the freeway i can feel my steering wheel move to the left or right on it's own. I usually have to hold it down, sometimes when a road is uneven the car will usually pull to one side. Now i noticed that pretty much both my tires are worn on the inside, my passengers side is worn more than my driver's side. Basically, my passenger tire is almost the point of no threads on the inside. Car is lowered, no camber kit.

Could this be the problem why the car would be like that? oh yeah, my driver's side tire also has a lump on the sidewall. Just getting some feedback here before i get some new tires, hopefully it won't do it again.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: steering wheel unstable at high speeds, tire wear issue? (byronl)

I think it's more likely that you have a problem with your suspension, and that problem is causing the tire wear AND the wandering. For example, if the bushings on your tie rod or control arms or sway bar are shot, that can cause slop in the steering mechanism. This can cause your wheels to turn slightly as you drive down the road, even when holding the wheel in a constant position. That can result in the tires wearing exactly as you describe, as well as the vague steering feel. So have your car looked over thoroughly by a competent mechanic (and tell him about the steering wheel feel and uneven tire wear).

Oh, and I also recommend that you stop driving on that driver's side tire immediately, except to drive to the tire shop to get it replaced.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i just found the bubble, it's getting replaced asap. I do have busted lower control arm bushings, both sides, i'll get that replaced. Tie rods are about 4-5 months old, i'll have to inspect the sway bar bushings. So most likely the cause was because of the lca bushings?

I replaced the steering rack and pinion for a new one cause it was shot, it felt better but it still had a slight loose feeling in it compared to my friends integra and another friends prelude during turn ins. My friend drove my car and he said that when going high speeds, it feels like the front of the car is being lifted and more prone to understeering.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Night Owl

Default Re: steering wheel unstable at high speeds, tire wear issue? (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, i had this problem whenever i go over 60mph or 80 on the freeway i can feel my steering wheel move to the left or right on it's own. I usually have to hold it down, sometimes when a road is uneven the car will usually pull to one side. Now i noticed that pretty much both my tires are worn on the inside, my passengers side is worn more than my driver's side. Basically, my passenger tire is almost the point of no threads on the inside. Car is lowered, no camber kit.

Could this be the problem why the car would be like that? oh yeah, my driver's side tire also has a lump on the sidewall. Just getting some feedback here before i get some new tires, hopefully it won't do it again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Replace both your LCA's and get an alignment. You will need LCAs from a 92-95 Civic EX/SI. LCAs from a 92-95 Civic DX/CX/LX will not work.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So most likely the cause was because of the lca bushings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say so. (Ask me how I know. )

See how the steering feels after you take care of the control arms and the tires and, if necessary, the sway bar.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on how low your suspension is, a camber kit might be benificial to your tires. Also, your tires could be knocked out of balance...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (Gonzob16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gonzob16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, your tires could be knocked out of balance...</TD></TR></TABLE>

A tire out of balance would cause a vibration, which is not one of the symptoms he reports.

Besides, he's going to replace the tires anyway, so the new ones will be balanced.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A tire out of balance would cause a vibration, which is not one of the symptoms he reports.

Besides, he's going to replace the tires anyway, so the new ones will be balanced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

can feel my steering wheel move to the left or right on it's own

His exacts wordss, and even though it wasn't a direct statement, having a tire out of balance can cause the wheel to move left or right on it's own.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
ECX
* B A N N E D *

4 wheel alignment ftw.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:30 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gonzob16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can feel my steering wheel move to the left or right on it's own

His exacts wordss, and even though it wasn't a direct statement, having a tire out of balance can cause the wheel to move left or right on it's own. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not the same thing as a vibration. He didn't post anything about a vibration (which is a very rapid movement, multiple times a second).

I hope you're not working as a mechanic, or you'd be doing a lot of unnecessary work on people's cars (that still wouldn't fix their problems)...