Notices

Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder....

Snap-on MM140SL. If the following pic works than you will see it.

Ok so now that we have this welder can anyone tell me how good it is? Currently it has the basic setup, no alumaspool or tig attatchments as of yet. One of my questions is...is this welder worth buying the tig atatchment? Retails for $750 for the tig attatchments. We do not tig weld and have not yet but I am soon going to be trained by a local guy that does it for a living and does pretty amazing work. So if the welder will do tig well then i will get the stuff for it.

Keep it as a mig only?
Buy the tig stuff?
Buy the alumaspool kit?

I was wondering also why it says in the book that it can't tig aluminum but it can mig it? This may be a simple answer but I had to ask.

Thoughts, comments, help....if you can't tell I'm kind of lost, lol. I'm used to mig welding everything but aluminum but want to expand into tig and possibly aluminum. So what do you think?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder.... (80884)

You can't tig aluminum because it is DC only. If you want to do a lot of aluminum definetly get the spool gun or you will spend half of your life clearing out the jams in the mig line. I have the tig kit for that welder + a gas lens I can make you a deal on in about 2 months if you can wait. It works good on thicker stuff but the lowest setting is either 10 or 20 amps so any sheet metal is tricky to impossible.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder.... (356racing)

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. What would you say is the thinest gauge that could be tig'ed without many problems?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:19 PM

You can weld 14-16 gauge nicely with the tig attachment. It will do body panels all day long using the mig gun but the tig torch just vaporizes 20 gauge and up. Have fun with it!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder.... (356racing)

if your gonna buy used... let's say you get that used mig for 1200 then the tig attachments for 750 and then the spool gun for 600. that's 2550. you could get a good used miller mig and tig for that price or a little more. you could get a used 180sd for 1300 with bottle and a used millermatic 175 for 800 with bottle. that's still less and both have a higher max amperage so you can weld thicker metals. you also won't need the spool gun cause you'll have a tig to do aluminum. not sure how the tig set up works with the snap on but with the miller you'll have hf so you don't have to scratch start the arc. you'll also get an arc welder with the tig. ****, with the difference you could get a bigger mig. maybe a 210 or 251. anyone know how good these snap on welders are? i've never used one but i know some people that had snap on usually upgrade to a miller or lincoln. i prefer miller but that's just me. i got a 180sd and a millermatic 251 and i'm very happy with them.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions, info, help, comments on new welder.... (19civic93)

To be honest with you, I paid nothing for the welder. The guy that bought it was for a shop he is opening. The pic you see is from somewhere else. The welder he has is brand new, not sure what he paid for it but thats what he got and thats what i have access to. I had a lincoln sp175 plus mig and it was awsome (sold it tho), I have yet to use this snap on but the sp-175 plus had the 220 plug for power.
I'm not all that familiar with the snap-on welders either cuz they are usually way to much money (like most snap-on stuff).

It does suck about not being able to tig aluminum. but it isn't my money so i guess i have no say it what they let me use

ps - this guy has enough money to buy a robotic set up if he wanted to. Either way it looks like they should either sell it or just keep it a mig and pick up a better tig welder. I'll have to pass that along to them and see what they want to do.

So as far as a good tig for thin metal, thick metal, and alum what is recomended?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the syncrowave 200 just came out and i hear a lot of good things about it. the miller dynasty's and syncrowave's are good tigs. the one you want depends on how thick you wanna weld. they are all capable of welding thin. the 180sd is fine the the things i do with it. i don't weld much thick ss or aluminum so it's fine for me. anything thick i do is with steel and thats where my 251 comes in. it can weld 1/2" in a single pass. check out http://millerwelds.com/ or go to their forums http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/ lots of experienced guys on their forums.