Notices

Looking to Make some Extra $$$ Welding - Need some ideas from you guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Make some Extra $$$ Welding - Need some ideas from you guys!

Hey guys, I am looking to make some extra $$$ welding part time and was curious if any of you have any ideas on what type of services to offer or job types to go after that pay well. I have MIG, TIG and Plasma Cutting Capabilities. I know someone mentioned before that fixing dumpsters was a good source of income. I am curious to know what some of you have done besides automotive fabrication to make a living welding.

Thanks for looking guys!!

Josh
Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking to Make some Extra $$$ Welding - Need some ideas from you guys!

do you have your certs?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking to Make some Extra $$$ Welding - Need some ideas from you guys!

No but that has been coming up alot lately. I just picked it up in my spare time years ago and want to focus on it more in my life now..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumpster repairs? really?

i should look into that! i see so many busted dumpsters, i just wouldnt know who to call about that...
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

landscapeing trailers, fuel tanks & gear for crabbers, welding dies for the machine shop behind us, ladder racks, gates & interior work for local bars & resturants. thats some of the things i do on the side.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you live by the shore make some off these

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Haha, brilliant.

I was just going to make stuff related to cars and sell it on ebay when I got good enough. God knows if I'll ever make enough of a profit to pay off all of the gear, but getting my money back for practice materials can't be that bad.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM
OG Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9295EJ-t
dumpster repairs? really?

i should look into that! i see so many busted dumpsters, i just wouldnt know who to call about that...
most have a phone# on them somewhere... if they don't, go into the place where it is and ask them who they have the service with. simple really.

i've done all sorts of random stuff, but a lot of my work comes from the industrial side since i do general machining as well. most of the welding i do is car related, but if you look around for machine shops that don't have their own welding capabilities, that may turn into something for you.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Josh
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if anyone can make top fuel b to c pillar replica bars i paid you sum cash!!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put some ads up on Craigslist/newspapers or anywhere else you can think of. Get some business cards made up saying what you are a free lance welder for hire and stop by your local industrial areas. Leave some cards at the front desks or if you can talk to someone higher up even better. If you see a messed up dumpster or whatever leave a card and call back within a week.

Self promotion should be 60% of your work. The more money you put into marketing the more money you will end up making, that is if you do it right.