Notices

Best TIG welder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best TIG welder?

Whats the best TIG welder for under 2k? I'm looking at the Miller 180SD and the Maxstar 150 std.

What else should I consider? I just wanted a well all around tig.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (DamWutaDayM3)

The fella that does some welding for me that I sub out has a thermal dynamics 185. I have to admit it seems like an awsome machine for the money and the size is very small when compared to others I have seen. I welds very nice and has all digital type controls. Its a pretty advanced machine. There are some on ebay just like there are millers and lincolns and hobarts.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:39 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (KFMRC)

I paid $1500 for a used 350 syncrowave...with cart, cooler, torch and all...

Why buy new when it will only mean that you will lose tons of money?

I have had my machine for about a year, and 5 years from now I will probably still be able to get my money back.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (Engloid)

I just don't have the time to look for a good deal. Or buy a use one with a probelm and having to spend more time getting it fix. Unless in my luck while I'm looking for a new one I bump into a good deal.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Kpee an eye on the 180sd, but the next model coming out soon. the new one is supposed to include a pulser, which the old version does not include, or have the option avaliable anymore.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:54 AM

Miller 180SD. I have one, and could not be happier with it.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (patatron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patatron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Miller 180SD. I have one, and could not be happier with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
OG Fabricator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DamWutaDayM3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just don't have the time to look for a good deal. Or buy a use one with a probelm and having to spend more time getting it fix. Unless in my luck while I'm looking for a new one I bump into a good deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got more money than time?
You will lose about $500+ on these small machines, when you buy new and sell later down the road.

How much is your time worth?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 180SD is a great machine for the price. I would reccomend the synchrowave machine over the maxstar because it can do AC. Even if you don't do much aluminum, you never know when you may want to learn. Having the ability to do aluminum makes the machine a more powerful tool in general.

I just got a Dynasty 200DX. I got a good deal on it brand new from a company on eBay. The transaction was perfect. Check this company out, username on eBay 'weldingsuppliesatioc' Indiana Oxygen Supply

Evan
Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best TIG welder? (2kjettaguy)

I saw a miller synchrowave 250sd go for about $800. I would of bought it, but I'm really scared of getting it, and having it break in about 2 weeks. Then I would have to go buy another unit, and I would really be down some money. Buying used items over the internet it hard.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by own6volvos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kpee an eye on the 180sd, but the next model coming out soon. the new one is supposed to include a pulser, which the old version does not include, or have the option avaliable anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its about 50/50 right now, there still not for sure if the new one will have that pulser. But the older 180sd should go down a little in price when the new one comes out.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Best TIG welder?

Do you guys have Kempi welders over there in the U.S.? We have 240volt mains power in all houses in Australia. I have a Kempi Mastertig AC/DC1600, (160amp), with the computer pulse and memory panel. It's the best tool I've ever bought, we use it all the time and I reckon it's Friggin ace . They bought out a bigger 200amp model about a month after I bought mine but we do everything we need with the 1600. Not sure if they are cheap over there but its another brand people could look at. Here's some ally work I've done on my mastertig in the past.

Cheers MRD
Old 09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw a miller synchrowave 250sd go for about $800. I would of bought it, but I'm really scared of getting it, and having it break in about 2 weeks. Then I would have to go buy another unit, and I would really be down some money. Buying used items over the internet it hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But you have to remember that these are not toys. They're heavy duty, industrial machines.......they just don't typically have many problems at all. They're made to be used dvery day for 10-15 or more years.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But you have to remember that these are not toys. They're heavy duty, industrial machines.......they just don't typically have many problems at all. They're made to be used dvery day for 10-15 or more years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally understand, but you have to remember some people like to scam others. Your taking a risk buying used off the internet. Not saying I would never do it, but there are risk.

But after reading a story, where the guy bought a new miller machine and it was basically a lemon, and in the long run miller laughed at him, makes me think twice.

http://www.millermotorsports.c...=2863
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: Best TIG welder? (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I totally understand, but you have to remember some people like to scam others. Your taking a risk buying used off the internet. Not saying I would never do it, but there are risk.

But after reading a story, where the guy bought a new miller machine and it was basically a lemon, and in the long run miller laughed at him, makes me think twice.

http://www.millermotorsports.c...=2863</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but even buying a new one can be a risk if you look at it that way. The difference is that if you go to buy a new 180SD, you are 100% guaranteed of having a machine that will be worth $500 less when you go to sell it. With a used one, you have a full spectrum of possibilities in the end. You may get a good enough deal that you can sell it for profit, you may come out even after years of usage, you may get a good deal but have to buy new torches for it.... there's no end to the possibilities. I would have to bet that buying a lemon would likely be the least likely to happen (if you stick with Miller).

Also keep in mind that if you're going to buy a 180SD or another company's equivalent, that you're not really buying industrial quality equiment. In my opinion, these are lesser quality machines than the 250dx and higher up machines. I would trust a 5-10 year old sync 350 more than a new 180SD....which is why I spent $1500 on one.

Another issue may be that these smaller machines are usually bought by individuals. Many of them can't weld well or can't at all. I'd bet that the dealers hate servicing them because they never know if it's operator error or the machine. I'd bet that half or more service calls on them wind up being cases in which the machine works fine and the person using it just doesn't know what they're doing. With the more expensive machines, this will be less likely...not only that but I wouldn't be surprised if the service guys have more experience with the bigger machines, and are more capabe of troubleshooting them.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Ok is there any other places I can find a used welder besides ebay?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: (DamWutaDayM3)

Check your local craigslist.com listings. A great place for stuff!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this thread back up.

Can you run the bigger machines on a standard drier outlet type hook up or do you have to have a new service line ran to your house?

I'm looking thru the manual for the Miller 350 and it's saying it needs to be fused at 250 Amps on a 208V line. Isn't a normal drier line 30Amps and the typical house line a 100Amp service connection? Seems to me that you would have to have an industrial feed into the garage to even run one of these bigger machines.