Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

HELPPPPP!!! 97 honda civic. shaking while accelerating!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELPPPPP!!! 97 honda civic. shaking while accelerating!

I have a 97 honda civic that shakes while accelerating and turning right at high speeds. About a year ago i swapped the engine to a B20B low comp from JEI. I have an ls hydro trans on it. everything was smooth until one day when i was driving and i smacked second when it felt like something might have loosened or broke but not 100% posotive. ever since then it has been shaking and pulling to right whenever i accelerate and it seems to get worse as i go into higher RPMs but it dosnt always get worse in higher RPMs. sometimes it almost feels like it goes away all together. but it def isnt there when im in neutral. I took it a local auto mechanic shop and they said it needed an alignment and new tie rods so they fixed the tie rods and aligned it and its still there!! i took it back and they said it is most likley because my car is lowered and the axles are in a bind. but to me that dosnt make sense because i had the car lowered for almost a year before this shaking started. I checked the following components and they are working up to standards. All motor mounts are fine, brand new 2000 si axles but the one on the passenger side has the abs ring and the one on the driver side dosnt but i dont have abs so idk if that has anything to do with it, my struts are good but the rear struts are bad, springs are good and lower control arms good my tires are showing wire but i have brand new ones that im about to slap on but i dont see how that could be my problem since the shaking only happens when accelerating. the only questions i have are what could be causing this probelm??? and if my axles are binding then do i have the wrong axles? i was under the impression almost all b series axles will work with the exception of the itr axles. feel free to ask about any more details about my car i need this problem gone ASAP!

Last edited by jdmboy69; 04-24-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: needed more details
Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HELPPPPP!!! 97 honda civic. shaking while accelerating!

You most definitely have bad axle, the 2000 si are fine as are dc2, regardless of lowering. I bet any amount that these "new" axles are aftermarket China specials. Pretty it or miss but definitely look there for your problem.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
You most definitely have bad axle, the 2000 si are fine as are dc2, regardless of lowering. I bet any amount that these "new" axles are aftermarket China specials. Pretty it or miss but definitely look there for your problem.
I replaced the passenger side axles stwice during this shaking time spand.. You think it could be my driver side?? Even though it pulls to the right? There is a lot of wear on my driver side tire but only on the inside. It looks like camber wear but I'm not cambered at all
Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bad wheel bearings can cause the same issue of shaking, especially during acceleration. I personally have never had one cause the car to pull to one side in a Honda though. Is your axle stub where the nut is discolored or even the hub?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Bad wheel bearings can cause the same issue of shaking, especially during acceleration. I personally have never had one cause the car to pull to one side in a Honda though. Is your axle stub where the nut is discolored or even the hub?
Nope the color is fine and there isn't much noise coming from the bearings either
Old 04-25-2015, 09:09 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Having noise or not doesn't mean anything. More times than not there is absolutely no noise at all, but if there is noise your bearings are BEYOND bad. Same goes for discoloration, the only reason I asked is because you said it's pulling to one side. The tires could be bad though from previous issues. Flat spot, cupped, chopped, etc... could all cause some of the symptoms you describe. How do they feel when you run your hands over them?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
Having noise or not doesn't mean anything. More times than not there is absolutely no noise at all, but if there is noise your bearings are BEYOND bad. Same goes for discoloration, the only reason I asked is because you said it's pulling to one side. The tires could be bad though from previous issues. Flat spot, cupped, chopped, etc... could all cause some of the symptoms you describe. How do they feel when you run your hands over them?
Their definitely bad lol the driver side is now showing wire on the inside but they wer fine before the shaking started I have brand new tires that I'm about to put on Monday but i just wanna add that about a month ago the shaking was so violent that it cracked my transmission casing I have a new casing in it now but just wanna see if those details help at all