Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

clutch problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem!!

hey everyone, new to the forum here
First off i just want to say I've been looking up information on this forum and you guys are a big help.

im running into a clutch problem right now. I have a rsx type s tranny k24/k20 build. Im running a competition clutch stage 4 1620 strip series.

Couple weeks ago I started to experience clutch engagement when pedal was 1/2 inch off the ground. Eventually, the clutch stayed engaged even when the pedal was on the ground. Gears go in perfect when engine off, but when engine is on car wont get into gear.

At that point I bled my system multiple times, i even replaced the master cylinder because I heard master cylinder can be bad with no leaks. I did not replace the slave cylinder because my friend (which was previous owner) recently replaced the slave before I got the car. The slave also has no signs of leaks.

I then proceeded to take off the tranny to see if maybe a spring broke in the clutch. I took off the tranny and found that the pilot bushing was out of the hole and hanging between the clutch nd flywheel when i took off the trany. Im not sure if the pilot bushing fell out and that was what caused the problem. But most likely the pilot fell out when i was wiggling the tranny out. Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel all looked fine.

So i replaced the pilot bushing with a new one. Also read up on improper clutch geometry post (http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...lutch+geometry) . I went ahead and added a washer just like the post said.

I put everything back together, started the car, went for a test drive, and everything was fine. Car was running great and transmission was shifting like butter. The next day i drove the car to work and back which was about 40 mile total. The following night i decided to take the car out, I started the car, let it warm up, was about to leave and noticed that the clutch problem is back. Clutch engages at about 1/2 inch off the ground. I Know eventually its going to started engaging even when it is on the ground.

Only thing i didnt change is the slave. Can it be the slave??? i hope so lol
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch problem!!

Did you ever fix this problem? I'm having a very similar problem.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: clutch problem!!

Just changed the slave yesterday. Re bled system. Still no good.
I am thinking its the pressure plate, ive heard a lot of people have bad pressure plates with no visual signs of damage

What symptoms are you having?