Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

B-Series Hydro case + LSD question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-Series Hydro case + LSD question

Are all b series hydro transmission cases interchangeable? My case is semi busted and was wondering If I could use an S80 case with my y21 gears and differential?

LSD question:

Are the CTR and y21 optional LSD the same? If so, I would assume I could use the ctr lsd with my y21 gearing since they share the same final drive.

Or can you tell me whether or not my case is okay. It appears those pieces that broke don't support anything but I think it might channel fluid. But then again i'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated

meth mouthed the stock non lsd diff
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B-Series Hydro case + LSD question

Yes all Hydro B-Series cases are interchangeable. The CTR will be a Gear-type LSD, same as the ITR and the factory LSD diffs found in the Y21 are a Viscous type. The ring gears have different bolt patterns. If you are gonna use the CTR Diff..you will need a matching countershaft and ring gear.

Those fins are used to channel fluid to lubricate the differential...If you have another case..I would use it.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a case in mind that someone is selling

As far as the LSD goes, It seems as though after a little bit of research that I definitely don't want a viscous type LSD for drag racing. Is there any type of OEM gear type diff that would drop in without having to find a countershaft for it. I'm thinking it would be a bitch and a half to find a ctr countershaft. But I see that I could use 94+gsr/itr and 99-00 si ring gear and counter shaft? I think at that point it would be kinda pointless and I might as well get an mfactory helical diff. Before I get ***** deep and order the wrong ****. Is MF-TRS-05B16 what I need? Thanks for your help James.

edit: Since the CTR diff already has a ring gear on it. If I got a 94+gsr/itr or 99-00 si countershaft, this could work with my y21 gears?

Last edited by SL0WEGG; 07-08-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a case as well

The Viscous LSD tends to break at the neck internally..I have a broken one from a customer on the bench right now. If you go with an M-Factory or Quaife unit...you cant go wrong. I also like the Wavetracs as well.

The GSR/TypeR have a different inner diameter ring gear vs. the 99 Si(B16 hydro trans) I usually like to use matched ring and pinions. Your gears will fit the countershaft in either set.

I have a case, ring and pinion, and an M-Factory LSD in stock. I got everything you need

Pm'd you some prices