Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off?

Has anyone ever seen or had a head warp from impacting off the head studs/bolts?

I've done it a few times and never screwed anything up, and I know of a mechanic that also does it. I understand the concept that releasing all of the bolt's tension at once in the one place can cause it to warp, but has anyone actually seen it happen?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (LudeyKrus)

I don't think you can acutally see this happen but it'll probably happen. There is a possibility that the cyliner head can warp, but the warpage won't be as extreme as an overheated cylinder head. So most likely you won't notice the warpage on the cylinder head but it'll be there.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen it happen when some guy at a local shop was taking each bolt off one by one and they werent coming out very nicely. usually when done right u can take the bolts by hand once everything has been relieved
Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (Fobtions)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fobtions &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen it happen when some guy at a local shop was taking each bolt off one by one and they werent coming out very nicely. usually when done right u can take the bolts by hand once everything has been relieved</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah once you break the torque of the Bolts you can finish unscrewing them by hand.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (Skunk2whore)

Always follow the pattern of removing the bolts. I would suggest to loosen them by hand first in the order thanyou can use a impact to remove them all the way.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:45 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (Rtype16)

no offense but i would never use an impact on the head bolts. i'm not that lazy.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM

I don't really see how it can warp the head.Even if you used a breaker bar to bust them loose,you can still only loosen one at a time.It's not like anybody untq's bolts in stages like when tightening.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't really see how it can warp the head.Even if you used a breaker bar to bust them loose,you can still only loosen one at a time.It's not like anybody untq's bolts in stages like when tightening.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I figured, yet I can see how the theory of it works. If it's theoretically possible to warp the head from impacting the bolts off, I was wondering if anyone had heard of it.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Warped Head From Impacting Head Bolts Off? (fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't really see how it can warp the head.Even if you used a breaker bar to bust them loose,you can still only loosen one at a time.It's not like anybody untq's bolts in stages like when tightening.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hah maybe not on a b series honda engine but MANY aluminum engines require multiple torque stages for headbolts.

and yes its very very easy to warp aliminum when doing something like removing a headbolt with an impact. just remember aluminum is a very soft metal and it only takes .004 (thats thousandths) of an inch to warp a head enough where you need to mill it.