Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tips for setting timing, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for setting timing, help!!!

Ive tried to set my timing about 6 times, and the car still doesnt seem to run right.. and everyone swears that its timing. I set the crank pulley white mark at the notch on the timing belt cover. Tensioner is loose. I put it over the intake cam then the exhaust cam. Tighten the tensioner, rotate counter clockwise about 5 times. but everything at TDC, slightly loosen the tensioner turn 3 teeth counter cw, then retighten.... When the motor starts, it dies instantly when i let off the gas. It wont start by itself. Sounds a tad bit rough but sitll runs when i hold open the throttle. The cam gears line up on the dot with each other. Im stumped. Then the cam gears are lined up, the crank pulley mark is only off by a 1/4"... i cant ever seem that to line up pefectly.. i doubt it will anyways.

How do you guys put on the timing belt? Exhaust cam first? basically, the tensioner part of it is kicking my *** because the belt doesnt seem as tight as it should be.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for setting timing, help!!! (1SlowSi)

bump
Old 08-25-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tips for setting timing, help!!! (1SlowSi)

ur tensioner spring may be worn out and causing it to sag...replace the spring and/or the whole tensioner pulley...this should solve ur problem...same crap happened to me when i installed cams in my b16..
and ur crank pulley has to be lined up perfectly to its mark... 0.25 inches is no joke...get that thing lined up and ur car shoud be running tip top
Old 08-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tips for setting timing, help!!! (Suck my DX)

The tenionser pulley and spring are like brand new. Only 3k miles. I dont see how in the hell that mark on the crank pulley goes dead on that notch. Ive tried 8 times. Cam gears line up, crank's of 1/4". damn this.