Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Is it Possible to bypass the Crank-Position-Sensor w/ the Crank-Fluctuation-Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (J. Davis)

Honestly, I don't even think the 1996 ECU would do it. I haven't actually looked at a 1996 Prelude VTEC engine, but all wiring diagrams that I have show that all OBD2 Accords and Preludes have the CKP and TDC sensors mounted behind the crank pulley. I took a look at the 1996 Prelude VTEC, and the wiring diagram and electronic component location diagram show both of these sensors behind the crank pulley:

Prelude Wiring
Prelude Engine

I am going to take my car over to the shop early next week to have it inspected. I'm going to explain everything to them as to why the ECU thinks there is a misfire.

I may end up giving up on the P5M ECU and creating an OBD2-OBD2 conversion harness so that I can run an OBD2 Integra or Civic ECU every year when it comes time for the inpection. I will, of course, take advantage of the CKF with CKP bypass if I go that route

Modified by fuhsm1 at 7:48 AM 6/2/2006
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fuhsm1)

Eh, it was something someone else told me; that an OBD1 (distributor) converted car ran with a 96 ECU. Maybe I misheard them and they did a quick CKP pin swap, and the '96 ECU was used because they don't have IMM.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:59 AM

I just compared the ECU pinouts from the 1998 Civic or Integra to the 1998 Prelude. As long as the Civic or Integra ECU is a M/T and is not the Civic HX model (with the VTEC-E), it would pretty much just plug and play.

The only thing that would need to be done is to install the bypass that was presented in this discussion (thanks Katman): Run the CKF sensor pin wire over to the CKP pin wire (make the C1 wire tee into the C2 wire), and the same for the CKF ground wire (make the C11 wire tee into the C12 wire).

Of course, there is the issue with making sure the A/F ratio is balanced, which I would have to see how it is when the Civic or Integra ECU is running the Prelude. This would likely just require a slight change in the fuel pressure, if anything at all. Whether or not the donor ECU runs VTEC really doesn't matter as far as OBD2 is concerned, but it would be nicer if it did. The rev limits are also different, but again, OBD2 doesn't try to destroy an engine.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ahh geez...whatta headache Prelude/Accords are...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, they are wierd cars. I went through this on Turbo Sam's old car, when it was sold to Bigjussin, and I had to make it run an OBD1 ECU.

IIRC, 96 year model still has 24 tooth CKP in distributor, and converting later Preludes to OBD1 (96?) style distributor that need to pass OBD2 emissions can be accomplished with 96 P13 ECU. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget to mention that 96 P13's are the rarest of the rare!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Katman)

wish i knew this info a while back.... would have saved swapping out the oil pump

Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

holy ****... talk about good timming...
just finished a B18A1 (92 itegra LS) into a 98 civic ex with the Y8...

it cranks but wont start, it has gas and spark although the spark is weak...
i checked the dizzy cap and it's cracked and it looks like the rotor made contact with the cap... i have a MSD A6 box with the external coil kit and the blaster 2 coil... this kit came off my Y8 motor and i was told the caps were the same, i now belive this to be false and will get the right MSD cap tomorrow...

could the fact that my car is obd2 and im using the obd1 motor also the ECU from the integra be another reason it wont start... this is the first time i have heard of this mod, do i need to do it when im running obd1...?

i also gutted a 99 civic Si intake minifold and put everything from it on to the stock integra intake manifold... everything pluged right up, another thing is my car was an auto and i just did the 5-speed conversion at the same time... i heard something about the IACV needing to be rewired but i cant find out anything else about it... sorry this is so long...

(edit) i just saw the post about changeing the three wire to a two wire system... problem is the throttle body from the 99-00 civic sI i used also has a three wire IACV, any idea of what the fix is... again, thank you
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4Door Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4Door Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">holy ****... talk about good timming...
just finished a B18A1 (92 itegra LS) into a 98 civic ex with the Y8...

it cranks but wont start, it has gas and spark although the spark is weak...
i checked the dizzy cap and it's cracked and it looks like the rotor made contact with the cap... i have a MSD A6 box with the external coil kit and the blaster 2 coil... this kit came off my Y8 motor and i was told the caps were the same, i now belive this to be false and will get the right MSD cap tomorrow...

could the fact that my car is obd2 and im using the obd1 motor also the ECU from the integra be another reason it wont start... this is the first time i have heard of this mod, do i need to do it when im running obd1...?

i also gutted a 99 civic Si intake minifold and put everything from it on to the stock integra intake manifold... everything pluged right up, another thing is my car was an auto and i just did the 5-speed conversion at the same time... i heard something about the IACV needing to be rewired but i cant find out anything else about it... sorry this is so long...

(edit) i just saw the post about changeing the three wire to a two wire system... problem is the throttle body from the 99-00 civic sI i used also has a three wire IACV, any idea of what the fix is... again, thank you</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, you don't have to do this mod if you're running an OBD1 ecu. Only needs to be done if you running a US OBD2 ecu with an engine that doesn't have a CKF sensor.

This can't be possible that you have a B-series TB with a 3-wire IACV, because there's no such thing as B-series throttlebody with an integrated IACV. B-series engine's have the IACV seperate from the TB and the IACV is normally located on the backside of the intake manifold as a seperate sensor.

Sounds like you're a bit confused on this and either have a 96-00 civic TB (which all have an integrated IACV on the botton portion of the TB) or you've confused the IACV with a different sensor on the TB, such as the MAP or TPS which are both 3-wire sensors. Btw, AUTO 96-00 EX's share the same type of TB that 96-00 CX/DX/LX engines use, which has an integrated IACV. The 5speed EX engine uses a B-series style TB with non-integrated IACV.

As for your car not starting, it can be a number of things: ground wires not properly mounted, incorrect wiring mods performed to Auto EX harness, etc...

but from experience, I've heard of issues like you're having related to reusing the Auto EX harness on a 5speed engine. I don't know why this happens, but I suggest you switch up to a 5spd EX engine harness because there's a number of things different on an auto EX harness that creates headaches. I don't know what all the differences are compared to a 5spd harness, but switching over to a 5spd EX harness usually fixes a number of issues like this one...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great way to fix the problem and I'm glad to hear its working for everyone else. But for some reason when I connect the two wires together my car wont start. It cranks and turns, but just dies right after. I'm 100% positive I did it right, I just don't know why its not working. Could it be becasue I have B16a2 with a OBD2a P72 ECU? I need some help on this, THANKS!

*Edit*
Car starts now, but I have a CEL code 9 CYP - cylinder sensor. Am I doing something wrong or is there something seriously wrong with my car?

*Edit #2*

Yeah it wont start. It started once, but after that...no dice

Modified by JDM_Bug at 5:36 PM 6/15/2006

Modified by JDM_Bug at 6:48 PM 6/15/2006
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Bug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sounds like you're a bit confused on this and either have a 96-00 civic TB (which all have an integrated IACV on the botton portion of the TB) or you've confused the IACV with a different sensor on the TB, such as the MAP or TPS which are both 3-wire sensors. Btw, AUTO 96-00 EX's share the same type of TB that 96-00 CX/DX/LX engines use, which has an integrated IACV. The 5speed EX engine uses a B-series style TB with non-integrated IACV.

As for your car not starting, it can be a number of things: ground wires not properly mounted, incorrect wiring mods performed to Auto EX harness, etc...

but from experience, I've heard of issues like you're having related to reusing the Auto EX harness on a 5speed engine. I don't know why this happens, but I suggest you switch up to a 5spd EX engine harness because there's a number of things different on an auto EX harness that creates headaches. I don't know what all the differences are compared to a 5spd harness, but switching over to a 5spd EX harness usually fixes a number of issues like this one...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the throttle body im using, in fact everything im useing on the stock B18A1 intake manifold came off a 99-00 Si... your prolly right, honestly, im not sure which part is the IACV, i know the map sensor is on top of the TB and the TPS is on the opposite side of the TB linkange, both have three wires... on the back of the mani there is something with a solinoid attached to it, it only has two wires... i dont see a plug with the orange wire im hearing about...
so yeah, im a lil lost as to were the IACV is as well as what it looks like lol... i relise i prolly sound like a noob and really i am, its my first swap, and my first time to really dig into a civic... i know all about suspention and sterio and the other BS but i lack the specifics of wireing schematics and pin outs and all the real tech stuff that goes with it... i however want to learn as much as i can but over a period of time so as not to rush into things and make rash decisions on critical.... sorry, i was on a roll there lol, had to stop myself... any way, this is were im at at this point... BTW, i have a broken dizzy cap and will replace it tommorow along with the rotor... im sure this is not helping things... thank you, Brian
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4Door Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the throttle body im using, in fact everything im useing on the stock B18A1 intake manifold came off a 99-00 Si... your prolly right, honestly, im not sure which part is the IACV, i know the map sensor is on top of the TB and the TPS is on the opposite side of the TB linkange, both have three wires... on the back of the mani there is something with a solinoid attached to it, it only has two wires... i dont see a plug with the orange wire im hearing about...

yeah, that sensor on the back of the intake manifold IS the IACV and is a B-series IACV at that, which is suppose to be 2-wired. As far as the 3-wire IACV plug w/orange wire, that should be on your civic harness if you have a 96-00 civic CX/DX/LX model. The plug should be a light grey color as seen in my diagram [URL=http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg]HERE[/URL and has the orange wire leading to it. If you don't have this 3-wire IACV plug, then your wire harness has been modified already to accept a 2-wire IACV.

so yeah, im a lil lost as to were the IACV is as well as what it looks like lol...
i relise i prolly sound like a noob and really i am, its my first swap, and my first time to really dig into a civic...

heh, I can see that and its understandable you want to learn!
here's what a 2-wire IACV looks like:

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you very much, your help is greatly appreciated... im going to take a closer look just to make i dont have the wrong plug, pluged into the IACV... again, it was an auto so i have a whole lot of wires that arent needed any more and i could very easyly plug in something that shouldnt be... or, best case cenerio, your right and it was allready modified at some point... thank you again very much for sheading some light on this for me... Brian

BTW: im going to check out the link you gave me...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI: the link you posted is not working... just thought i would let you know... thank's, Brian
Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you very much for your help, i made the repin today, i found the 3 wire plug i was missing and made it a two wire, the car runs pretty good with the exception of this... we had to hook up a temporary 12 sorce to the fuel pump... for some reason there no power there, i dont know if i have to do another repin because of the obd 2/1 harness or what the deal is... again, thank you, Brian
Old 06-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4Door Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you very much for your help, i made the repin today, i found the 3 wire plug i was missing and made it a two wire, the car runs pretty good with the exception of this... we had to hook up a temporary 12 sorce to the fuel pump... for some reason there no power there, i dont know if i have to do another repin because of the obd 2/1 harness or what the deal is... again, thank you, Brian</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh my bad, here's the link for the wire diagram, altho its probably irrelavant now:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...8.jpg

as for the fuel pump, that's weird it wasn't working correctly, my guess would be that the jumper harness might be faulty at the fuel pump pin location perhaps...
Old 06-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
as for the fuel pump, that's weird it wasn't working correctly, my guess would be that the jumper harness might be faulty at the fuel pump pin location perhaps...</TD></TR></TABLE>

is there a way to check this... maybe a pin out diagrahm for the obd2/1 harness its self...?

im going to start doing some searching, thank you... Brian
Old 06-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4Door Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is there a way to check this... maybe a pin out diagrahm for the obd2/1 harness its self...?

im going to start doing some searching, thank you... Brian </TD></TR></TABLE>

Check this:

OBD1 fuel pump pin A7 should be going to OBD2a pin location A16

you can look at my detailed wired diagrams here to cross compare each pin locations if you wish:

OBD1 | OBD2a

Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 PM

Ive got a 97 coupe w/h22a (obd1) and a p13 a12 (obd2 96 prelude). I was reading about the ckf and ckp on Katmans site and i just assumed i needed to do it. Unfortionatly i already preformed the scotch lock trick prior to reading this thread. Oddly enough it seemed to run a little better. So its C1 to C2 and C11 to C12??? Has anyone figured this out yet? Im going to go unhook my battery right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this:

OBD1 fuel pump pin A7 should be going to OBD2a pin location A16

you can look at my detailed wired diagrams here to cross compare each pin locations if you wish:

OBD1 | OBD2a

</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, again, thank you, this has helped me out greatly, im going to go with a P75 ecu and just have it reworked so the cat o2, knock sensor and the CKF sensor will either be removed or by passed at the ecu... my speedo is inop so i need a newer ecu for it to work... LOL ... thank you again, Brian
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM

back from the dead

Will this mod pass bar?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: bypass ckf with ckp? (2 0 3)

I got a B16A with P72 ECU on a 1996 Honda Civic EX and am getting a CEL. I checked and it came out with a crank shaft sensor problem but I don't see any sensor??? +
Error Code P-1337.
1996,ecu p-72, b16A grey plugs JDM
Has any one else had this problem???
Is there another way to fix W/O changing ECU?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

my problem:

car: 2000 ITR.
motor: JDM '98-spec ITR. OBD-II oil pump, sensor, and correct timing belt pulley.

started car and IMMEDIATELY got CEL 54. rather than replace the sensor, i decided to try to bypass it, for now (i'm po').

so, i do the bypass method for OBD-IIA (http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm, though i am SURE my car is OBD-IIB) because my wiring harness fits the OBD-IIA diagram.

anyway... after doing the jump, i now get a CEL 9 (CYP).

i saw, on the first page of this thread, that someone said they jumped C11 and C14, though he said he "didn't need to". would removing that jumper help?

has anyone else had this problem? one post says i should have cut some wires.. some say i don't. i'm confused. please help

Modified by kaj at 4:06 PM 2/11/2007

Modified by kaj at 4:07 PM 2/11/2007
Old 02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

up for the CEL 9...?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

so, nobody knows why CEL 9 would, all of a sudden, pop up?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:30 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

so, nobody can guess why you get a CEL 9 after doing this bypass??

Quick Reply: Is it Possible to bypass the Crank-Position-Sensor w/ the Crank-Fluctuation-Sensor?