Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Fuel Pump Not Priming

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Not Priming

So a month or so ago my car started to have problems where it wouldnt start right away cause the fuel pump wouldnt prime. It would work fine on cold days and on hot days i would have to sit and wait. So i thought it was my main relay. Well my car sat for a week without starting it and now it wont start ever. The CEL is on and i cant check the code cause the person who i bought the car from rigged all the wiring when he put a different dash in. I replaced the main relay with a brand new one and that didnt help at all. I still dont hear the fuel pump priming so what else could it be.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump Not Priming

bumpppp
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fuel pump itself! Yes it will work when it's cool...but when it heats up it, it will stop working! But now it sounds like it completly stopped! Change it out and it will be fine!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the key in the ignition for awhile. Sometimes mine takes a literal minute or two to prime.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you go and change a part yo may not need, do some testing, a multimeter would be handy but even a $2.99 12V test light will work.

I have to agree with 1fastvik, it may be the pump, test for power, [and ground] at the fuel pump connector, [MM&Y would help] if there is power there, pull the pump and replace it, if no power, make sure the PGM-FI Main Relay is getting both a 12V+ constant, [hot at all times] and a 12V+ ign., [hot in run and start], there should also be a 12V+ start, [hot in start only] but it has nothing to do with priming.

Question...
Can you hear/feel the PGM-FI Main Relay "click" when you turn on the ign.? 94
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i can hear my main relay click when i turn the car on to make sure that it does i unpluged it while the car was on and plugged it back in and i heard the click again so that should be in working order but i will try and test the fuel pump when i get a meter
Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked the main relay and its not getting the 12v ign power it just stays at 0 but i replaced the fuel pump to
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FOUR THINGS
1 ECU FUSE
2 ECU
3 MAIN RELAY
4 FUEL PUMP
Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's noy my ecu fuse main relay or pump cause my fuse is fine and I just replaced the main relay and fuel pump
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ecu it self or ignition switch
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The 12V+ ign. power is what turns on the injector relay, without it the fuel pump relay can not turn on unless ign. key is in start position, [3rd power to relay].

Unplug the relay and test for the 3 powers..

Hot at all times.
Hot in run and start.
Hot in start only.

A 12V test light is better for testing, it has a load, [resistance]. 94
Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k i checked it again and all of them are working now i must have tested something wrong before but im gonna get my friends ecu out of his car and see if thats the problem cause even with the brand new fuel pump in its not turning on at all i had my friend listen for it with his ear to the gas door
Old 12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

If as you say you can hear the PGM-FI Main Relay "click" when you turn on the ign., [as it should when all 3 fuses are good and the injector relay is good], then the problem is still either the PGM-FI Main Relay, [fuel pump relay or internal] or the ECU/ECM.

Easy enough to check, would have been the next thing I would have suggested anyway, remove the cover for the PGM-FI Main relay so you can see the two relays, watching the relays turn the ign. on, at least one of the relays will close, [injector relay] both of them may, the fuel pump relay turns on after the injector relay has turned on, it is so close it will sound like one "click".
If only one relay turns on, [injector relay] close the other relay by hand, [finger] and hold it closed.
If fuel pump is running the problem is most likely the ECU/ECM, it could also be wiring/connections between the ECU/ECM and the PGM-FI Main Relay.
To confirm this, with the ign. switch on, supply a ground to the fuel pump relays coil, [ECU/ECM lead] should be green/blue, green/yellow or green/black, if fuel pump turns on, supply a ground to that lead at the ECU/ECM, [make sure you have the correct lead] if fuel pump turns on, replace the ECU/ECM.

If you can see both relays close and the fuel pump did not turn on, problem is not the ECU/ECM, and because you say you replaced the fuel pump I would have to say it is a connection problem between the PGM-FI Main Relay and the fuel pump.
To confirm, check for power at both the fuel pump relays output, [probably yellow/green, but can be yellow/black or black/yellow either way it will be the same color at both the fuel pump plug and the PGM-FI Main Relay plug]and the fuel pump plug. 94
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i found out that it was my ECU itself it must have fried somehow when my car sat for a week cause i put my girlfriends ECU in and my car started right up but my original problem was probably my main relay from when the car wouldnt start right away thanks for all the help though guys