Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

engine squeak while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
stay underground!

Location: double clutchin' in a hood near you...it's crazy right?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine squeak while in drive

as stated above, my girlfriends 99 DX is completely stock with an aem cold air intake. since a month or so ago, the engine has been making wierd squeaking noises on and off, but is getting very annoying (it's not the whistling that the aem intakes do when air passes thru the filter, but this is more like a high pitch squeaking/squealing). the sound is not coming from inside the car, but most likely sounds like it's coming from under the hood. the squeaking tends to happen like crazy when in any of the drive gears (D1, D2, D3) ONLY, not when in park, reverse or neutral (yes, it's an automatic transmission). i can't figure out where the squeaking is coming from. the time belts seem fine, my guess is it's coming from her aem cold air intake.

what's really wierd is, i had the idea of her leaving the car in drive and holding down the brake, then while the noise is occuring, i'd pop the hood to see where it's coming from. now this is the unusual part, when she put the car in drive and held down the brake, it started to squeak continuosly again like a kettle on the stove when boiled, as i was just about to pop the hood and reveal where the sound was coming from the sound stopped!!! then, when i closed the hood it started up again. i repeated the steps and popped the hood latch, then the squeaking stopped again. now this is really wierd and i can't figure out what's going on... it's been happening on and off for months now and i just want to fix that damn squeak. help and suggestions please!!!