Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

E-brake light stays on..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-brake light stays on..

My e-brake light will not go off. I checked the ebrake handle and the master cylinder and both are functioning correctly.

I checked the wire at the ebrake for a short with my multimeter and there wasnt one.

The only thing I did was remove the cluster to take off the srs plug... Then e-brake light came on and wont go off... I check and didn't see any pinched wires.... I also dropped the fuse box but it didnt have any issues either.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: E-brake light stays on..

The ONLY way that light lights up if the input wire on the cluster's connector is grounded. Something is grounding it. The only other explaination is it's a message from God to slow down.

That light is connected to the e-brake handle, MC reservoir, and ABS system if equiped. If it is not grounded at the handle (pull the connector apart), check the fluid level or the reservoir wire (pull the connector apart).
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows what you say. The circuit gets power when key is on and grounds from brake or Master cylinder.

Here is the problem. If I use multimeter and put one lead to the wire at the cluster for the ebrake ground then touch chassis all over it doesn't show continuity!!!

So how can the light have a ground if there isnt any path to ground!!!!

If I take that lead and touch the ebrake wire it shows continuity which I would expect.

Don't hold me to this be use it was late, but I also think if I touch the cluster pin for ebrake and then chassis there is no continuity but if I turn key to on position it will then show continuity!
Now if this is the case how the hell is that possible.. I'll double check this tonight.

If you have any suggestions please shoot them to me..

It's pissing me off really bad, all I did was removed the srs plug and this happens. Everything I check is saying the ebrake circuit is not grounded yet the light lights up!

Last edited by uvamosk; 10-17-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone ??!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn it, I have the same problem. It's impossible to find any answers on this one. Definitely not the switch at the e-brake. Definitely not the wiring at the brake fluid reservoir, not sure what else it could be other than it's grounding somewhere. My light is bright with the e-brake pulled, but stays on somewhat dim, and even flashes a bit. Sometimes, it will just go away, but it always comes back on. This one is as confusing to figure out as the other problem I have with ABS code 1-8. I'm wondering if they're somehow related.