Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap

Hey guys,
Just to warn you this is no monster just a toy/daily for myself with an annoying problem. I've dealt with this glitch all summer and tried dynoing and street tuning with different settings however nothing helped. The problem is whenever I start the car when the engine is cold or if I just stopped and started it up within minutes the throttle has this weird on/off light switch effect while gently touching it. It's either you are lightly touching it and nothing then push a little more and it snaps and starts accelerating. Just like a light switch. It only happens at throttle closed to starting to open. When it happens it does this annoying bucking.... really sucks.

Once the engine is warm it stops or if I start the car with the command start and let it idle for 5mins or more. Other than this glitch the car runs excellent and is even easier on fuel than it was stock. Pin outs were swapped on the harness during the IM and OBD1 change over and the wiring change from 3 wire to 2 for the IACV. I even cleaned the IACV. The guy who tuned the car claimed that the IACV might need to be matched or tuned to the throttle body? Maybe I misunderstood considering that he is very french I'm really unsure about any adjustments on the IACV let alone matching to the throttle body. Also I believe he used a B series map since he did not have a D series one. Here are my mods:

Engine mods:
D16Y7
D16Y8 intake manifold
Password JDM thermal intake manifold gasket
AEM fuel pressure regulator
AEM adjustable cam gear
240cc injectors
Generic intake
SMSP 4-1 Jet Hot ceramic coated header
Metal substract cat
Tanabe Hyper Medalion catback exhaust
Shaved and balanced crank pulley
NGK “blue” wires
NGK iridium plugs
Frog OBD2-OBD1conversion harness
P06 ECU tuned with Crome Pro
Spoon radiator cap
Skunk 2 short shifter
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Evolution Industries 11.5lbs. flywheel

Any help and insight is very appreciated and please no " you should have bought a swap" antics..... Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap (NOOPS)

It could be anything from ignition timing not being where it needs to be to a fuel issue at that load level etc...

You should have the car inspected by a tuner.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 AM

Default Re: D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap (mtber)

Thanks, I was sure all it needed was a better tune at closed to open throttle.... however I questionned myself whenever it would stop once warm up. Could it be different fuel settings for different operating condition/engine warm up? If so I will have to do the next tune on a cold car.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap (NOOPS)

It not a stiff gas pedal right? Your saying the pedal is normal movement, just the engine isn't increasing rpm's and then all of a sudden it does?

Reason i ask is i had a sticky throttle cable, and did all the same **** your describing. Drove me crazy, to top it off, my clutch was going, so chatter and hesitating were a normal for me, until i got to a certain point.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Re: D16Y7 w/P06 ECU tuned w/Crome Pro w/weird on/off throttle snap (coneheadsracing)

"It not a stiff gas pedal right? Your saying the pedal is normal movement, just the engine isn't increasing rpm's and then all of a sudden it does?

Reason i ask is i had a sticky throttle cable, and did all the same **** your describing. Drove me crazy, to top it off, my clutch was going, so chatter and hesitating were a normal for me, until i got to a certain point. "

It's not a stiff pedal, you were right at first, the pedal movement is normal it's just the engine. My clutch and flywheel are both fresh and the throttle cable has free movement. My first car I owned developed similiar symtoms.... a 1992 Geo Storm....lol.... it was a sticky throttle cable.....

Thanks for the helpful responses guys!!!