Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

D series owners, what valve spring compressors work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series owners, what valve spring compressors work for you?

I'm looking for the type that allow me to remove the springs with the head still on the block.

I've been to all the auto parts stores near me and they all sell the same freakin ones.
I've tried 2 from OEM, 1 from NAPA, and some rented no-name brand from Autozone.
None of them work aside from the NAPA ones which were able to remove the exhaust springs but the intake springs are so close none of the compressors fit.

I've searched and seen only recommendations for the $200 universal Snap-on compressor, but I'm not about to spend that much on a tool I'll use a couple times a year. There's gotta be cheaper options...

If anyone has a compressor that works (especially on Z6 engines), please post the brand and part #, or link, thanks.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series owners, what valve spring compressors work for you?

http://www.valvemastercanada.com/

Check that out. I don't own one but it is something I'm looking to buy when I get around to picking up an air compressor.

I'm not sure if this is available in the US though... EDIT: it is actually, but I don't know who the distributor is down there
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series owners, what valve spring compressors work for you?

I own www.valvemastercanada.com , and (without sounding like a shameless plug) the reason I got the rights to Canada for this tool is because it works slicker than any other method for dissasembling and reassembling the valvetrain on import heads.
I bought a ValveMaster two years ago for my own use, and was so impressed with how slick it is in EVERY way on my own B-series and D-series heads that I arranged the rights to Canadian distributorship.
The tool is available in the US (I can only service Canada, though).
Seriously, buy one. The time and headaches this tool has saved me on my own projects has paid for the tool many times over.
And YES it does work as quick as the video on www.valvemastercanada.com shows. No BS.

If anyone has questions or opinions about the ValveMaster, feel free to express them here, or contact me through my website.